• Last Reply

Okay, test result update;

Salinity 1.025

pH 8.4

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Calcium 400ppm

It was my first time testing Calcium, so I'm not 100% on that... but I'm sure its very close to that.... I swear these tests make me go color blind and 2nd guess myself... So I'm sure my Calcium readings will get more accurate as I do it more often.

Also, am I the only person who can't figure out a hydrometer? I originally bought a Red Sea hydrometer, but I felt like I was getting different readings depending on how I measured as in;

A: put the hydrometer on the table and used a turkey baster to fill it up

B: dipped the entire hydrometer in the tank and the placed on the table

C: dipped the hydrometer in the tank as deep down as I could, swished it around a little and removed it from the tank and set it on the table...

Anyways, I was taking about 3 salinity readings and kinda going off the average (they were all _about_ the same) After talking to a buddy (PSYS) he thought maybe my hydrometer was junk (as did I) and suggested I go buy the Instant Ocean hydrometer. Well, I did... but I still get slightly different readings depending on *how* I fill it with water... I'm kinda at a loss and am curious if anyone knows of a hydrometer school I can attend? tips? pointers? help me out! (ps: don't suggest I go by a refractometer, I will buy one once I have the money... I don't now so that's a non-option)

Other than that my CUC seems really happy, they're very active and super fun to watch! I hope to add a small zoa frag or two by the end of the week or early next week :)

ColoradoNano
Okay, test result update;

Salinity 1.025

pH 8.4

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Calcium 400ppm

It was my first time testing Calcium, so I'm not 100% on that... but I'm sure its very close to that.... I swear these tests make me go color blind and 2nd guess myself... So I'm sure my Calcium readings will get more accurate as I do it more often.

Also, am I the only person who can't figure out a hydrometer? I originally bought a Red Sea hydrometer, but I felt like I was getting different readings depending on how I measured as in;

A: put the hydrometer on the table and used a turkey baster to fill it up

B: dipped the entire hydrometer in the tank and the placed on the table

C: dipped the hydrometer in the tank as deep down as I could, swished it around a little and removed it from the tank and set it on the table...

Anyways, I was taking about 3 salinity readings and kinda going off the average (they were all _about_ the same) After talking to a buddy (PSYS) he thought maybe my hydrometer was junk (as did I) and suggested I go buy the Instant Ocean hydrometer. Well, I did... but I still get slightly different readings depending on *how* I fill it with water... I'm kinda at a loss and am curious if anyone knows of a hydrometer school I can attend? tips? pointers? help me out! (ps: don't suggest I go by a refractometer, I will buy one once I have the money... I don't now so that's a non-option)

Other than that my CUC seems really happy, they're very active and super fun to watch! I hope to add a small zoa frag or two by the end of the week or early next week :)

More then likely the issue is that that particular brand of Hydrometer has given people alot of problems inaccurate readings not trying to bad mouth that company but most suggest Instand Ocean Hydrometer

Looking great. Keep an eye on the snails if they stay up at the surface like that for quite sometime. That is the unhappy snail behavior, and if one dies it polutes your system SUPER fast.

Friday photo update!

Obligatory test results;

Salinity 1.025

pH 8.4

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Calcium 400ppm

I just finished my weekly (Friday) water change, filter floss change and general maintenance of the tank. Everything appears to be doing great. My snails seem to be happy and have ceased hanging out at the rim/waters edge (I was told this was 'unhappy' snail behavior), although my cerith snails have flipped over twice now and I had to help out and flip them back over (anyone else experience this?) I'm hoping to find time to mod my AC70 into a fuge this weekend/next week and I also hope to start adding corals next week! hooray!

Someone had made a comment on my local reef club forum that its pretty much impossible for my nitrates to be @ 0ppm... Well, I did the test extra extra careful today and I still came out with the same thing... I mean if its not 0ppm its definitely less than 5ppm. has anyone else got any explanations? I'm gonna take a water sample to my LFS and have them double check my own results and see if there is any difference. Now, onto the pics!

20apiee.jpg

Snails hanging out and one of my blue-legged hermit crabs.

2di56kl.jpg

Another angle of the same shot above.

6ypr9k.jpg

My smallest blue-legged hermit hanging out below getting into the cracks.

