Cultivated Reef

Downgraded to a 40 breeder... thread. PICS!

itzclayyo

twelve volt pro
hey if you add a toms aqualift to that u tube ( drill it )

youll never have to worry about losing the siphon

when i shut everything off the overflow for some reason might lose its siphon, thats a big problem

so if you add the aqualift when power resumes it automatically starts the siphon and sucks out air while its running normally to help as well

just an idea!

nice setup by the way

That might not be a bad idea for the simple reason that over time any air bubble in the U tube will get bigger and could cause the siphon to break while its running. The aqualifter would constantly remove any air in the top of the tube.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nicely done, sir. I am happy everything (or mostly everything) made the move. I love the scape BTW, great job!!

Thanks!

hey if you add a toms aqualift to that u tube ( drill it )

youll never have to worry about losing the siphon

when i shut everything off the overflow for some reason might lose its siphon, thats a big problem

so if you add the aqualift when power resumes it automatically starts the siphon and sucks out air while its running normally to help as well

just an idea!

nice setup by the way

That sounds like a cool idea B)

I may give it a try.

Looks great. Happy to see another breeder.

Keep up with the good work!

Thanks, your're breeder is awesome as well!

Nice tank, and that is a a hogfish, I believe it's called a candy hog and that's as big as it'll get.

Thanks, yea I remember researching it before I got it. I've had him for almost a year and he's so docile that I sometimes forget his actual name hehe.

Keep the pics coming! Can't wait to see the fish you add to the 135. That is definitely a yellow candy hogfish. Cool fish!!! My LFS got one not to long ago but I think it was only 3/4" long.

Keep the pics coming! Can't wait to see the fish you add to the 135. That is definitely a yellow candy hogfish. Cool fish!!! My LFS got one not to long ago but I think it was only 3/4" long.

Thanks, and will do! :lol:

I am definately going to be adding a Stars and Stripes Puffer to the 135. The lfs had a beautiful one that I asked to reserve for a few weeks :D

Still no sightings of the hi-fin banded goby in the 40 though :(

Found some pics from the move

about half the corals in a bucket

053.jpg

Right after aquascaping it

051.jpg

052.jpg

055.jpg

And today

yellow watman goby (aka Mr. Watchman)

058.jpg

Candy Hog

059.jpg

Toadstool

060.jpg

Finger Leather

057.jpg

Still no sightings of the banded goby. And I cannot get a picture of the 6-line!! He is a fast motherf***a!!!

I may be ordering some more of a CUC from Reef Cleaners.

Well nothing new has changed. Im gonna be doing a 5g water change tomorrow. Calcium tested a little low so I dosed some Kents Reef Essentials (calcium).

A lot of diatoms though, which I was expecting. I ordered some more snails from reef cleaners that should ship out monday!

Hey man, haven't had much time to check threads lately. I've been researching and freaking out a little about what appears to be a parasite on my Midas Blenny. Could be a fluke or an isopod (although these are rare). Just wanted to check in and see how that overflow is working. Still quiet and easy to keep it that way? BTW, not sure if I said this before but the scape looks really dang good! Keep it up!

bout damn time u came to your senses and got a 40 breeder!!! great job! tank looks excellent!!! you gotta check my thread! i redid my whole setup!! but urs still looks better! :(

Sorry for the late update guys.

Well my order from ReefCleaners.org came in on Wednesday and alls I can say is DAMN!!!!

John is the man! He gave me nearly double my order!

Well the tank is clearing up of diatoms which is great. Gonna put up pics soon.

Kind of wish I would have ordered a CUC from RC's but my LFS has a pretty good supply/variety and I hate to wait :lol:. Look forward to some new pics!

• 2 weeks later...
Kind of wish I would have ordered a CUC from RC's but my LFS has a pretty good supply/variety and I hate to wait :lol:. Look forward to some new pics!

Yea they are great.

Well sorry for no update in so long guys. The tank is going through a bad phase at the moment. And the reason- GREEN HAIR ALGAE!!! It's making me go nuts!!

Luckily, I caught it somewhat early but it's still a battle.

Once it sprang up I ordered a TDS meter and it turns out the water ive been using has a tds of 82 (LFS R.O.)

So once I read that I ordered a mighty mite, something that I have long needed. It just came in today.

Im considering doing a 3-day period of no lights to help starve out the gha, while doing 15% water changes daily. Thoughts, opinions, help?!?!?!

Pics

What I was able to pull out today by hand-

001-1.jpg

FTS AFTER i did that ^^^

009-2.jpg

Ignore the dirty glass. Also, the lights just turned on 15 seconds before the pic so that's why the corals don't look great.

On a brighter note though.......

Royal Pencil Wrasse added to the 135

002-1.jpg

005-3.jpg

The FTS doesn't look that bad at all compared to what you have in the bucket. You could certainly do a WC every day if you feel its warranted but its a new tank and its going to happen to a degree. WC every other day or twice a week and you'll be good to go in no time IMO. Either way I'm sure you'll have that GHA whipped in no time.

I have a bit of a diatom outbreak going on now as well so I feel you. They are only on the new base rock I added recently and some on my sand bed. Guess I didn't clean the base rock well enough and there probably was some silicates that made their way in. I shifted my sand bed around quite a bit as well so that helped fuel the fire too I'm sure. Nitrates hovered around 5-10ppm for 3 days and then went back down. Diatoms are fading away pretty good now though.

Nice wrasse too omgomgomg !!! Very nice colors.

Archived