Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

14 Gallons of pure addiction...

jdantunes

No I haven't started my thread yet.I am planning on it tonight. I am actually getting ready to get up from my lazy butt and go grab the camera. I had a NASTY algea outbreak in the last week so I waited. But it is crystal clear now. I got a new toadstool today really liking it. Keep your eye out for Lawnmans Reef later tonight.

Brad

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No I haven't started my thread yet.I am planning on it tonight. I am actually getting ready to get up from my lazy butt and go grab the camera. I had a NASTY algea outbreak in the last week so I waited. But it is crystal clear now. I got a new toadstool today really liking it. Keep your eye out for Lawnmans Reef later tonight.

Brad

Where is the link? I would like to see your tank.

ihatesears18

jdantunes I swear you are my step-dad's lost twin.....everytime I see your avatar I think he's started Reefing without telling me....

jdantunes I swear you are my step-dad's lost twin.....everytime I see your avatar I think he's started Reefing without telling me....

I don't get that too often, if he as good looking as I am?.... :D ....seriously?

Looking better and better. Nice Job.

Hey guys, thanks for all the positive thoughts...

But my tank is not doing so good. Last few days has been very, very, very hot in Florida, and I keep my tank in the front room in my house. My water temperature got high up to almost 83.5. I lost my Torch coral in less than a day :( and my other corals aren't that happy.

I lower my temp to 81 but during the day gets to 82.5, if I turn off my koralia nano, the temperature gets lower. Wonder if I should take the koralia out of my system, and let the stock flow handle it. Or add a new exhaust fan to keep air flowing during the day. Any other ideas? I really don't want to spend $300 in a chiller to cool down such a small tank.

I give a piece of advice here, if you are new in this hobby, and your tank is not at least 6 months old and stable, don't get a torch coral. I have read other members threads and every one who had a Torch in the beginning stage has lost it. Don't do the same just to please your addiction, just wait for the right time. ;)

Actinic lights on at 10am - off at 10 pm, 10K lights on 11am - off at 9 pm

Refugium underwater light and moonlight on at 10pm - off at 10 am

Stock & Koralia nano running 24H

I got the prove off my digital thermometer in return chamber.

pH 8.0 - Ammonia 0 - Nitrite 0 - Nitrate 0

Now my newest Zoantids colony won't open

IMG_1882.jpg

Just like that small colony I bought weeks ago

IMG_1872.jpg

What should I do next??? :huh:

I don't know what to do at this point. Maybe try to move them to a less lighted area. Under a ledge? Just an idea. Sorry if I'm not much help.

It looks like the larger colony is trying to open on the top area.

Sorry to hear about your heat issues. I would leave the feeding lid open with a fan blowing into the tank. That's what I did before I bought a chiller and it worked very well.

Aim a fan directly at the tank during the hot part of the day. That should help. If you need a bit more help, try cracking the lid open a bit (maybe with a wine cork or something.)

Aim a fan directly at the tank during the hot part of the day.

+1 To my amazement this was enough to bring the temp of my AP12 down during the day.

:lol: Yeah! I seen those pics before....

Hey guys, thanks for all the cool ideas, I took advice and got my tank running at 79.1F. I also install blinds on my bay windows last evening, hope that helps.

Let me tell you, the guys that cut blinds at Home Depot sucks, better take your measuring tape with you. I had to come back to the store twice to get them right.

I'll try to keep posting any changes, have a great day!

Hello there!

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer, lots of outdoor activities and not much indoors. B)

Well my big colony of Zoanthids never came back they started melting a couple of days after my last update. The small colony remains closed, I'm just crossing my finger for them to open once again.

Temperature problem is fix, I keep my new blinds closed and office door open, tank stays between 79F to 80F. I'm going to try again my Koralia nano this weekend. Also ordered the nibble-nano, now that I added more LR there's some tight spots I can't get clean.

Here's a couple of shots...

I decided to add another piece of LR to my aquascape, adding more space to mount corals and creating a couple of caves. I love the new look and my shrimps love their new hideout place.

IMG_1890.jpg

Also bought these frag of Eagle Eyes Morph, very bright and colorful.

IMG_1894.jpg

I think in a couple of weeks, I'm going to buy another Torch. I love the look of them and this time I going to add something smaller than my last one. If I don't get the Torch I'll get a frogspan instead..