2hoiubp.jpg

Close up shot of my biggest blue-legged hermit.

25ktzzb.jpg

Of course, an updated full tank shot!

Obligatory test results;

Salinity 1.025

pH 8.2

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Calcium 400ppm

I still haven't gotten my test results double checked by a LFS... and I still can't explain why everything is still so low *shrugs* everything in the tank seems happy...

So I hit up my LFS last night and picked up 2 little Zoa frags, I placed them in the tank about 6pm last night. This morning after my light came on they started to open up, but still aren't 100% open yet... I think they're still a little pissed off... oh well. My camera really doesn't do the colors justice, they look awesome.

New corals!

2evch81.jpg

2mezmlj.jpg

Good shot of my little Asternia Sea Star(?)

1zw0lfn.jpg

Obligatory full tank photos.

2e1ww2d.jpg

11humw3.jpg

Pico pupil

Awesome corals man, cant wait for the cycling in my pico to be over with now.

what kind of corals are you planning to have?

Alright, I got my float switch in the mail late last week and finally got around to building my ATO system. I know its not perfect, I know there is no redundancy (overflow switch)... but I just needed *something* as I've got a couple 3-4 day weekends coming up in June. So this system will eventually be improved upon.

2gv3j13.jpg

Parts list;

Tetra Whisper 40 air-pump

Float switch (eBay)

10' 22awg wire

Wire shrink tubing

Very small Nalgene container (snail guard)

25' Aquarium tubing [not-pictured]

6-pack suction-cup tubing holder(s) [not-pictured]

Tools; [not-pictured]

Drill / Drill-bits

Screw driver (phillips)

Soldering Iron

Wire cutter/stripper

heat gun/lighter

Scrissors

Glue

Here are the specs for the float-switch

359igc3.jpg

Float-switch mounted in the snail-guard

25ul6og.jpg

Drilled out the bottom of the snail-guard

25i0shl.jpg

My little rig for soldering the float-switch to the wire

bj7if5.jpg

After the wires were nice and soldered I shrink wrapped them individually

11ipnjk.jpg

And then shrink wrapped it all

29b0n7r.jpg

Time to crack open the air-pump

2pqowg6.jpg

I cut right into where the cord connects to the pump, that is where I spliced in my float-switch so that when the float-switch activated it closed the circuit.

2s832c6.jpg

< This is where I kinda lost motivation to take more pics for a while, sorry >

I am just using a 1 gallon jug as my reservoir for right now

3466wwi.jpg

Here is the fill-tube mounted to the side of my [soon-to-be-replaced-with-an-AC70] crappy stock pico filter

whyzgl.jpg

And the float switch mounted in the tank, I was able to mount it to the side of the tank using suction cups but I'm not so sure I feel comfortable with that [long-term] so once my AC70 is in there I'll find a way to mount it more permanently where it can't fall off...

hx11tf.jpg

Here is the fill-tube mounted to the side of my [soon-to-be-replaced-with-an-AC70] crappy stock pico filter

whyzgl.jpg

And the float switch mounted in the tank, I was able to mount it to the side of the tank using suction cups but I'm not so sure I feel comfortable with that [long-term] so once my AC70 is in there I'll find a way to mount it more permanently where it can't fall off...

I would worry about those suction cups, I wouldnt trust them to hold more than 15 minutes....

I would worry about those suction cups, I wouldnt trust them to hold more than 15 minutes....

Yeah, this is a temporary setup until I get my AC70 on there later this week (or early next) the suction cups are actually pretty good, I put two on there for added insurance and I'm not particularly worried about them right now... (again, its temporary...)

looking really good man....the aquascape is really nice. Talk to Fabuloso about LEDs and their pricing.

Test results update;

Salinity 1.025

pH 8.2

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Ammonia 0ppm

I still cannot explain why my levels are zero... *shrugs* I still haven't gotten them double checked (I know, I know) but I hope to this week... A couple exciting updates; I finished modding my AC70 into a fuge last night and *gasp* I have a 12" 36W Dual Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixture that should be here Friday! So the AC70 will go on the tank as soon as I get the light.

