ReefCleaners.org

BC14 LED Setup

dhraakoxr

After some experimenting last night, I managed to get some good pictures. Your regular blues may have helped in this instance, as I know the royals saturate the camera sensor badly. Nicely done though.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After some experimenting last night, I managed to get some good pictures. Your regular blues may have helped in this instance, as I know the royals saturate the camera sensor badly. Nicely done though.

Cool, thanks man. Do you have link to your pics?

Haven't posted any of those pics yet, but I might.

You should, I haven't seen a ton of good pics with systems that have LEDs on them.

Full tankers:

Concho:

More of the Queen... maybe too big for the tank but it's an awesome snail and I feed it stuff on the side.

That's all for now.

There is a sweet sale on acros and zoas .. so I think I'm gonna clean house on the zoas and try an acro right in the back top of my tank. I have 3 whites LEDs kinda centered around that area so I figure it will get the PAR it needs to thrive.

• 2 months later...
looking good pretty nice growth on that acro

Seems ok .. I only have 5 "growing" LEDs for that acro so I was impressed to see how it's doing as it. I don't know a lot about acros and I thought I'd try it out. Happy so far. It has two new heads on the base that should eventually turn into branches.

• 3 months later...
2YearOldElegance

How is the visibility as far as your rock goes? Your corals are vibrant and colorful as hell but compared to the stock lighting, there is much less color/brightness on the rock. Comparing the 2 pics below, why does my stock BC14 look so much brighter overall?

(Keep in mind Im only referring to brightness. I understand this doesn't have to do with par levels or which light is more beneficial to the corals).

post-38208-1260775770_thumb.jpg

post-38208-1260775783_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
How is the visibility as far as your rock goes? Your corals are vibrant and colorful as hell but compared to the stock lighting, there is much less color/brightness on the rock. Comparing the 2 pics below, why does my stock BC14 look so much brighter overall?

(Keep in mind Im only referring to brightness. I understand this doesn't have to do with par levels or which light is more beneficial to the corals).

Hey, about that slow reply on my part haha.

The brightness is WAY brighter than stock lighting. The reason it looks dark is due to the method of taking pictures. I take them to show off the coral colour. If I remember I'll snap another shot of the tank show casing the brightness and the mad SPS growth since that last picture. I cannot believe how much it has grown since that last pic. I could frag it like 6+ times now.

I cant wait for nanocustoms to get my BC29 5.6 built and shipped...I really hope they know as much as you Evil on placement of the Cree Led's....I kind of left it up to them...

I cant wait for nanocustoms to get my BC29 5.6 built and shipped...I really hope they know as much as you Evil on placement of the Cree Led's....I kind of left it up to them...

Don't worry, you are in good hands.

Interested in seeing the pics of your SPS growth.. I haven't had mine long enough to see anything major.

mind the algae .. it's a constant removal process. Remove one to get replaced by another form. I don't mind it too much, gives everyone something to eat.

This one shows the general grown. This was taken today. I'd say there is a fair amount of growth.

This is what the true colour of the SPS looks like under the blues:

mind the algae .. it's a constant removal process. Remove one to get replaced by another form. I don't mind it too much, gives everyone something to eat.

This one shows the general grown. This was taken today. I'd say there is a fair amount of growth.

Hey Evil .. I'm not sure if you've touched on this or not .. have you figured anything out regarding amount of white LED's per area and its effect on acro growth (or any light needy coral)? I don't know how many people have 2:1 ratio setups like I do but it seems to have worked well. It's almost like my acro needs one white to be happy as you can see it's "arms" are stretching towards the closest white LED. Maybe this is just coincidence mind you.

That's mostly dictated by flow. Royal blue LEDs produce almost as much PAR as cool whites, so it doesn't matter much.

Oh wicked, cool, thanks for the info

• 3 months later...
tundrashaul
couple more pics .. on July 15th 09 I bought a small frag of the following sps:

As of Sept 4 09 this is it:

Not bad I'd say!

:eek:

thats amazing growth in 10 months, great job

dhraakoxr
:eek:

thats amazing growth in 10 months, great job

Thanks! The craziest part was that most of the growth was really only in 3 months.. I don't know what made it grow like it did .. but did she ever go.

Currently I'm having water chemistry issues that I'm SLLLLOOOOWLLY fixing.. my salt decided it would be cool to mix at 1800 mg and 5.5dKH .. needless to say I bought new salt and am slowly getting the tank back to proper parameters.

It's nice to see my tri tipped coral getting blue tips for the first time... tells me it's liking the change. I've also upgraded my LEDs to 3A instead of the 1.75A I had before so everything has been adjusting to that to (mind you I'm not running it @ 3A .. that'll take time).

Just so I can keep my build on one page it continues here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...191053&st=0

• 5 months later...
Did you adjust the color of your photo's at all?

The only thing I did in about 80 percent of these photos was apply a sharpen filter that was all.

Archived