Jonathan A.

It's looking great. I feel like my BC14 has been hit or miss. It's definitely a work in progress. You should be proud of what you have built!

Tank is looking good as always. Sorry about your zoa colony. Hopefully the others make a comeback. Any sign of why they melted?

I need to focus on moving my tank in 2 weeks and then I will begin adding some more corals. So my tank for new corals is frozen.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for all the positive thoughts, guys! ;)

I know I haven't update in a while. But I been busy at work, and also run to another little problem with my tank. Looks like my peppermint shrimp develop taste for coral. After I added him to my tank, kill all the aiptasia, pick to death my Torch coral and also I saw him a couple of times picking at my Duncan coral. I gotta say, my Duncan closed up right after I put him in the tank and did not open until a week after I took the damn shrimp out. :angry:

Taken him out, was not fun. I have to take half of my rock out, just to catch him. After I got him, I just put the rock back, but didn't rearrange my aquascape, just left it alone for about a week and a half.

Today, I redid my aquascape, did a 5 gallon water change, and all looks good. :happy:

I'm thinking to add one last fish, and some more zoanthids in the next week or so. Also I'm looking for a small Torch, Plate Coral or Open Brain. Haven't decide yet. :unsure:

Good to hear from you. I know what you mean with the shrimp.I had the same problem with a Pistol shrimp.Took me forever to get it out. I got me a new Solana 34 this week.LOL I started a thread got my custom stand almost built today. I should have it filled with water in the next few days.

Good to hear from you. I know what you mean with the shrimp.I had the same problem with a Pistol shrimp.Took me forever to get it out. I got me a new Solana 34 this week.LOL I started a thread got my custom stand almost built today. I should have it filled with water in the next few days.

Hey, that's awesome! Good luck with your new tank. I'll follow your new thread.

I want to upgrade, but I mean it. I'm saving my pennies because I want to by a custom tank probably a 67G 48X18X18, or a used 75G. Not sure yet.

Today my tank is 4 months, and is been amazing all that I have learn along the way. I've made new friendly connections, that I would like to thank for helping me understand this hobby and for sharing their good and bad experiences with their system and livestock.

My newest addition is a Coco worm, I read about this wonderful creature, and I'm going to try to house him for as long he could live. I been feeding Phyto for about a couple of weeks prior to get him, and I'll continue feeding my tank Phyto every other day 5ml.

If any of you have keep a Coco worm in the past of if you still do, please drop me a post and let me know your experience, I'll appreciate all the help.

To conclude, hope everyone have a wonderful week and keep enjoying of our little cubes of marine life.

Here are my latest pics;

FTS

IMG_1921.jpg

Shot of my growing Zoanthids garden

IMG_1925.jpg

Shot of my Ricodeas and Trumpet

IMG_1928.jpg

Mushroom wall (right side of tank)

IMG_1931.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone...

I can't believe my Bio Cube is nine months now...I been running this cube with stock lights and stock circulation pump keeping softies and LPS without any complications.

All my parameters are keep in check with bi-weekly water changes and daily routine care. My tank residents are a pair of false percula clowns, a six line wrasse, a skunk cleaner shrimp, a coco worm, a sand sifting starfish, several blue legs hermits and turbo snails.

I just install a new set of bulbs and fans last week. I got some new shots. Hope you guys enjoy.

Nice shoot of my coco...

IMG_2415.jpg

I bought these in Orlando at World Wide Corals (Pink Armor of God)

IMG_2414.jpg

Duncans

IMG_2470.jpg

Branching hammer and Candy Canes

IMG_2473.jpg

Love this pic

IMG_2476.jpg

Left side view

IMG_2480.jpg

FTS

IMG_2455.jpg

Wow. The tank is looking really good. Love the diverse colors. I see you decided to get some duncans haha. I just fragged mine. It was about 15 heads large and taking up too much room. I only kept 2 heads and gave my friend the rest of the colony. Gonna get some corals in trade but havnt picked them up yet. Glad to see you back on here. I have been busy and havnt updated in a while with pictures but I have been keeping up on my weekly maintenance. How are your nitrate levels with the 3 fish? Any thoughts on your next corals?

Happy reefing,

Jon

Archived