Cultivated Reef

Maryland Virginia People

Ytouf

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AReeferIsExpensive

MANY of both. For corals i shop around a bit however, i would never buy a fish anywhere else besides Roozens. They have VERY healthy fish and i have never seen ich in any of their tanks as many times as i have been there....you can go there the day that they get their fish shipment and pick the best looking one out from a large supply b/c they have at least 5+ of every kind just about to choose from. He told me they put quite a large amount of copper in every fish-only tank which is why you never see diseased looking fish......:)

• 4 weeks later...

After visiting many of the Virginia places repeatedly over the past few months I am discovering that supplies of specific things (live rock, fish, coral, inverts, live sand) except for dry goods varies greatly at each store over time. Basically none of the stores can stay in stock except when their suppliers have been by...

The other difference is attitude and service with a smile and knowlegde and price. So if you rate the places, rate their supplies of stuff separately from their service/price/knowldge.

Larger and/or higher volume places tend to have more reliable supplies - but even the big places completely run out of a type of live rock or livestock from time to time.

I would like to add some opinions. Aquatic World has some really nice Figi LR last week. They now have a tub of cured LR for you to pick from. I bought 11 pounds uncured from the back. 5.99 per lb.

Pets ETC had a really nice large piece I wanted but the price was really bad. 7.50 per lb., I bought another 11 pounds one piece Figi LR.

Tank should be ready for stocking soon.

troy, did you say $7.50/lb ...???!! dang....that must be gold! not sayin it aint pretty but sheesh....what gives!?

well said snolan...very correct in all aspects...but in the same token, i've been to local stores and seen their regular premium stock LR and left question if it was worth it. should i have gotten UNcured?? most charge too much. a store that has XXX amount of LR/corals in stock should be more than capable of maintaining whatever they have to the best possible conditions (better than us), and most of what i see leaves much to be desired. my mentor (she's self running...ol' skool vet) went w/ me to a LFS, and she frowned all the way through and never let up til we left the store...(no store names will be mentioned) i think it what they had on display upset her.

dont get me wrong, i love my LFSs....each and every one of them! it s just too bad, im not runnin them...(not sayin i could do better, butttttttt) would love to see them step up...

Yep, I know. It looks good and was the last of the LR I needed. I didn't mind the price since I could actually see what I was getting. Besides, it makes a nice stack.

• 1 year later...

Fox Mill Pets In Franklin Farm (chantilly Virginia) also carries salt water they are a little pricy but getting in an entire new stock thursday

• 4 months later...

Thought i would bring back the old thread! With some NEW NEWS!!

Hey Guys, I have not been on the here in a while. I am very surprised at the reactions for Roozens. I get so depressed when i go there. Well, only been the 3 times and i always ask my self why do i go back. Well they have alot of stock. Drygoods and fish.

BUT the poor fish there. PB's in little hang on tanks just kills me. I understand they are disturbiture for some local places but it just hurt to see so many fish looking like crap or dying. How about the crab or snail tanks. looks like there are 10 years worth of dead shells on the bottom. If you do buy there please Q-tank your live stock!!!

Anyway here is a FYI

ReefTank closed. they are no longer there.

New store in Manassas.

Blue Ribbon Koi is now stocking marine supplies.

www.blueribbonkoi.com

5003 Sudley Road Catharpin, VA 20143 Near Manassas

john 703-753-7566

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I live in PA, but frequently travel MD & PA.

Rick's, in Frederick (mentioned earlier) is good, but has little to no SPS selection. But still a nice store.

Aquarium Center Randallstown (mentioned earlier) is nice as well. Decent prices, but (as mentioned) dirty.

Exotic Aquatics in Joppatown (mentioned earlier) is VERY nice, but small. The do have a nice selection of $12 SPS frags or 3 for $30. Nice store.

But, for those of you in the northern MD or PA area, That Fish Place in Lancaster is an all-in-one reef mecca. Get there on a Thursday evening (when the shipment comes in) and you can get cheap $2 - $5 frags. Dry good prices are unbeatable. Great place. Take lots of $$$.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gonna have to give Dr Mac yet another plug. As Kracker stated, his live rock is phenomenal. Anyone in the area should meet his driver at BWI to avoid shipping charges and the decay that can happen even with overnight shipping. It's nice and porous and for under $3/lb, why would you get other stuff? I bought 20 lbs for my tank upgrade a couple of weeks ago and it was super clean and it appeared to be completely cycled. Plus these guys have perfect customer service.

• 1 year later...

Has anybody heard much about Blue Ribbon Koi in manassas? I've heard very good things about them, and they have a website with photos of their displays that look very nice and well-kept. I'm going to be heading up there tuesday to check them out, hopefully, if anyone has any input on them...

By far the best LFS I've ever been to. You won't be disappointed with them. John quarantines all his fish, and they have a huge display for selling SPS/LPS out front.

Archived