SaltCritters.com

Downgraded to a 40 breeder... thread. PICS!

itzclayyo

Your charger will turn up. If you're like me it could be anywhere (did you check your fridge? :lol: )

Don't you hate it when things get delayed. Don;t sweat it though. It'll come together soon enough and it will be worth the wait.

I hope so! And yea I'm sure the chargers just shoved in a drawer or soomething :huh:

Yea, I'm sure it will work out for the best. And my lfs called me back and decided it was coming in friday :mellow:............ :happy:

The tanks filled up with sand now, still not clear though. I'l definately post up some pics tomorrow when it's cleared up. I just threw an old filter with some filter floss to help with the water clarity.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today is overflow day. Don't forget to post my pics or else :angry::lol:

Agreed!!! Post more pics!!! :D Nice house btw ;) ... I love where you put that tank!

Today is overflow day. Don't forget to post my pics or else :angry::lol:

Pics are coming :lol:

It's not setup yet but I got pics of the overflow for you B)

Agreed!!! Post more pics!!! :D Nice house btw ;) ... I love where you put that tank!

Thanks! On the way sir! :D

And thanks, we moved here about 2 years ago and love it!

And for the pics.........

Everything it came with

016.jpg

How I think it's supposed to be setup (without u-tube)

0123.jpg

0133.jpg

0142.jpg

With u-tube in, it just rests there :huh:

015.jpg

And POS directions

017.jpg

And now the fun begins, should have it all plumbed by tomorrow.

018.jpg

0102.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pics, I'm sort of in a rush. Wife wants to go out to eat with the family which is always awesome :happy:

Thanks for the pics. Your going to have some fun tomorrow. All I get to do is a boring ol' water change :lol: . Oh and I also plan to finish my screen top which has been needing to be done for a while. Please let me know how the noise level is with that overflow. Hope you had a nice dinner. We went out to but the food wasn't so good

Thanks for the pics. Your going to have some fun tomorrow. All I get to do is a boring ol' water change :lol: . Oh and I also plan to finish my screen top which has been needing to be done for a while. Please let me know how the noise level is with that overflow. Hope you had a nice dinner. We went out to but the food wasn't so good

I hope I have fun tomorrow. I got it all plumbed out and tomorrow is time for the livestock from the 135 to go in. I got my whole family doing it (well my sons, not wife) so hopefully we can get it done nice and smoothly. I'l definately let you know the noise level, right now the pvc cement is drying.

twelve volt pro

Looks like its turning out really really nice!! I am all for a colored background, once you get that overflow on there and all the plumbing done it will kind of clutter it up if its clear.

Looking forward to some pics with livestock in there!!

The stand and canopy look great man! I don't see too many grey stands :D

Thanks! It was an on the spot decision I made at Lowes :lol:

Looks like its turning out really really nice!! I am all for a colored background, once you get that overflow on there and all the plumbing done it will kind of clutter it up if its clear.

Looking forward to some pics with livestock in there!!

Thanks, I didn't spray paint it but I may just put on a cheapo black backround that you tape if I don't like it. I think a lot of rock will cover it up though.

So here's how we did it. First order of business, remove all livestock (except tangs) from the 135 into buckets so they can acclimate into the 40. Well, that's not so easy in a 135g tank with about 200 lbs. of live rock in it!!

We gathered enough buckets and 18g totes to take all the rock out of the tank (yes, that is nessicary in order to catch a goby in a 135 hehe).

Now that all the rocks out, and of course the tank is extremely dirty :o it's time to get to business. So we take out all the corals and fish into buckets and begin acclimation. While the rocks are out, I hand chose select pieces to go into the breeder and 29g biocube I have. All the boulders are to stay into the 135 (and the boulders that were in the biocube).

Once that's done, it's time to set up the overflow, which was really easy actually. You just have to stick an air tube into the U-tube, turn on the return and then start suckin the air out. Then the siphon starts automatically. It is very quiet as well, as long as you have the pads adjusted correctly (not clogging the drain).

Now it's time to aquascape, which is always fun. I think I got really lucky this time, as I think it looks amazing!

Then the corals and fish go in. Some of the corals may not make the move (specifically the galaxia and a few zoa colonies) but I knew that would probably happen.

Then it's time to plug the lights in and fire them up! And then sit back, and relax............

Not.

After that I cleaned out the 135 which was disgusting, and put all the boulders into it.

