SaltCritters.com

Great Toronto Area Frag Trading

Yamato

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice to see this thread still going. I say keep trading and if there can't be a trade made, then offering to buy or sell is just as good. Just keep it in the family, bc the money gained here will probably be fed back into the hobby in one way or another.

Just an update, I hooked up with 6264. Nice guy, gave him my ricordia like promised. Just a referal for those who want to meet up. As a result of this thread, a few GTA reefers has met and traded! PurpleG and I converse regularly in email. I even made a rack for her new Cadlight 22G. She didn't have to spend $38bucks USD on one and wait for it.

Benefits of dealing locally. I am going to make some ATO...once finished, I will try to add it to the thread. If anyone is interested, PM me...but polly should wait for the results. Keep everyone here posted. We should really organize a frag trading meeting. Everyone bring their buck of frags and meet up somewhere. Just seeding an idea.

@duck - I've never seen a red pipe organ coral for sale - they're usually white, rarely blue or green. Never seen a red though.

As said before flame scallops are a poor choice - they die, and the longest I have heard of anyone keeping one is about a year, but that was with a constant drip of phytoplankton - so unless you're prepared for that, I'd save your money.

Just found the site, just found the hobby... guess I'm as new as it gets. Hope to be getting some frags for my tank once it settles a bit. Hopefully some of you on here are open to the idea - but I'm afraid I don't have any frags myself so I'll hope to purchase. fingerscrossed

I wonder if you could keep a flame scallop by dosing with that KZ coral snow stuff.. supposedly its optimal size and stuff for filter feeders and corals. It must come in delicious tuna flavour. lol

Benefits of dealing locally. I am going to make some ATO...once finished, I will try to add it to the thread. If anyone is interested, PM me...but polly should wait for the results. Keep everyone here posted. We should really organize a frag trading meeting. Everyone bring their buck of frags and meet up somewhere. Just seeding an idea.

Yeah! Definately wouldn't mind meeting all the T.O. nano fanatics - beginners to experts! I'm more or less a salty noob. Share stories, trade/buy/sell frags. Would be good. When and where - at some point we should all meet up!

ZANE.

Yay, a GTA thread!

I'm still in the process of setting up my new tank, does anyone have any parts that they're willing to sell:

- 20L Tank

- AC70/110 Filter

- Some kind of decent lighting that's 24" or 30" long

Other odds and ends that you're willing to sell. It's tough finding SW hardware other than Big Al's which is nearby (relatively speaking) but is always so expensive compared to online shopping.

*definitely in the wrong section, but I figured I'd show all the fellow GTA'ers first....

City: Mississauga

Selling: WHOLE SETUP (going smaller, i.e. pico)

Setup includes:

- 20 gal. rimless tank

- 15 lbs of live rock

- 24" T5 (6 bulbs) Lighting fixture (bulbs included, only used for 6 months)

- Hydor Koralia Powerheads

- 110 Aquaclear (attempted to mod and failed, noisy, probrably needs to be cleaned)

- about 50 aptasia heads (darn things are hard to get rid of)

this tank was home to a few corals (mainly zoos and rics) and two b/w ocellaris baby fish who hosted around the powerhead... going to move corals and fish sometime this weekend to my gf's tank (2 year old 50 gallon) tank...

price: 200$ CAD takes it now or best offer

*if interested, email current pictures of the setup

contact information:

Jose

647-235-5902

Hello fellow reefers, it's really nice that there is interest for a frag sell/swap meeting. Hopefully we can get a venue with some food (maybe make it a pot luck), and if people would like, maybe even watch a sports game (not the Leafs though because they suck) if the interest is there. Let's make it happen

I'm having a battle with red slime, like to say I'm winning - but at least I'm not losing ground. Does scrubbing down the LR covered sections and rinsing assist in detering re-growth?

I'm having a battle with red slime, like to say I'm winning - but at least I'm not losing ground. Does scrubbing down the LR covered sections and rinsing assist in detering re-growth?

not the right place for this guy, but no. you need more flow in the areas in which it's growing and you need to reform your lighting schedule. Also grab some red slime remover it'll take care of it nicely

oops, sorry about the mis-post... but thanks for the information illuminano, I appreciate it.

anybody willing to trade or deal in the K-W, Cambridge areas?

Id live to trade too - I have a big head of hammer coral that is taking over my tank when it expands...id like to frag it except i dont know how! (dont own a dremel)

Hey Torontonians,

Got some stuff for sale, but I'll just start with 1 item first.

1) RED MANGROVE PODS/ SEEDS (starting to root) for SALE! Much cheaper than any store in T.O. selling them for.

Pm for price and details. Multiple purchase = better price.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi 6264,

Long time no talk! By the way, the frags I got from you are all growing nicely even though I went through quite a bit over the last 2 months.

I'm also interested in getting together!!!

I have some frags up for trade if anyone is interested. I will have to take some pictures.

I have a pinkish/orange yuma, yellow polyps (from Yamato and are blooming so much that I can afford to frag), green button polyps (from 6264 and again are blooming so much that I can afford to frag), and maybe even some purple mushrooms. I wouldn't mind getting some ricordeas and pulsing xenias.

