Cultivated Reef

Jungle John's Clam Cove Pico

Jungle_John

yes and no. ive done some calculations but these are only theory until i actually get the clams in there.im going to use a 2 part dosing machine plus Kalkwasser water drip line. together this should be stable.

-J0hn

Cool, I won't be getting mine for a few weeks at least. I guess it would be as easy to just test over a couple of days and monitor uptake and then just dose to that check etc for a bit. Then can set up a doser. I have alot of free time atm so I do all my top offs and lights on and off manually. But I am considering getting a timer for my M.H. No point for my blue lights as i have to suspend them daily because they hang lower than the M.H. and would probably melt under that all day plus cast quite a vast shadow.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jungle_John
Cool, I won't be getting mine for a few weeks at least. I guess it would be as easy to just test over a couple of days and monitor uptake and then just dose to that check etc for a bit. Then can set up a doser. I have alot of free time atm so I do all my top offs and lights on and off manually. But I am considering getting a timer for my M.H. No point for my blue lights as i have to suspend them daily because they hang lower than the M.H. and would probably melt under that all day plus cast quite a vast shadow.

yea i totally suggest a timer:) yea every tank doing to be different so your going to need to watch it. mine will take alot more for its going to have 6 SPS in it and 2-3 clams.

gere go look into this, good way to keep cal, alk, ph up

good info here

http://www.reefaquariumforum.com/what-is-k...lkwasser#p46006

• 2 weeks later...
any updates?

haha sorry ive been super busy. been trying to get into a new school, and my grandfather pass last week. but i must say i need to do a update. so here it is:)

basically my tank still cycling, i have 1 hermit in it and 3 mangroves. mangrove doing good but there getting a little... soft? idk what thats about but they growing good.

hermit soon will get 3 more friends to help with the algae. it seam to stop growing now.

heres a front shot.

8-1.jpg

and one with stand. notice mangroves coming out the back :lol:

7-2.jpg

here the sump

9-1.jpg

it has a ATO that works good. a CA1800 now. the temp stays at 81F. light in the sump is 24/7. soon im going to add a kalk drip(when i get corals in) and the timer is on a 12/12 cycle.

this is going to be my tester coral next week

1-7.jpg

so let me know what you guys think:)

-J0hn

excellent update

sorry about your grandfather :(

thanks, and thanks about ,y grandpa. yea we knew it was coming it was just a matter of time.

im hoping though soon to have this tank going fast again. ill try to do more post.

Nice looking clams. What happened to your Nature Valley mod you had going in the sump???? The flow is going to be all messed up now. :P

thanks guys :P i just wish my tank will finish its cycle so i could continue :lol:

yea the nature valley mod just look so good i had to eat them -_-

haha no truly i ate them :P

-J0hn

Cool, cheers dude. I want to make one of these for my tank, though i find salt creep on my wall as i get a bit of splash from my tank as well as evap, so not sure r.o. would keep the s.g. right, i top up 3:1 ro:salt water

Cool, cheers dude. I want to make one of these for my tank, though i find salt creep on my wall as i get a bit of splash from my tank as well as evap, so not sure r.o. would keep the s.g. right, i top up 3:1 ro:salt water

hmm idk then:( i get almost no salt creep and the little i do get i nock it back into the tank.

quick little update. no photos but i did add a blue tip voodoo and 2 zoa frags just to see how they do.

im also trying to figure away to drop temp as my pump runs hot and keeps the tank around 81-82 (im using a mercury thermometer so its hard to tell) anyhow just a bit to hot so trying to bring it down some how.

2 mangroves doing good, other not so hot. we will watch them.

i did a water check, all good :D

so lets just wait and see. B)

-J0hn

I can't believe I've been missing out on this thread. Awesome job! Love the pre-planning and I really like how this tank is coming together! Good job on the drilling and the sump too. :)

Can you not use a desk fan for temp control? I'm hoping to get my hands on some azoo 4 fans from a guy i know doing a tank break down. I'll be focusing the airflow over the water rather than at, more to keep the mh hot air away rather than surface evap.

I can't believe I've been missing out on this thread. Awesome job! Love the pre-planning and I really like how this tank is coming together! Good job on the drilling and the sump too. :)

haha thanks :happy: i got it all from your thread :lol:

Can you not use a desk fan for temp control? I'm hoping to get my hands on some azoo 4 fans from a guy i know doing a tank break down. I'll be focusing the airflow over the water rather than at, more to keep the mh hot air away rather than surface evap.

i got the temp down to 81 just by changing my light cycle but i still got to watch it. and would like to get it lower.

so my blue tip... dead bleached out, and the zoas closed and not opening. i took them out but i dont think there going to make it.

water test all good i cant figure out what it could be :angry: im starting to wonder can the grey pvc i used leach chemicals unlike the white? do any one know? or im using a new trash can to mix water. its a cheap 3$ white one form wally world. can this be doing something?

im thinking but getting no were like always -_-

help :o

:(

haha thanks :happy: i got it all from your thread :lol:

i got the temp down to 81 just by changing my light cycle but i still got to watch it. and would like to get it lower.

so my blue tip... dead bleached out, and the zoas closed and not opening. i took them out but i dont think there going to make it.

water test all good i cant figure out what it could be :angry: im starting to wonder can the grey pvc i used leach chemicals unlike the white? do any one know? or im using a new trash can to mix water. its a cheap 3$ white one form wally world. can this be doing something?

im thinking but getting no were like always -_-

help :o

I haven't gone through your thread to check, but do you have a power head in the tank that could have some rust in it? Do you keep a mag float algae thing in the tank? Just a thought.

hey guys :)

no powerhead :happy: or magnet :P

but i think i found the cause, my float switch was leaking current into my water. i didnt realize the tingling on my hand, but after awhile i relized that wasnt normal. i tested it with a volt reader and yep thats what it was.

now its fixed :lol: and had 3 purple hornets in there for 3 days now all looking good. when i get time this week im going to add some rics and sps. and test them out.

ill try to keep it posted! :D

thanks guys-J0hn

• 3 weeks later...

sad news guys, bills came today. im so broke im selling this tank. it was fun but i got to let it go. and a friend is going to take my clams probably.

if any one is interested let me know, i can drive but most people to far for me. if i dont sell ill let you know what happens to it.

Archived