Pod Your Reef

New Tanks Make Me SMILE

Weetabix7

Super quick down 'n dirty pics of new arrivals from UH--

IMG_5320.jpg

Tubbs Blues

IMG_5321.jpg

Jokers Palys

They will probably be all the way open tomorrow, doing a WC shortly and also adding a beautiful Red Goniopora from BibleSue.

Hope to have better pics tomorrow.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Urchinhead
Hello friend! Good to um..................read you????????? Well nice to see you around.

I be here mate. Just dealing with a mega addition and remodel right after a move. We went from 1,860 sq ft to 1,240 and will be adding on 1,100ish so its been rather hectic of late.

Ah! Good! They look pretty happy for such a short time in your tank! Now let the feeding begin! :)

Good grief!! That's a colony of blues. They look great!

Inorite???

They look even better today.

I'll try to get updated pics before too much longer.

I am dead beat right now though and have a crazy day tomorrow, so it may take me a couple of days.

We'll see.

I just got an Orange Skunk Clown today too, so hopefully I can get pics of that.

Well down here in the South we call em "flares", but yeah, I likes em!

I haven't even shown all the new ones yet, hopefully soon!

And here's the Red Goniopora now in my tank. It's my birthday present from BibleSue. :flower:

IMG_5329.jpg

Here's some better pics of the Tubbs Blues and Joker Palys I got on Thursday:

IMG_5325.jpg

IMG_5326.jpg

Here's the free Purple Hornets from NCRA, one of these frags belongs to Militant Jurist:

IMG_5331.jpg

And here's my ticked off Red Acan Bowerbanki, wish I knew what was going on with it :(

IMG_5333.jpg

Those new frags look even better now!! Sorry the Acan is pissed off...alk and everything good?

Alk-- approx 9.4 dKh

Ca-- 460

Mg-- 1410

I just got some PE Mysis and fed it some of that this morning a few hrs before lights on.

It's looking a little better today.

Previously I had fed it regular Mysis, but it was kind of old.

Alk-- approx 9.4 dKh

Ca-- 460

Mg-- 1410

I just got some PE Mysis and fed it some of that this morning a few hrs before lights on.

It's looking a little better today.

Previously I had fed it regular Mysis, but it was kind of old.

Hmmm...all of those numbers look great. How long has it been acting funky? I've been feeding my LPS a mix of Cyclopeeze, New Life Spectrum Pellets(2 types), and PE Mysis soaked in Selcon or Zoe. Feeding it shouldn't be necessary, but it surely won't hurt.

Good news, Acan Bowerbanki is looking better!

IMG_5358.jpg

I just love these guys, can't stop taking pics of them :wub:

IMG_5359.jpg

Urchinhead
Good news, Acan Bowerbanki is looking better!

IMG_5358.jpg

Hummm.... Not to sound the broken record but... Salifert Pellets will save the day! Try that and check your flow/light. Looks like something is irritating it into staying closed. Could be flow.

I just love these guys, can't stop taking pics of them :wub:

IMG_5359.jpg

Now you are making me blush!

I have a feeling those Blues will be making the NR rounds a bit, which is totally fine with me. :happy:

UH, I did feed the Bowerbanki some of the Salifert pellets.

Gave it another nice, tasty meal of PE Mysis and Salifert pellets again this morning and it gobbled em up like a piggy.

Minor update stuff--

I switched out my MP20 for a couple of Koralias on a wavetimer.

Atm, I'm using 2 Koralia Nano 425's on opposite sides of the tank.

I've been surprised by how much flow they put out, and they are half of the size of the Koralia 1 that they are replacing in the Hydor lineup.

I just hooked them up to the wavetimer last night and only watched it for a little while before it was lights out for the tank, so we'll see how the corals look today after having that set up overnight.

I was having problems with some kind of brown junk growing on this one spot in my sand in the front of the tank.

After reading about them on jjjo's Branch Reef tank thread, I ordered one of these from Reefcleaners: http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=sho...t&Itemid=34

I'm hoping that he will help to keep my sandbed in better shape.

Just as an experiment, I also switched out my 24w Blue+ and 24w GE 6500 bulbs for an old 39w UVL SuperActinic and an old 39w Blue+.

Yesterday was the first whole day that I had that combo on over the tank, and I noticed that there was noticeably less brown stuff growing in that spot in the sand.

Normally it grows over the course of that days light cycle and starts to recede before lights out, only to start over again the next day.

