SaltCritters.com

Cut the BS

just_got_tanked

You guys missed an important point here: what type of lighting were you running over the tank you've been keeping for the last 2 years? What type of setup, lighting and livestock are you currently keeping? Much easier to make a parallel for someone when you can figure out a reference point for them.

You start by asking opinion of people about why they put more and more light over a tank. Honestly, the "rules" of lighting (complete misnomer, if you ask me) are not much different than in a larger tank. More intensity, more stuff you can keep.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just_got_tanked

I was running two power compacts over my 60 gallon. I had 246 watts between the two.. so that was just over 4 watts per gallon. I had mostly shrooms in the tank. There was also a hammer, daisy coral, some xenia, a maxima clam, and a deresa.

The nano that I am currently running has some polyps, a ricordia rock, some assort. shrooms, some xenia, and a umbrella leather.

The leather is about 5" from the lighting.

I have asked around every lfs in my area. Every single person said that I would be fine with the livestock that I chose.

With what you have now that is adequate lighting. If you really ever want to do SPS or clams sucessfully you'll need more light for sure. Without more light SPS may fade or die and clams def. won't make it. You might be ok with a derasa now but any Crocea or Maxima's are really not feasible at the moment. As Kenard said you have low to med light corals.

just_got_tanked

As far as my nano goes I am almost totally stocked. I may do some more zoo's or some shrooms. I have the perc in my tank and I would also like a sebea in there for him. The way this tank is set-up there is not alot of room for anything else.

just_got_tanked

I never wanted to put any hard corals, or clams in my nano. If I ever decide to do any of those I will get a metal halide on my 60 gallon.

With that little of lighting, a sebea is just a dream. First, they demand huge lighting, second, anemones should be tried by experts only, and third, I don't think percs host in them. A larger leather coral or Xenia will be a nice substitute for anemone. When my maroon was still alive, he hosted in a mushroom anemone. Clowns are "dumb", and will host in anything resembling an anemone.

actually percs DO host them but.......i wouldnt get one.they are usually bleached,they are one of the harder to keep anenomes,and yeah,they DO need alot of light.:P

Archived