Pod Your Reef

Lay's 14G Biocube

lmmvyc

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are a few ways to do it. Now would be a great time, because you can remove all of your bioballs at once with no ill-effects. Simply remove all of the bioballs. Get some chaetomorpha, either from you lfs or a fellow reefer. Add a nice wad of it into the 2nd chamber. Go to discountpumps dot com and get their 10 watt submersible light. Add the sub. light into the 2nd chamber. You can either have the light run 24 hours a day, or put it on the same timer as your blue night lights. I have mine set-up this way, running only when my daytime lights go out. It will be a great place for pods to reproduce. Also the chaeto will help to lower both phosphates and nitrates naturally.

I like the sound of an in water light. Since the Biocube 29 dont have the clear spot in the back like the 14 it makes it a lot easier. Since i would have to move my tank in order to scrape off paint and add a fuge light. BUT discountpumps dot com doesn't seem to exist. I can't find it anyway. You sure that is the website?

I like the sound of an in water light. Since the Biocube 29 dont have the clear spot in the back like the 14 it makes it a lot easier. Since i would have to move my tank in order to scrape off paint and add a fuge light. BUT discountpumps dot com doesn't seem to exist. I can't find it anyway. You sure that is the website?

Yeah, also found discountpumps dot com doesn't exist...

One week old :happy:

Took out replacement filter, put in carbon in media bag in chamber 1.

Got heater in mail, but in chamber 3.

Had to add water due to evaporation.

Still looks nice, clear, and clean. We'll see how long it stays that way...

Also, took out all but about a handful of bioballs in chamber two, will probably be building a fuge in there

Expecting MaxiJet 900, Koralia Nano, and some Chemipure in the mail within the next week.

One week old :happy:

Took out replacement filter, put in carbon in media bag in chamber 1.

Got heater in mail, but in chamber 3.

Had to add water due to evaporation.

Still looks nice, clear, and clean. We'll see how long it stays that way...

Also, took out all but about a handful of bioballs in chamber two, will probably be building a fuge in there

Expecting MaxiJet 900, Koralia Nano, and some Chemipure in the mail within the next week.

Sounds like you are on top of things. Keep up the good work. I would suggest putting the heater in chamber 1 as most people do. If it doesn't fit then remove the false floor in chamber 1. You will eventually remove it because you will notice detritus build up under the false floor. This will result in nitrate contribution. The reason for putting the heater in chamber 1 and not 3 is that the water level in chamber 3 fluctuates. If you forget to top the tank off, then the water level might drop enough to turn the heater off or break the heater.

hookedonreef-er

Have fun man! this is the way it all starts. Right now its a 14g next thing you know your knockin out walls to fit a new tank hahah. Keep us posted with pics.

Have fun man! this is the way it all starts. Right now its a 14g next thing you know your knockin out walls to fit a new tank hahah. Keep us posted with pics.

haha thanks but i am not a man :happy:

Congrats and welcome to the BC14 club. My advise is to remove Bioballs and be very patient - that's the toughest part of starting up a tank. My tank has been setup 2 1/2 months and I just added my second fish (yellow watchman goby).

Congrats and welcome to the BC14 club. My advise is to remove Bioballs and be very patient - that's the toughest part of starting up a tank. My tank has been setup 2 1/2 months and I just added my second fish (yellow watchman goby).

Thanks! I've taken out the bioballs and will be building a fuge in chamber two. Also, I def want a watchman goby! A friend suggested pairing him up with a pistol shrimp as a buddy

New things in the tank today...

MaxiJet 900 installed and sponge taken out and replaced with Chemi-Pure. Tank still pretty clear and hasn't gone into algae bloom time yet...

i got the 14 biocube.

Is that some type of xenia? Tank looks good.

On another note...

Was really having problems with temperature. Fan was loose in my tank today, luckily for me my friend Nick, nbavf6, got everything under control and hopefully it keeps working!

Alright need some help. My house is keeping my tank around 83ish degree. In other words, TOO HOT. Can't mess with air because of roommates, you know how it is....

What are the ways to bring down the water temp without a chiller? Are there any fan upgrades that will help me do this? Thanks!

Archived