Yesterday I saw half as much of it as I had been seeing under the old bulb combo and I am wondering if the GE 6500 was encouraging it's growth with it's strong yellowish daylight spectrum.

The bulb change is pretty much just an experimental thing, doubt I'll stick with it long-term.

The Bowerbanki continues to look better. :happy:

Great to hear on the Acan. I think you'll really like the Koralia's...I'm using the new Evolutions too and they rock. I hope the bulbs end up doing what you want.

Great to hear on the Acan. I think you'll really like the Koralia's...I'm using the new Evolutions too and they rock. I hope the bulbs end up doing what you want.

Yeah, I was really worried about the Bowerbanki.

Since it's responding so well to the food I'm feeding it, I'm just gonna keep up the feeding regimen.

I'm still kinda tweaking the new circulation with the Koralias and the wavemaker, gonna be fiddling with it for a few days I'm sure.

The bulbs-- well, like I said, it's experimental.

It's giving the tank a Deepwater type look, but it's kinda cool.

I was surprised to see lots of little bubbles being produced, which to my knowledge means an increase in photosynthesis.

The reason I'm surprised by this is that the tank visually appears dimmer and the 2 bulbs I put in are both old (at least a year) and one of them is a UVL Super Actinic which is low PAR.

The 2 new ones are both 39w with individual reflectors though, while the 2 bulbs I took out were 24w bulbs that only had one single reflector behind them.

Sorry if I'm boring or confusing anyone with the bulb switcheroo talk, I just enjoy comparing them and found the results interesting.

Militant Jurist

I wonder if you're seeing the increase in photosynthesis despite the low PAR perhaps because the bulbs have red-shifted enough due to age?

Happy Late Birthday! your new corals look great!

If your new evolutions start running backwards on the timer shoot hydor an email and they will send you new bushings that fix it all! I had mine running on a wavemaker for a few days and then they started running backwards a lot.

Urchinhead
I have a feeling those Blues will be making the NR rounds a bit, which is totally fine with me. :happy:

UH, I did feed the Bowerbanki some of the Salifert pellets.

Gave it another nice, tasty meal of PE Mysis and Salifert pellets again this morning and it gobbled em up like a piggy.

Happy day! An eating acan is a happy acan! My bloody nem is now on her 4th fracking silverside and is now a bloody full foot in diameter! Want an anemone by chance?

What is the length of your tank? Depending on length you may or may not be able to produce a wave and may want to go back to the MP20 for its turbulent/diverse/random flow pattern. Can you get it below 10 seconds on the pulse? If so back it down to the lowest setting you can get it to between pulses (Like less than 1 second) and you should see a wave in your size tank. (I just saw the photos of it and edited this) If it won't go below 10 seconds then like I said you may want to put the 20 back in.

Just saw the second post on your acan. Keep feeding and you will be shocked at how fast those suckers will grow. Bloody weeds they are! Especially with what you are feeding them.

Also keep an eye on that conch. They need a pretty big area to do well. You will find them usually buried in the sand until lights out with just their snout sticking out. Loved em for sand cleaning when I had sand. *HATE* Nas. snails. Completely worthless they are! Other than to steal other fish/coral's food. If this one doesn't work out think about a stag horn crab. Your lights will support it and its one of the top cleaners out there.

Length of tank is 30" in the Display area.

I don't think I'll go back to the MP20. I used an MP20 for about 1 1/2 yrs. and had constant problems with it working right.

The Customer Service at Ecotech is hands down some of the best I've ever encountered anywhere, they were very quick to send me replacements as soon as I notified them of problems, but then the replacements wouldn't work.

I think I just have an Anti-Vortech zone around my tank or something. :wacko:

It's a pity, I love what Vortechs do and would have loved to get one to work for me long-term.

On the wave, I can get a pretty short burst from the pumps timer-wise, but was concerned about that being really rough on the Koralias.

If I had used a wavetimer like the Red Sea one that has a soft start function, I might try it, but I don't think the wavetimer I have has that.

Waves are cool and stuff, but since I'm not really doing SPS in this tank I'm okay without a wave as long as my corals are healthy and happy.

I knew the Conchs need a good sized area.

I got a Juvenile one on purpose for that reason.

I decided to try one after reading about jjjo using one in his 20g tank and having good luck with it.

I will def be keeping an eye on it though.

I had never heard that about the Staghorn Crab.

Thanks for your input on that, I will have to check that one out. :)

Archived