Innovative Marine Aquariums

BC14 LED Setup

dhraakoxr

johnamon, if you are stripping threads, the hole you drilled may have become too large as you drilled it. Even with 3mm/4-40 threads, you should be able to really crank down on the screws to the point of distorting the metal on the pcb. It is a lot harder to get accurate holes without a drill press, so you do have to be more careful later.

Thermal epoxy is never going to be a replacement for bolting down the LEDs. Clamping pressure is important to getting the best thermal transfer. The method that dhraakoxr used is a good last ditch alternative though.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johnamon, if you are stripping threads, the hole you drilled may have become too large as you drilled it. Even with 3mm/4-40 threads, you should be able to really crank down on the screws to the point of distorting the metal on the pcb. It is a lot harder to get accurate holes without a drill press, so you do have to be more careful later.

Thermal epoxy is never going to be a replacement for bolting down the LEDs. Clamping pressure is important to getting the best thermal transfer. The method that dhraakoxr used is a good last ditch alternative though.

Other than than being able to easily remove and replace LEDs via the screw method I don't really agree with screws having a better ability to induce heat transfer (via clamping force) than a thermal adhesive specifically designed to get into all the peaks and valleys of a mounting surface. That is unless the screw method is complemented by a thermal grease under the LED .. in that case then the screw method is far superior. But I cannot see the screw method by itself being superior in heat transfer.

Of course you would use thermal paste.

I just didn't feel like going through all the trouble of drillin n tappin so I went this route

I cannot believe how much of a difference in color these damn LEDs cause the corals to emit. It's like there's a black light over my tank or something.

Do you guys know how to take good quality pictures of corals and stuff .. because man .. it's ridiculous. I had no clue they would make THIS much of a difference. It's like color popping city or something .. my freakin jaw dropped.

If anyone can point me in the general direction of taking descent pics to show colors off please do tell because I'd like to share them.

screw caring about any sort of costs or energy saving etc .. the colors alone pay for everything. CRAZY

i hope my setup goes over just as well. glad to hear yours turned out great!

the best place to start for photos is a good DSLR and zoom/macro leses. if you dont have any of these, skills with a point and shot will suffice. i plan to geta DSLR soon for my old lenses.

setup the room with the tank in it to be as dark as possible, except for the tank lights. that way there is no reflection on the glass. do not use the flash on the camera. use a high shutter speed and low f stop (i use 2.8, the lowest my point and shoot allows) and make sure the image is focused.

other than that, it is pretty simple. alot of people get pissed when you edit your photos, so only edit to show the true colors if the camera doesnt do the subect justice. my photos tend to be a little washed out, so i up the colors until it looks like the actual tank.

what color temp would you say the 2:1 gives you? post some pics and an FTS so we can see the eye-popping new led's in action!!!!

I cannot believe how much of a difference in color these damn LEDs cause the corals to emit. It's like there's a black light over my tank or something.

Do you guys know how to take good quality pictures of corals and stuff .. because man .. it's ridiculous. I had no clue they would make THIS much of a difference. It's like color popping city or something .. my freakin jaw dropped.

If anyone can point me in the general direction of taking descent pics to show colors off please do tell because I'd like to share them.

screw caring about any sort of costs or energy saving etc .. the colors alone pay for everything. CRAZY

:lol: Welcome to my world! There is no turning back now.

Pictures with LEDs are hard, regardless of what you are using to take them with. It's the royal blue LEDs that make it hard. Best thing I can suggest (on top of what mg4015 said) is to shoot in RAW mode. This removes white balance from the equation and it can be adjusted in Photoshop or similar to get the results you want. Also, turn the pumps off.

:lol: Welcome to my world! There is no turning back now.

Pictures with LEDs are hard, regardless of what you are using to take them with. It's the royal blue LEDs that make it hard. Best thing I can suggest (on top of what mg4015 said) is to shoot in RAW mode. This removes white balance from the equation and it can be adjusted in Photoshop or similar to get the results you want. Also, turn the pumps off.

Thanks for the advice from both of yah, I will try my best!

