Cultivated Reef

ion's 29 gallon

irogers

qwiksilver711
The only thing cooler than watching one take down a starfish would be two hunting as a pair :)

i agree, they are beautiful creatures... I'm afraid i'm pretty much hopeless when it comes to a good lfs, I bought my clowns there, but thats all I would buy there... and maybe salt. The rest I must use the interwebz for

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you! It is a really cool little creature. He took that starfish behind the rocks and then reemerged about 5 days later, leaving nothing behind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread, neat tank! That red mushroom colony looks nice, pretty cool the clown will host it :)

I love the shrimp! Awesome pics of it eating the starfish

• 2 weeks later...
Just found this thread, neat tank! That red mushroom colony looks nice, pretty cool the clown will host it :)

I love the shrimp! Awesome pics of it eating the starfish

Thanks yoshi! I have to trim that mushroom colony weekly. The clown hates it but she hosts almost every, the hammer, duncan, mushrooms, even that little U in the rock in the center up top. And the shrimp is a blast. I would recommend one if you can get a steady stream of starfish. I had literally hundreds of asterina starfish and he consumed them all within two weeks so they need a lot of food.

Thanks yoshi! I have to trim that mushroom colony weekly. The clown hates it but she hosts almost every, the hammer, duncan, mushrooms, even that little U in the rock in the center up top. And the shrimp is a blast. I would recommend one if you can get a steady stream of starfish. I had literally hundreds of asterina starfish and he consumed them all within two weeks so they need a lot of food.

Cool! My clowns don't host anything, but I guess you could say my YCG "hosts" my frogspawn. Maybe I should kick him out so my clowns can move in lol

Yeah they eat starfish like crazy! I could get a steady stream of stars, but it sounds expensive! :lol:

Cool! My clowns don't host anything, but I guess you could say my YCG "hosts" my frogspawn. Maybe I should kick him out so my clowns can move in lol

If it is tank bred it just might not host. My female is wild caught and she hosts everything, but my male is tank raised and he doesn't really understand the concept. He will sometimes swim near her when she in the mushrooms or something but he doesn't interact with them in the same way.

Yeah they eat starfish like crazy! I could get a steady stream of stars, but it sounds expensive! :lol:

I only have one harlequin so a medium sized chocolate chip will take it like 7 days to eat and then it just hangs out for another 5 to 7 days. After that it will start getting really active and obviously be hunting so then it is time to find it again. They are only like $10 at the lfs so every two weeks is no big deal.

If it is tank bred it just might not host. My female is wild caught and she hosts everything, but my male is tank raised and he doesn't really understand the concept. He will sometimes swim near her when she in the mushrooms or something but he doesn't interact with them in the same way.

I only have one harlequin so a medium sized chocolate chip will take it like 7 days to eat and then it just hangs out for another 5 to 7 days. After that it will start getting really active and obviously be hunting so then it is time to find it again. They are only like $10 at the lfs so every two weeks is no big deal.

I've heard of that, but I have seen many tank raised clowns host nems/coral, I just think wild caughts are probably more likely to host.

Oh, that's not as bad as I thought. Are they very aggressive towards other shrimp?

Oh, that's not as bad as I thought. Are they very aggressive towards other shrimp?

Nope. I have a peppermint shrimp that shares a burrow with my YWG and they completely ignore each other.

I just looked up from my paper to notice that a significant number of bristle starfish had started crawling out of their hiding places and onto the back glass. The water looked really cloudy which was odd because I did a water change this afternoon. But when I got closer I realized that they were spawning. They all climbed up together and piled on top of each other before breaking off in twos, falling down, and mating. I snapped a few quick shots before it was over. The whole thing probably lasted ten to twenty minutes.

IMG00040-20110309-1926.jpg

the blurry thing on the right are two starfish that had just coupled up

IMG00041-20110309-1927.jpg

Nope. I have a peppermint shrimp that shares a burrow with my YWG and they completely ignore each other.

That's cool a non-pistol shrimp will have that bond with the goby!

Good to hear, I would be worried about my sexy shrimp, just cause it's so small

I just looked up from my paper to notice that a significant number of bristle starfish had started crawling out of their hiding places and onto the back glass. The water looked really cloudy which was odd because I did a water change this afternoon. But when I got closer I realized that they were spawning. They all climbed up together and piled on top of each other before breaking off in twos, falling down, and mating. I snapped a few quick shots before it was over. The whole thing probably lasted ten to twenty minutes.

IMG00040-20110309-1926.jpg

the blurry thing on the right are two starfish that had just coupled up

IMG00041-20110309-1927.jpg

Wow! Awesome! You must have alot of stars for it to make the water significantly cloudy(that you would notice)

Good to hear, I would be worried about my sexy shrimp, just cause it's so small

The harlequin ignores everything in the tank. Fish, coral, the conch, shrimp, crabs, snails, food. Unless it is one of the species of starfish he eats, he really doesn't care that it exists.

Wow! Awesome! You must have alot of stars for it to make the water significantly cloudy(that you would notice)

Thanks! Yeah there were probably 30-40 of them on the back glass. They would couple and exchange gametes. They would fall while this was happening, and then when they finished the let go and then stood up high on their legs, like the machines in War of the Worlds. They kept releasing their gametes into the water in this position too so the water was really cloudy. But after like 10 or 12 minutes they all just stopped what they were doing and starting crawling back where they came from and the water cleared up like an hour later. It was pretty rad. I have had trochus snails mate in my tank and have a bunch of baby snails pretty much all the time, but I have never seen anything like this before.

I really liked the harlequin shrimp attack sequence of pictures :happydance:

Your harlequin shrimp is amazing! Great job on your tank too! All your corals are very nice.

Is your clown a Picasso? , it has a nice pattern

If only I could get a blue harlequin shrimp here. sigh :tears:

I really liked the harlequin shrimp attack sequence of pictures :happydance:

Your harlequin shrimp is amazing! Great job on your tank too! All your corals are very nice.

Is your clown a Picasso? , it has a nice pattern

Thank you! The harlequin is really a blast to watch hunt. It is really smart. I have watched it problem solve before. He was trying to pull a starfish up a rock face but it kept grabbing on to the rock. So the harlequin pushed it off the rock, flipped it over on its back, and dragged it back. That's when he started flipping them on their back right away, and I got some shots of that in that sequence.

The male clown I got here locally when it was really small, it was only labeled as tank raised true perc, but the pattern does look very similar to a picasso pattern to me. I'm not an expert on how those color patterns and grading systems work though.

If only I could get a blue harlequin shrimp here. sigh :tears:

A LFS won't order you one?

I waited for about six months on a waiting list, and I just happened to be in the store when one came in.

Archived