The total process took about 5-7 hours. And the hi-fin banded goby got lost in one of the bucket 'o boulders. After going through every single rock, the very last one I lift he comes out of :angry::mellow::)

So here's some pics.... Gotta love the pre-purple rocks eh? I've had most of them for over 2 years.

002.jpg

A bit closer..

005.jpg

Little more..

010-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Actinics

014.jpg

Under the canopy

016-1.jpg

And the sump for now

012-1.jpg

Excuse the dirty glass please ;)

So now I have to,

1- get the skimmer hooked up and installed

2- setup timers for lights

3- setup the fans

That's it for now :lol:

Everything still alive and kickin it. Im gonna test my water sometime today when I get around to it :lol:

The yellow fish (I think hogfish?) is finally out and swimming like his usual self. The yellow watchman already has a burrow system where he pokes out of the front cave and in the back haha. And the hi-fin banded goby has yet to be seen.

I'm not to worried though, I remember when I first got him I didn't see him for weeks, and then one day he was just out and about.

Evaporation is pretty bad, about a gallon evaporated yesterday with the MH's on for only 7-8 hours.

Im also heading to home depot or lowes today to get some tubing for the skimmer, then I could get that going.

:o looks really, really good, well done!!! Your corals don't even looks like they're too upset from the move. Congrats on getting everything transferred over. Love the big cave on the left and 5-7 hours was pretty good time. Please provide updates on the overflow. If you can keep it quiet on a consistent basis I will probably make the switch.

I lose about 1/2 gallon every day running my T5s so I am not surprised you are loosing that much.

:o looks really, really good, well done!!! Your corals don't even looks like they're too upset from the move. Congrats on getting everything transferred over. Love the big cave on the left and 5-7 hours was pretty good time. Please provide updates on the overflow. If you can keep it quiet on a consistent basis I will probably make the switch.

I lose about 1/2 gallon every day running my T5s so I am not surprised you are loosing that much.

Thanks man!! I truely appreciation it. Yea, most of the ones that look upset were upset before the move.

The overflow is doin great, if you turn the pump off it just drains right on out until it gets below the teeth. And yes, I was able to keep it consistantly quiet, just fool around with the pads until it's quiet. Also even with 1g evaporated it made no difference for the overflow. But I would still suggest to keep up with the top-offs :D

I have yet to turn the pump back on since I turned it off though, gonna do that soon. Hopefully the siphon starts automatically but I doubt it. Please see below for why :o

But we have a major problem....

On one of the 90 degree turns on the return water is dripping out! It's dripping out very slowly. I shut off the pump and put a lot of pvc cement on that crevice, so hopefully that should do the trick.

So the leak breaks the siphon? I'm clueless about overflows. Good luck with it.

Nope, but I think I fixed the leak :lol:

I had to un-plug the pump to fix it, causing the overflow to drain what it can into the sump (water above the teeth). I thought that this would break the siphon but apparently it didn't. When I plugged in the return (just now) the siphon started right back up again.

And on another happy note, my water tested out perfect in all aspects :)

Great to hear. Glad everything worked out well. Now relax and enjoy your new tank for a while :happydance: .

Thanks. I'l try lol, but I'm sure I'm just gonna need to tweak one little thing..... which always turns into everything :D

Got the skimmer hooked up so hopefully it will start pullin out some junk.

u should have spray painted the back of the tank black or blue dude..

but overall bad a** tank and setup

Thanks man, I'm still debating weather or not to put a backround on it. The pics really don't do it justice.

Some more pics

open brain (you can see the galaxia, was like that before the move. I don't think it's gonna make it)

011-1.jpg

yellow watchman goby

012-2.jpg

yellow hogfish?

013.jpg

cleaner shrimp

014-1.jpg

favia brain

015-1.jpg

and the surface flow is nice..

016-2.jpg

And here's some pics of the tangs in the 135. I'm gonna wait a few weeks before adding more aggressive fish. The blue tang is about 5.5" and the yellow is probably 4.5"

017-2.jpg

018-2.jpg

twelve volt pro

Nicely done, sir. I am happy everything (or mostly everything) made the move. I love the scape BTW, great job!!

hey if you add a toms aqualift to that u tube ( drill it )

youll never have to worry about losing the siphon

when i shut everything off the overflow for some reason might lose its siphon, thats a big problem

so if you add the aqualift when power resumes it automatically starts the siphon and sucks out air while its running normally to help as well

just an idea!

nice setup by the way

Archived