Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Why Acros Like High Flow

Gilman

Originally posted by Gilman

I have yet to go outside of US/Canada/Mexico. Maybe some day.

Gil

costacostacosta man!

its cheap, probably even moreso becuase you are closer than I. But for less than $1000 you can live like a king for 2 weeks and surf like a king for 2 weeks. B)

i have never been to the wedge it looks awsome and a little scary

back in oahu there is sandy's beach were the waves get big and break a few feet from the sand I have been Pounded hard there a few times.

if the swells are bigger than 5ft the waves break outside of the reef and give great fast hollow barrels that are easy to pull into and almost never close out untill the reform right over the sand

oh you make me miss the ocean so much!

yea:)

i visited before the hurricane but the water was a giant lake maybe I will hear about some good spots in the future where there may actually be waves or find out when there are waves

T, I was wondering when you would stumble upon this thread. heh, somehow I knew you'd care. Thanks for compliments on pics. I am definitely not up to risking life and limb for the glory of the wedge, but love getting down there to shoot pics. I am going to capture it this year on large south swells, and I will be sure to share them here.

I would dig going to costa, and may next year. One of our guitarists is trying to plan a trip, and Liza and I would like to go too. This is a perfect situation since Liza can sit on the beach and take pics of us getting pitted in a foreign country.

Gil

Originally posted by mattie

yea:)

i visited before the hurricane but the water was a giant lake maybe I will hear about some good spots in the future where there may actually be waves or find out when there are waves

Should be a little sum sum for you right now ;-)

Gil, you'd LOVE costa. If you have any ?s dont hesitate to ask, itd be my pleasure to offer my info :)

:on topic: it is wild that the acros CAN handle that motion in the ocean :)

i used to surf a spot called piko's and there is giant shelf of corals some of which is a brown type of acro the waves break right on it and the water is generally less than a foot deep with some peices poking out i can't recall ever seeing any small broken frags but occasionaly on our way back in we could see some big pieces that have been pushed past the coral shelf to the sand where the water is 2-4 ft deep and size of the chunks one that i recall seeing and thinking it looked cool was a big piece of staghorn? coral that was a perfect tree with the base in center and the branchs cumming up all to the same level like it was a table or had been manicured by nature where it was 14-15 inches across it was only 6-8 inchs from base to tip. my friends did not understand my intrest and why i would not let them take it home I placed it back in the sand bed face up in hopes it would continue to grow

Hey Gil,

Just wanted you to see the specs on todays session I had @ 6:15 AM. Paddled in the almost dark to watch the sunrise with perfect head high sets, warm air and water, and the dolphins putting on the show, and the Jacks feeding on the mullet. Now with my minibow, that I got stocked on friday by Bryan Kile @ The Logical Reef with killer zoos, 3 types, frogspawn, candy cane, ricordia yuma, and a kenya Tree, and 4 strait days of head high surf my marine experience has gone to the next level.

Having my nano has helped me appreciate surfing and the ocean in grander way, it all seems just so amazing. Near the jettys where the main break is, there are fairy wrasses, sea whips, and other gorgorians. Also a huge selection sport fish including drum, tarpon, shark, speckaled trout, king fish, and even a sail fish or two. It is a very diverse area for marinelife. The bay is the largest hypersalinity bay in the world. It has an ave depth of 2.5 feet. This makes it an amazingly fun place to kiteboard also. No having to swin aroud when learning, just stand up.

(Rambling...just thinking about that last wave before having to come to work, and how to make an excuse to leave)

And remember it is Texas.

BEACH and SURF REPORT by Gene Gore

Day: Mon 11/3/03 Time: 10:00am update

Wind: SSE @ 10-15 Water Temp: 78°

Wave Dir: E Wave Size: (face) 4-6'

Water Clarity: Sandy green Seaweed: None

Rip Current Index: Moderate Jellyfish: None

Island Weather: Mostly sunny

Surf Conditions: Surf this morning was one of the best I've seen all year, glassy lined up swell

with overhead sets, feathering lips, warm water, dolphin jumping in the surf,

Padre at its best! SSE wind is picking up with slightly choppy conditions but

the swell is still pumping!