I had a few spare computer connectors that I used so I can easily disconnect the power supplies if need be. I need to buy larger heat shrink tomorrow to finish some stuff off and I'll likely get some split loom to make everything prettier.

:slap:

Are those Dell PA-9's? How did you use them?

Are those Dell PA-9's? How did you use them?

Not sure of the model I'll have to check em out .. but they are Dell for sure.

I simply cut off the connector that plugs into the laptop, stripped the plastic insulation off, bunched up the external wrapping which is the ground, stripped the internal insulation back to expose the +ve wire, tinned and soldered. They work like champs.

Not sure of the model I'll have to check em out .. but they are Dell for sure.

I simply cut off the connector that plugs into the laptop, stripped the plastic insulation off, bunched up the external wrapping which is the ground, stripped the internal insulation back to expose the +ve wire, tinned and soldered. They work like champs.

I see...So, you use the Dell adapter to power the Buckpuck?

Very Cool...any way you can put up some pictures of that?

Honestly unfortunately the only picture I have of the actually connection before it all got soldered together is this:

Ok so for the big update.

I still have a few things to do and I need to clean things up and finalize mounting etc. But here is the semi-finished setup:

Hood gutted and ready:

Kinda finished .. I still need to mount my fans properly:

Toggle switches and POTs:

Showing how I was able to use the stock cover to protect the LEDs.. now I just need something to protect the wires AND I need to clean them up more:

Finally figured out how to kinda use the camera to capture color.. unfortunately there is a lot of red in the picture due to what I did to take the pic:

And for some coral pics .. hopefully I will get better at taking them.. but the colour is close to what the corals actually look like. Lunar Eclipse on the left, Green Bay Packers on the right.

Fireball:

Japanese Zoa of some form:

Lunars:

Horizons:

Wow. Nice pictures. What did you do to get them to come out so well?

I put my camera into manual mode, put the aperture speed to as slow as it could go .. 1 3/4 I think and then put the camera on manual white balance mode. I aimed the camera in macro mode at the coral of concern allowed the camera to adjust the white balance and then took the shot. I really need to repeat this process again with a tripod and then see how it goes. The colours wern't perfect to what I could see with my eyes but close.

Do u have UV LEDs on there?

I do not.

I have blues and royal blues but I am not sure if the combo makes a difference or not. I need to get another buckpuck so I can have the blues individually powered as to see if having two blue wavelengths makes a difference.

Some other pics:

Better pic of a Florida Ricordea:

I love the colours of this zoa the best. I believe these are Green Bay Packers:

Other Ric:

Pink Sparkle Zoa:

Cost breakdown:

Royal Blue CREE LEDs (5): $42.30

Blue CREE LEDs (5): $42.30

CREE Q5 LEDs (5): $50.00

BuckPucks (1000/750): $45.00

HeatSink: $28.00

Wire: $20.00

Heat Shrink: $4.00 x 3 = $12.00

Switch: $8.00 x 2 = $16.00

Flux: $9.00

Flux Remover: $9.00

Fans: $12 x 2 = $24.00

Thermal Adhesive: $20.00

Egg Crate: $5.00

I had everything else like the soldering iron, solder etc.

Total cost in CAD without shipping for a few items: $322.60CAD

Obviously I have nice round numbers listed so there may be a few dollars variance. I did not include shipping since anyone in the states would likely get much cheaper shipping.

damn nice zoas, especially any of the yellow ones. got trade names on all those?

I don't have names for them all .. it was really hard to ID them under PC lighting, but now that I have colour I'll see if i can ID it all.

I have added names to a few of the pics already attached.

that last pic is awesome. (drooling wishing my colony of dragon eyes and dull orange zoas was that cool)

Haha thanks. I'm amazed my Canon A560 can do any of this. I honestly thought I have to go out and buy a digital SLR to get pics like that. I guess I proved myself wrong which is a perk :D

Upper Zoa garden pic:

You'll have to excuse the bubbles.. the water level decided to get a little low before I got home. :huh:

Zoa ID (not sure if I'm 100 percent correct) from top left to bottom right:

Mean Grean, Pink Sparkle, Horizon, Fireball, Japanese Zoa of some form

Archived