Also... *drum roll* I have a new addition to the tank, a Yellowtail Damsel!

f1kqv9.jpg

So, he's been really weird... he like dug out all the sand under my 'rock bridge'... all the way down to the glass, I looked over and it was like a sand storm in there... anyone else have their YTD do this? other than that he's been super skiddish and if I even turn my head too quick to look at the tank he hides, will he get more comfortable with time?

Also, I picked these up from a local reefer who was giving them away for FREE! can't beat that and I think they look fantastic!

5y5bc.jpg

So, he's been really weird... he like dug out all the sand under my 'rock bridge'... all the way down to the glass, I looked over and it was like a sand storm in there... anyone else have their YTD do this? other than that he's been super skiddish and if I even turn my head too quick to look at the tank he hides, will he get more comfortable with time?

Skittish is normal for damsels when they are new. Eventually he'll be up front begging for food all the time. The digging is very strange. Mine has not once ever dug into substrate he just goes around eatting pods off the glass all day.

Tank's lookin good, Aberix! I wish I could keep a tank at my office, but "big corporations like to be all.. corporationey".. lol.

Anyway, could you post some details about your modded fuge? I have a 5.5g pico that I've just got started a few days ago and I'd also like to mod an AC70 fuge but I'm not sure how I should go about it. Pics?

Thanks! ;)

Anyway, could you post some details about your modded fuge?

Thanks for the kind words!

I loosely followed El Fab's guide located here, I made some minor adjustments to the design to suit my needs, I'll post some pics before I put it into action ;)

okay, so I look over and the tank is cloudy and I'm thinking "what is that booger doing now?" and he pops out from _UNDER_ one of my rocks?! yes, he burrowed _UNDER_ one of my live rocks... is this normal for a YTD? I can't say I've ever heard of them doing this?

b66ob6.jpg

pic of the tunnel he dug

zkspw1.jpg

pic of him poking his head out

New FTS;

j81ua8.jpg

I upgraded the lighting (36W Dual Satellite) and put on my [modded] AC70 today :)

So I took out my Aquaclear 10 Powerhead, I believe my AC70 came with an AC20 impeller (4 blades instead of 6), I bought it used... anyways with both the powerhead and the AC70 on it was crazy in there so I took the powerhead out and the surface water is flowing GREAT and everything else in the tank seems to be moving just a little also. imho the flow seems to be perfect right now. My question is, do you guys think that was a good call? both seems like too much flow... but I could be wrong.

GaTechKoko

Tank looks good. I just started a JBJ3 up in my fraternity room. I have been looking into up grading the lights and filteration. AC70 seems pretty popular for alot of people in the pico family. I was thinking about up grading to the LED lights and nanocustom.com with the 3 whites and 2 blues. Can you give us some more info on the mod AC70?

Well, my tank has been up and running just over a month now! hooray!

Full tank shot (with soda can just for size comparison of things)

29lla85.jpg

Full tank shot (closer)

25f56pc.jpg

Mushrooms & YTD

ipurua.jpg

My 2 zoa frags

2hxbqiw.jpg

I finally feel like my tank is 'established', I feel like from here on out its just stocking it and maintaining things... I'm really happy with everything right now, just wish I had more $ for corals! :)

Well, a big thank you goes out to a local reef club member for this awesome BAM BAM frag he gave me yesterday.

So far they're opening up nicely, although my snails and crabs keep coming over to check out the plug causing the frag to close up :( once its gets a little bigger (and happier) I'll transfer the coral to one of my main rocks.

here is a (crappy, unfocused) pic of the frag;

8xph94.jpg

here it is under just the actinic lighting, they fluoresce really nicely!

2ypbseq.jpg

Well I just got my tank water tests double-checked @ the LFS and everything matches to what I've been getting from my own testing results. I am really happy to hear that, sounds like my tank is running pretty good right now which I am really happy about :)

nice thread looks good! I like the damsel. Makes me want to get a a fish, my pico was going to house inverts tho...

I want to make a ATO, might need to ask some questions later...but i might go the cheap route and go for a gravity fed one.

Thanks for the comment! Yeah, from the start I wasn't even planning on having a fish... but then I kinda warmed up to the idea, he adds a lot of life and movement to the tank imho. I like it.

Archived