Surf Outlook: Solid E swell continues for the next few days in the 4-6' range, low pressure moving into the Gulf may build the surf even more by midweek with continued

warm weather. Fall surf is here!

And congatulations on the Tank of the month! It is an inpiration to me.

You Kiteboard BikeLock? Lucky man. I wanted to get into it but once I figured up all the cost there was no way I could afford it. I guess I'll just have to stick to wakeboarding.

Kite boarding is a blast. Yet there is a large initial expense. Not as expensive as a boat, and I do not need any gas.

Heres a pic of a friend of mine blasting some huge air, surf side.

http://www.airpadrekiteboarding.com/kite-surf-air6.gif

Here is a typical windy day(the wind always blows, especially when I am at work) on the bay side.

http://www.airpadrekiteboarding.com/kite-surf-air5.gif

Well while the waves are good I will surf. And when it goes to sh*t, which it always does, the kites will be back flying.

Kiteboarding rocks.

Gilman The Wedge is great place, Used to skim on small days. Usually too big for me, I would sometimes go to pearl or diamond street in Laguna beach. I think Those wedge guys are nuts.

Wavelengths are a funny thing. At any standard beach the wave amplitude is directly affected by the depth of water. It is approx. 2/3 as tall as the wave. So when a wave breaks, say 3 feet tall, the water can be as shallow as 2 feet. At the wedge (look in the overexposed pic), a wave break extends out into the water, as the waves come in, the power of the waves get multiplied as it bounces off teh seawall, and back into itself. It is an awesome break to watch. (This science info is of coursed based on a slow sloping, perfeclty flat beach face, we all know this isn;t real world conditions so don't flame me :P)

Nice pics Gil! Congrats on Tank of the Month. Come on by and pick up some frags for your tank! I'd like to be a part of minibow.com as well. I will pop in over there soon!

we get some decent waves on the tx coast, but its usually when somethin is spinnin up in the gulf. I always love to see the ppl goin out when a storm is making landfall. good times.

the storm riders remind of me of the surfers from apocalypse now.

"This LZ is still pretty hot sir, maybe we oughta surf somewhere else."

"What do you know about surfing your from god d*** new jersey!"

"IF I SAY ITS SAFE TO SURF THIS BEACH, ITS SAFE TO SURF THIS BEACH!" *mortars explode in water and bullets fly past*

i dont surf but i do my fair share of skim boarding when I'm at the coast

Gil, those are some great shots--I always like your photos.

I must say I'm a bit envious of you guys who get to surf, or have had the chance to do it regularly. I live smack dab in the middle of the state, on the fringe of alpine mountains and high desert. It's about the last place you'd touch a surfboard, so I've done the next best thing. I'm 25, married, father, drive a mini-van...and just started skateboarding. Next time I'm "clacking" down the sidewalk I'll think of you guys. Don't take it for granted.

donteatthenano

so i found this thread searching for information on tree corals and here i am at the end of the thread knowing so much more than i did before.

as my contribution to this thread, i can only offer that we don't have waves like that in sunny southeastern ohio but they sure look like fun.

great pics!

Originally posted by skylsdale

Gil, those are some great shots--I always like your photos.  

I must say I'm a bit envious of you guys who get to surf, or have had the chance to do it regularly.  I live smack dab in the middle of the state, on the fringe of alpine mountains and high desert.  It's about the last place you'd touch a surfboard, so I've done the next best thing.  I'm 25, married, father, drive a mini-van...and just started skateboarding.  Next time I'm "clacking" down the sidewalk I'll think of you guys.  Don't take it for granted.

Thats Awesome man.

What about snowboarding? Thats surfings closest sibling IMHO and tons of fun.

I'm sure it's quite a sight to see me and a bunch of jr. highers rolling around the makeshift skatepark downtown.

Yeah...I tried snowboarding back in high school. I had been skiing since I was 4, so the whole idea of having both feet strapped in was tough, and the different sense of balance made it difficult for me to really do well. But, I just love the feeling of just carving down the pavement...so maybe I'll try and hit the slopes one of these seasons again. There's a resort about 30-45 minutes away, so it's kind of nice to just head up for a day. I REALLY wish there were some empty swimming pools around here...there's another thing you guys have down there in SoCal.

Archived