ReefCleaners.org

Aberrix's 3 Gallon Pico Thread

Aberrix

Try and Instant Ocean hydro. I have two and they are easy to get a consistent reading from.

yeah, that's what PSYS recommended to me also, gonna pick one up hopefully this week.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
recreationguru

i just purchased a refractometer for $27 shipped on ebay. it may be worth considering. Im hoping readings will be more accurate and precise. good luck getting that salinity on track.

i just purchased a refractometer for $27 shipped on ebay. it may be worth considering. Im hoping readings will be more accurate and precise. good luck getting that salinity on track.

yeah, I was looking at those yesterday also... anyone have any idea how 'good/accurate' they are?

recreationguru
yeah, I was looking at those yesterday also... anyone have any idea how 'good/accurate' they are?

I'll let you know when mine comes in. If I'm not mistaken I have seen others on nano-reef with the same one. Any one with more experience on these please chime in. It's is a RHS-10ATC Portable Salinity Refractometer, listed on ebay as Salinity refractometer 4 aquarium pond hydrometer.

Great start so far. Definitely get a refractometer, much easier to use and keep clean and much more accurate. I paid about $30 for mine at my lfs. What lights are you planning on getting for this? Have you thought of a stocklist yet?

Nice so far.....give it time for the hitchhikers. It's so fun finding something new. I'm also interested in the lighting you will be using.

I bet those little legs was a starfish! Mine like to poke their legs out on the rock all the time, they usually come out at night though, so you may not see the whole thing :happy: Lookin' good!

The instant ocean one is really good too, i brought some water to LFS so he could use refractometer on it and it was dead on from both my tanks.

PHOTO UPDATE!

Current FTS (04/23/09):

vg0hfn.png

Here are some photos of the beautiful algae on my rocks;

2agjo2a.png

Left side

5y5glz.png

Front left corner

99nqjo.png

Front right corner

2s0g32h.png

Right side

b8pg21.png

Then I went out and did something really dumb... I just so happen to be driving by my LFS and thought "Gee, I'll just stop in and look... just see how much hermit crabs cost..." Well, then I got to thinking... It's been 5 days since my tank has been up and things are going pretty good, I think, and these hermit crabs, well... they're only $2.99... I got lots of nice algae on my rocks for him to eat... What's the worst that could happen if I get just one for my tank, just one, it dies and I'm out $3... So it's probably totally irresponsible... but I JUST COULDN'T WAIT! So hopefully this calms my impatience for another week or more... (p.s. PETA members/bleeding hearts/animal activists/democrats, I'm sorry ;))

He ate non-stop yesterday when I put him in the tank and for the last couple hours I was at work, I came in this morning and he managed to climb all the way to the top rock(s) and was sleeping(?), once the light turned on he woke up and is continuing to graze this morning... So far, so good...

Without further adieu... My red-legged hermit crab;

2w6di1l.png

To answer questions about lighting, I'm still unsure about brand/model but it sounds like the dual 18w (36w) 12" is pretty 'standard' for the 3gal pico... so I hopefully plan to do that, I'd like to keep it under $80... (open to suggestions) and it's going to take a while for me to catch up with the expenses I've already... expended... on this tank so far and then I've got a big BWCA (Boundary Water Canoe Area) camping trip in June that will eat some of my extra funds too... so wow, yeah... hopefully I can squeeze it into the budget in the next month or three... heh :)

Also, so far I've bought a float switch (in the mail), air pump and some aquarium tubing... I will be experimenting with putting together my own ATO system for this pico... :)

can anyone identify what this is? I saw it a couple days ago, then it went hiding, now its out again... its like beige/brown-ish with little bumps on it, almost looks like little tiny white legs/bumps on the outside? it almost looks like a three-legged star fish but two legs are touching?

245j229.jpg

nzj98j.jpg

asternia , good or bad hit or miss, i have some in my 12gal and sometimes they try to eat baby zoas and some dont just watch out

Whoo! My pico is officially 1 week old! I'm becoming a lot more comfortable with my water tests (and quicker too!)

Salinity 1.023

pH 8.2

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Ammonia 0ppm

Also did my first 10% water change and gave the heater and inside of the glass a good wipe down. :)

Congrats on the 1-week anniversary... it's looking good and congrats on your first new little addition! The hermit looks hermit-y. :P

Alight, I spotted 3-4 of these guys this morning (lighting still hasn't kicked in yet) it literally looks like 1/2 brown and 1/2 orange, and is about maybe 1cm -1.4cm long. Can someone help identify it? I did some googling and it looks like its a bristle worm?

scf8dx.jpg

Alright, went and picked up some more cleaner crew guys... here is what I have now;

(1) Red-legged Hermit Crab

(2) Blue-legged Hermit Crab

(2) Cerith Snail

(2) Astrea Snail

I'm gonna roll with that for a week and see how things go... anyone got any comments with that team? Thanks.

That is a bristle worm. Much debate weather they are good or bad. Anything that eats rotting food and cleans up is good in my book. Blue legged hermits are known to be more aggressive, make sure they have extra shells to move into or they may kill your snails.

I have a similar CUC. 1 emerald crab,

2 blue legged hermits, 2 nassarius snails and 2 cerith snails. Going to add a red legged or two soon. Maybe an Astraea too.

Ask your lfs for a few extra shells. I got like 10 of various sizes to make sure they have room to grow.

Good luck :)

Photo update!

2q07ju0.jpg

Cerith Snail (Left) Blue-Legged Hermit Crab [in a Cerith Snail shell! sneaky...] (Right)

ael843.jpg

Asterina Sea Star(?) (On the glass next to the sand bed)

pt15k.jpg

Cerith Snail

25hpd7p.jpg

My Astrea Snails

15nm2r8.jpg

Obligatory current full tank shot :)

Archived