ReefCleaners.org

ion's 29 gallon

irogers

oh funny, he just moved a few months ago but i have been down there a few times to check it out. i like it out there, i think i am headed out again in june

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything in the tank has been going well in the past week or so. The GHA problem i was having was solved by changing to RO/DI water, so the tank has stayed nice a clean. I added a few new residents over the weekend.

Australian Brain Coral (from aquatouch)

IMG00063.jpg

This guys is awesome to watch eat.

Lemon Lime Zoas (i think, also from aquatouch)

IMG00061.jpg

And a companion for my perc

IMG00064.jpg

The original clown quickly whipped this guy into submission, he is still a little afraid of her.

The mushrooms I picked up last week are doing really well, the purple shroom is growing and has three little mushies coming out from the base. I also put in a peppermint shrimp a few days ago and he already molted and seems to be doing well.

Looks like your tank is coming along well... I was in the same boat as you... I started my tank with treated tap water and did a few water changes with it... huge mistake.... After switching to RO it's been a lot easier to maintain. As someone else mentioned I just use the refill culligan water at the grocery store... If I fill up a 5 gallon water bottle it's only $1.25... Good deal eh?

Anyways, check out my 29g tank thread in my sig... I just posted it yesterday so maybe I forgot to add something if you have any questions...

Good luck!

Looks like your tank is coming along well...

Good luck!

thanks for commenting mckay, your tank looks sharp. my LFS sells water for like $.40 a gallon which is nice, plus it is an excuse to go to the fish store :)

Question for the professionals... so a crab or something must have knocked one of my mushroom frags off the rock it was on and i found it face down in the sand when i came home from dinner a little while ago. it has since started shriveling up and then expanding, sort of looks like a wave motion if you were to speed it up. I have secured it now so it won't happen again, but i am wondering if i killed it? Is there something I should do to help save it, or will it sort itself out?

You probably didn't kill the shroom... They're essentially bulletproof....

Just place it in an area of the tank where it gets low to medium light and same for flow...

• 8 months later...

ok i have had the tank for about 10 months so here is a large photo update.

IMG_6015.jpg

my perc

IMG_6016.jpg

she hosts the hammer and the mushroom colony

IMG_6019.jpg

IMG_6026.jpg

FTS

IMG_6028.jpg

Flame Mushroom Colony

IMG_6034.jpg

IMG_6036.jpg

The Aussie Brain in the foreground has quadrupled in size. And that leather in the back was a hitchhiker

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6038.jpg

IMG_6040.jpg

Some of my zoas and palys

IMG_6041.jpg

IMG_6042.jpg

This acro is a new acquisition. it looks pretty bleached out here but the color is starting to really come in blue

IMG_6044.jpg

This is my acan/brain shelf. The orange and green is the newest and probably my favorite

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6051.jpg

Favia, some more zoas, and glove polyp

IMG_6052.jpg

IMG_6057.jpg

IMG_6060.jpg

She decided to pose

IMG_6061.jpg

my sea cucumber

IMG_6062.jpg

yellow candy hogfish

IMG_6066.jpg

IMG_6068.jpg

IMG_6070.jpg

IMG_6074.jpg

IMG_6075.jpg

IMG_6078.jpg

IMG_6083.jpg

IMG_6089.jpg

IMG_6092.jpg

IMG_6093.jpg

IMG_6094.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6097.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

and here are a couple of my JBJ picotope 3 gal

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6107.jpg

Over the past 10 months I have had a couple set backs (small algae bloom, zoa pox outbreak that took a lot of my frags) but overall i have really enjoyed it. I hope you guys enjoy the photos.

Thanks systemtool. That fish is a real bastard. He likes to kill things like peppermint shrimp, blue leg hermits, red leg hermits, pretty much every snail species except red banded trochus. But it is a beautiful fish to watch swim

Very cool.

Thanks violinist

Really like the 3gal too, I want to set up one like that in my office!

the 3 gal has been a fun little tank. takes basically no work; just about 50% water change every two weeks, keeping evaporation at bay, and skimming the scum off the top myself.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Awesome hogfish! Really pretty.

thank you. he is beautiful but a real menace. there isn't anything he won't kill. i've tried to get him out with nets, fish traps, even baited hooks. once i went so far as to dismantle and remove the rock work so i could more easily net him, but when i pulled the last rock out of the tank (the one he lives under) he wasn't there. he somehow managed to stow away in another rock that i had already pulled. i broke some of the bigger rocks down and let them sit on my counter or about an hour, and did freshwater dips with a couple. i waited for another 2 hours to see if he would appear in a bucket so i could isolate him, but after he did not i assumed he got stuck or died so i put the reef back together. about 4 hours after that he swam out from behind the rock work looking perfectly fine. i still don't know which rock he was hiding in. :angry:

indeed. i really don't enjoy being outsmarted by a fish. i think the next step is to develop some sort of miniature harpoon. or turn it into a temporary predator tank if you know what i mean.

drummersreef

Irogers, I made the mistake of adding tap water with dechlorinator to my tank and got a huge algae outbreak of GHA. I am still battling it after switching to RO/DI and it is a pain to get rid of. Good thing you got the jump on it. I also have nutrients from a fish dying and that has been part of the problem but I really think water changes and manual removal help the most.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Update:

Finally was able to remove the hogfish that was terrorizing my tank. Unfortunately the hogfish was keeping the population of asterina starfish at bay, and with him gone they dramatically multiplied and consumed all of the zoas and palys. I waited for a couple months and was able to get a harlequin shrimp. He consumed the problem starfish in short order and I have been slowly adding more zoa frags. He is very partial to chocolate chip starfish. I was able to get him hunting and attacking a chocolate chip that I'll post later once I get them off the camera. I also added a yellow watchmen and he has been a lot of fun.

Happy to see any comments or questions!

Ion

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9523.jpg

IMG_9517.jpg

IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9512.jpg

IMG_9392.jpg

IMG_9400.jpg

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9404.jpg

IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9407.jpg

IMG_9414.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

IMG_9444.jpg

IMG_9448.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9436.jpg

IMG_9462.jpg

nice pics of the shrimp, i wish i could get some of those guys, my lfs just isnt reliable enough with the starfish supply

Thank you!

Bummer about your fish store! Phoenix is a big city so there are many options, but my main store hasn't been out yet. After having this one I think it would be great to get a pair later down the line. The only thing cooler than watching one take down a starfish would be two hunting as a pair :)

Archived