Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nanoty's 90g Mixed Reef

nanoty

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
purplefirefish
Busy indeed. I came home from work today and noticed a my return blowing bubbles. I couldn't figure out why my sump was low until I went out into the garage and saw a stream of water coming from the wall where the tank is. Turns out my skimmer cup didn't seal when I cleaned it yesterday and it was overflowing outside the sump, probably emptied about 5g under my stand and through the wall.

It's like this that really piss me off.

:)

so how's it look :unsure:

I just got home today. I got so pissed last night I just kinda threw (literally) everything minus about 60lbs of LR back in the tank. I was expecting everything to be super pissed and probably dying but to my suprise it actually looks pretty good :huh:

I am not leaving it like this but it does make me feel better about doing the rescape. Unfortunately I am going to have to take out the majority of the rock to get the aquascape like I want it. I am planning on trying to dump this kid off on someone tomorrow and just concentrate on the tank. Would like to take the sump out completely (horrible pain in the ass, I have so many pumps, probes, and hoses it'll take hours alone) and clean the fawk out of it.

I am still blowing through salt. Got a new bucket about a month ago and it's half gone.

Well that is a good that everything looks happy at least...I try not to work on my tank unles I have the time and a few beerz lol

Wow! that is a lot of salt!!

My Leopard wrasse was in my overflow again last night (for the 3rd time) I then have to wait for it to go thru the hose and into the sump. Well I looked this morning and he is not in the overflow and I assume he has made it to the refugium part of my sump and in the sand...I hope -_- I am at work now and worried since he is my favorite fish :(

Well that is a good that everything looks happy at least...I try not to work on my tank unles I have the time and a few beerz lol

Wow! that is a lot of salt!!

My Leopard wrasse was in my overflow again last night (for the 3rd time) I then have to wait for it to go thru the hose and into the sump. Well I looked this morning and he is not in the overflow and I assume he has made it to the refugium part of my sump and in the sand...I hope -_- I am at work now and worried since he is my favorite fish :(

That sucks, when I first got this tank I lost at least 3 fish withing the first month from overflow rides. The damn bicolor made it a few times but my overflow hoses spill onto LR in the first chamber to reduce the crash of the water landing in the sump and the fish would eventually get trapped.

I am going to compose myself and try again tomorrow.

I'm done. One way or another this is it.

I spend about 5 hours straight today working on the tank and my freaking back is killing me. I completely removed the sump and gave it a good cleaning, replaced all the equipment removing a bunch of stuff that I didn't need (like the chiller pump and wires) and cleaned up the rest of the wiring.

Then I moved to the tank itself. I have never been very patient at aquascaping but this has proved to be the hardest tank ever to scape. Fawking rediculous. The stand was raised by the original owner abour 8 inches. It looks nice and it great for viewing but is a huge pain in the ass to work in a 24 inch deep tank. Sooooo standing on a chair with my arm up to the shoulder in water I was handing up to basketball sized pieces of LR to the wife who would put them in a tub with water.

I removed most of the rocks with algae and only left the ones with major corals on them. I would estimate there to be about 75lbs out of the original 200 or so lbs left in the tank. I am ok with the way it turned out. It is close to what I wanted but like most things is will never be like I really want it. I am going to be working on it a little longer before I decide if it goes or stays.

Sorry, not pics. By the time I got home and it had cleared up the lights were off. Pics tomorrow.

Thank god I do not have a tall stand! I am a short chick...this is why I had that dude do my tank, I would never be able to lift boulders out while on a chair. I am no wimp by any means :ninja: but a bad back is not on my list of things to do lol

can't wait to see the tank!!

My leopord wrasse was sucked into the skimmer pump while I was at work :(

Thank god I do not have a tall stand! I am a short chick...this is why I had that dude do my tank, I would never be able to lift boulders out while on a chair. I am no wimp by any means :ninja: but a bad back is not on my list of things to do lol

can't wait to see the tank!!

My leopord wrasse was sucked into the skimmer pump while I was at work :(

Damn, sorry about your wrasse M.

Your right about lifting boulders. Some of the pieces of LR I would estimate around 20-25lbs alone and trying to lift them with one hand, without breaking more of my LPS or the glass. All this while bent over standing on a wobbly chair. Sucked.

My local LFS charges $1 per gallon to come once a month and change about 15% of the water, scrape the glass and clean a few things. So I would be looking at $90 a month just to change about 10g and do a few other things. The only good thing is he brings his own water. I just don't think it is worth it.

Arrgh. I can relate bud. I'm trying to shape up my Max and my 75 before the Doc 'scopes ( hopefully lol ) my left shoulder next week. Right arm is water logged up to the pit :P

I hope that tank starts to turn around for you soon ty.

Looking forward to some pics when you get the time.

Hang in there buddy.

Arrgh. I can relate bud. I'm trying to shape up my Max and my 75 before the Doc 'scopes ( hopefully lol ) my left shoulder next week. Right arm is water logged up to the pit :P

I hope that tank starts to turn around for you soon ty.

Looking forward to some pics when you get the time.

Hang in there buddy.

Thanks, the biggest problem I have found today is my butt muscles. I must have gotten on and off that chair eleventy billion times yesterday. It was like a stairmaster from hell.

Bad news. I was wondering why the corals weren't opening up when the lights came on this morning. I decided to check the temp and bam, 93 deg. Had to be a fluke on the Pinpoint thermo so I checked the controller and bam, 92.5 deg. FAWK

I touched the heater and it was freaking hot as hell and the thermostat light was off. It got stuck on sometime last night and cooked everything.

I originally had it plugged straight into the wall and had something else plugged into the contoller socket that normally contols the temp. Therefore I had it on ON in manual mode. Then last night when I plugged it back into the controller it had no way to stock it from overheating when the heater malfunctioned.

All the fish look ok but the corals are super pissed and I don't know if they are going to make it. I have the hood open and all the lights off bringing it down slowly but I still have to go buy new heaters and see if things pull through.

This tank is still on the damn chopping block.

Screw everything I said in PM, get rid of this damn thing. Not only would I tear it down, but I would probably smash it with a sledge hammer when I was done........ but that's just me :) .

Screw everything I said in PM, get rid of this damn thing. Not only would I tear it down, but I would probably smash it with a sledge hammer when I was done........ but that's just me :) .

Will do.....

Oh em f'n gee :o

somebody did voo doo on your chit.

hang in there!

Not looking good, big frogspawn and hammer colonies look toasted. Torch may make it and the leather also. I lost one blenny but my clowns, 2 YWGs and pistol are hanging in there. Water is cloudy as hell and I am making about 40g of SW for a waterchange when the temp stabilizes. Its down to about 84 now.

Will make a decision in the next week whether or not it stays or goes.

sorry to hear about your loss bro.

take a break and i am sure you'll come back stronger!

for us reefers, reefing is a drug. once hooked, we can never kick it away (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

sorry to hear about your loss bro.

take a break and i am sure you'll come back stronger!

for us reefers, reefing is a drug. once hooked, we can never kick it away (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Thanks, it sucks but I have a lot going on anyways. I'll sit on it for a week or so and make sure its not a snap decision.

Didn't look any better this morning. The lights weren't on when I left but all I can see on most of the lps is the skeletons. Not looking good for the ole 90g.

Archived