inTank Media Baskets

Cut the BS

just_got_tanked

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just_got_tanked

I originated this thread, and titled it the way I did to get a response. I wanted people to give a response about the positioning of the corals and how it relates to the lighting that you will need.

You can't keep many, if any corals under that little of lighting. And hey, if you are reading the thing that says when we registered, you aren't getting the full amount of time we've been doing this. I have been doing this for over a year now, but have only been on nanoreef since june. Some of these guys have been doing this for 10 or years. Iunderstand now why ESPI is so ####ed with these October newbies

I agree!!! If you did manage to put a zoo colony or some GSP in there, and they survived.....they'd lose their color and the tank ould be bland as hell!!!! Certainly you'd have hardly no coralline growth.....

If bland was cool, we'd all just buy lava rock and stare at it!!!!

Originally posted by just_got_tanked

like i said to many pros

How about you show a little respect. Man....I'm totally willing to help but being as ass isn't gonna cut it here. Have you ever thought about possibly posting more than one comment in a post?

I'm been "reefing since I was 12"......working on 15 years of reefing experience that I like to share with people who show a little respect and make there realy questions obvious instead of playing games.

You want help I'd suggest playing a little nicer....

Cameron

Originally posted by just_got_tanked

I am not knocking you physh1 I went to your site and it rocks. I am only going after people who flamed me

Ok...well then I'll start here. If you want recommendations and help than please try to post some more specific tank specs and setup specs. Shallow is too broad of a statement....need more specificity to really answer yout question.

Cameron

Seriously, why? If you really have been reefkeeping since 2001, shouldn't YOU be able to answer this or yourself? 2 watts per gallon, that's a joke. All your looking to keep there is caulerpa. And 12" water depth doesn't mean anything. It depends on how clear the water is, where your specimens are in the water, etc. My 20 gallon is 12 inches deep, but less than 3/4 of the light that hits the surface reaches the bottom.

2 watts per gallon not being able to keep polyps do some homework
think about what you are saying

I think you take your own advice and think about what the hell you're saying. 2 watts per gallon is suitable for a FOWLR set-up. Polyps would be lucky to survive, and if you can get them to survive in that little of light and still keep perfect health, growth, and coloration, I will not only back down, but I will thank you for saving me money on light systems. What are you going to ask next? "Can I use 100 watt incandesents to increase the lighting?". Do your home work before you post, wise ass. All we want to do is help you newbies out, we only flame if you try to fight us. Keep that in mind if you run into Dave ESPI.

many people here have been in this hobby for many years bofore finding this site. i've had marine fish since '90 i don't claim to be a pro cause I don't know everything

but I do know light is what makes things grow low means low growth or no growth and by 2w per gallon do you mean a 20W on a 10 Honestly should only be fish, LR. snails, crabs, feather dusters. sponges and some gorgonians. maybe calurpa and and maybe a suncoral

these are the only thigns i know of that don't require lights I have heard that yellow polyps may survive in low light and some shrooms but my personal exp is the ones that that didn't recieve good light don't do to well

for your own long term happiness dump the skimmer and get some decent lights first:)

????!!!!!!!!anger.....hostility.......no point!why are you so angry!geez...2 watts per gallon! what are YOU thinking. im thinking shrooms.thats about it.those will definetaly thrive under 2 watts per gallon.IMHO.

is the 96w overkill on a 10g or does it work out okay?
I would have to say, not overkill. My 10g with the 96w powerquad is dimmer than my 2.5g with 52w of PC (which makes sense, four times the surface area with only twice the light). As many many reefers have said, I wish I had more light. :-/ But the powerquad should let you keep any softie out there, many LPS, and several less-demanding varieties of clam and SPS.

Archived