At this time, I'd also like to say thank you to both 6264 and especially Yamato for helping this newbie transition into the complicated saltwater world. Yamato is super handy, he helped me built a media rack for my 22g cadlights that works like a charm and is now working on helping me build an ATO. He also build awesome LED lights!!!

Hello fellow reefers, it's really nice that there is interest for a frag sell/swap meeting. Hopefully we can get a venue with some food (maybe make it a pot luck), and if people would like, maybe even watch a sports game (not the Leafs though because they suck) if the interest is there. Let's make it happen
  • 3 weeks later...

I have some sad news, folks. I'm getting out of the hobby. At least for a while, but i want to offer some of my equipment up here before i try to sell it anywhere else. The big ticket item is a Reef Keeper Lite System 3. It's less than 2 months old and i've taken immaculate care of it (as i do with all my equipment). I'm asking for 250. I also have my Skimmer and Media reactor (Sapphire aquatics) that I'm offering for 100 for both.

I know this is the wrong place to put this but i'd like to deal locally, us torontonians need to stick together.

So I'm pretty low on funds, but I like a nice varied full tank, and so I'm looking for a bunch of various soft and hard coral frags. All different types of leathers, finger, toadstoool. Mushooms, any type. Maybe a colt coral and some kenya tree. Polpys are good too; looking for those little blue star polyps, as well as any anthelia, interesting xenia types as well. I'm a HUGE fan of photosynthetic gorgonians of all types as well. Any kind of fast growing hard corals like trumpet, torch, whatever would be nice. Not looking to pay more than about $5-$10 per frag. But if you have a bunch of softy/lps frags you want to move ASAP, please give me a shout. I'm not picky, I just want the tank to look a little more filled in. I'm in Woodbridge, so anywhere in the GTA works for me.

I have some sad news, folks. I'm getting out of the hobby. At least for a while, but i want to offer some of my equipment up here before i try to sell it anywhere else. The big ticket item is a Reef Keeper Lite System 3. It's less than 2 months old and i've taken immaculate care of it (as i do with all my equipment). I'm asking for 250. I also have my Skimmer and Media reactor (Sapphire aquatics) that I'm offering for 100 for both.

I know this is the wrong place to put this but i'd like to deal locally, us torontonians need to stick together.

No worries - if you still have that RKL3 I have cash in hand for you.

I already sent you a PM ;)

• 2 weeks later...
non-photosynt

Hello, I'm at Toronto East.

Does anybody here keeps non-photosynthetic corals and filter feeding invertebrates for a more or less long time, or plan to do that and have the place left?

I'm trying to downsize and sell or trade some of my animals, but I have to be sure that they will be well cared for, by people who know how to do that and have possibility, in terms of time and funds, to do that.

Everything is not in the prime condition (filtration is not perfect), but comparable with what you get in LFS from not a recent shipping.

All require:

- quarantine, as any new livestock, to ensure that they will not infect your tank by something

- eliminate some aiptasia, fighting this all the time

- feed them well to restore their health. At present time it's my health or theirs :D , and way beyond my budget

- have efficient filtration to compensate nutrients input.

I have:

1. Sun coral frags (Tubastrea aurea, coccinea, faulknery, diaphana, micrantha, Cladopsammia gracilis, and possibly Denrophyllias, branching salmon pink and yellow).

2. Different Christmas tree rocks with Spirobranchus worms, so no aiptasia controlling fish there of toothy fish, that will eat them in no time.

3. Sea apples, one big and the second is very small, a rescue case. You know about keeping them, I warned.

4. FW: Single ghost shrimp and java moss, free, from unheated tank.

Maybe something else, but this is I could think about at the moment.

Oldest are 3 yrs in my care, cukes almost 2 yrs. I'm looking to pass them to somebody who can continue to do that.

How about starting a separate thread with problems and solutions, where to find something, what interesting you have seen and where, organization and storage for apartment dwellers, tips on fish and picos and so on. I have a lot of questions, but on topics that are not so interesting for the others, judging from lack of replies :P . Maybe a local hardware/glassware classifieds thread too.

As for organizing nano-club, sorry, I'm not a regional club going kind, prefer online forums.

Best regards.

hi guys, im from barrie and im looking to add some coral frags or some new fish to my 20g reef and i dont feelk like paying big als prices. i have two pajama cardinals that are looking for a new home. im not sure that anyone is interested but im not looking to get much at all for them but anyone that is interested let me know and we can work something out. thank you.

Just checking in on fellow Torontians.

Awesome to see ppl check this place out. Lets hope one of us can organize a get together so we can bring a bucket of coral to trade and sell :).

As for now, I have completed and tested two ATO using air pressure to pump water into the tank. The reserviour is about 2-3G jugs (the short ones for water coolers, kinda stubby looking). I will post pictures. I need to order more parts but PurpleG got her's. If you interested, I will see if I can put some together. Cost is pretty high, but you can set it up and forget it. Let's say I don't miss having to top off every freaken day!

I will try to check in on this thread more often.

Has anybody else traded, like really traded and interacted with each other?

One circle of friends:

6264 Yamato and PurpleG

Archived