ReefCleaners.org

-click here- To begin your tidepool adventure!

Acoustic

I went to La Jolla Shore for the billionth time today. But, I brought my camera this time. So here is the only good shots that came out today. It was really hard to take quality pictures because it was about 13:00 hours and full sun with no clouds. Oh yeah, La Jolla Shores Ecological Reserve is located in San Diego, California USA.

View from the sidewalk:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, all the seals were gone too. That is the first time that I have gone there and never saw a bunch of seals. Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed the trip.

Acoustic cool pics man. We have some nifty tidepools down here in OC as well that I have been going to since I was a kid. I haven't really ever brought a camera though. Maybe I will give it a go sometime. We have alot of Urchins, Hermits, Crabs, Snails, Limpits, Sea Slugs, Octopus, Anenomes, Gobies, Starfish, and Brittle Stars in our tidepools. Maybe something to do this weekend since there are no waves.

If I do take some tidepool pics, would you mind if I were to add them to this thread instead of starting another tidepool thread?

Just wondering,

Gil

Ok then. Here are some tidepool pics from the Dana Point tidepools. Most of the pics were taken today at low tide, but a few were taken yesterday under full sun. It was overcast today which was better for pics.

Local Fisherman

egret.jpg

Brittle Star in its natural environment

brittle1.jpg

Brittlestar removed from water for pic

tidepool_brittle1.jpg

Local anenome

anenome3.jpg

Another local anenome

anenome4.jpg

Closeup of an anenome

anenome2.jpg

Closeup of anenome under full sun

tidepool_anenome2.jpg

More to come......

Continued....

Large limpet

limpit1.jpg

Another large limpet

limpit3.jpg

Different type of limpet

limpit4.jpg

Limpets are cute like puppies

limpit5.jpg

Limpet face

limpit6.jpg

Neat macro algae that is flourescent blue

macro1.jpg

More to come.....

A bunch of different colored starfish

star5.jpg

Closeup of a starfish

star2.jpg

Closeup of a starfish

star3.jpg

Starfish and anenomes

star4.jpg

Cucumber

cucumber.jpg

A kelp crab

kelpcrab.jpg

Sea urchins, brittle star, and chiton

urchins.jpg

Can you find the goby in this pic?

tidepool_goby.jpg

Until next trip.......

Gil

Crak, Thanks man.

Acoustic, do you turn over rocks in your quest for sea creatures at the tidepools? I always end up totally soaked when I go there from tromping through and sitting in water. I haven't been to the La Jolla tidepools before. Is it a marine reserve?

Mar Looney, yes there is amazing amounts of macro on the rocks in the tidepools. Literally covered. The rock isnt porous like the rock we use in our reefs. It is VERY dense, heavy rock. Difficult to walk on with bare feet because of mussles and barnacles. I'll bet walking on a warm water reef would be difficult with bare feet too.

Here is a picture of a great sunset at the Dana Point tidepools....

1110sunset475.jpg

Gil

I'll bet walking on a warm water reef would be difficult with bare feet too.

i've walked in a reef in the philippines where the water was so hot i literally had to run to deeper water 'cause it hurt! :D

Archived