Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maryland Virginia People

Ytouf

Okay, went to Roozens yesterday. Hour or so to get there, on the way home, stuck in traffic at the mixing bowl in Springfield with all the post holiday travelers getting onto 95. Took me about 45 minutes to go from Roozens just past the 95 exit. Ugh. Beltway was clear after that. Go figure.

So Roozens has tons of stuff for sure, however, their coral tanks left alot to be desired. I saw many dead and dying corals. Several gonioporas that looked pathetic, aiptasia in all the tanks along with giant clumps of valonia. That being said they did have a very good selection of unusual fish and inverts. Prices were great, especially the LR. Only two kinds of snails for sale, astreas and a couple turbos.

I'll probably run over that way on occasion, but for me the Marine Scene is closer, I can buy my water there and the staff is very knowledgeable and I trust them to have healthy livestock. Sure they are pricey, but what I spent in gas to get to MD (darn gas prices over there are 10 cents more/gal) justifies my trip to the Marine Scene.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL caja! gotta love that Spr mixing bowl...should of jumped off at Franconia and taken the pkwy but that tends to back up as well.

Actually for me, Roozens is a bit closer but it all depends on the Wilson bridge. I still end up going to Marine Scene most of the time...I was there sat morning. IMO, Roozens and Marine Scene are 2 totally different stores. Granted they both have marine aquaria, but that's about it...they differ in their business image. Personally, I like Marine Scene's atmosphere better. For whatever its worth tho, Roozen's has been there for quite some time and are well established. I felt they are more in business for the aquaria opposed to making a dollar. It's just good to know we have another channel for marine stuff here locally. And I love the fact that their tanks are all outside in greenhouses...way cool!!!

It was roasting hot in there. Thought I was going to pass out - I was dripping and wilting.

I called the Marine Scene Sat morning to see if they had the fish I wanted. They didn't, and haven't had much in the way of livestock shipments due to the holidays. No sense driving 45 minutes for nothing. I usually make a run for water once or twice a month to Herndon. Buy 5 gals of saltwater and 5 gals RO/DI and that'll last me several weeks. The more often I go the more often I spend so I've learned to buy my water in bulk so as to avoid the temptation. (addict here)

im coming up to Silverspring, MD to visit family this weekend. I have been to congressional aquarium and something lagoon. Hopefully i can check out some of these other places!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, three places within about a 5-10 mile radius of me.

1. Petco (Evil) I'm not proud of this, but I used to work their during High School... they didn't take SH*T care of the fish then, they don't take SH*T care of the fish now! Mine has just started carrying corals (a rather sad looking Xenia) and I saw a sign for a Red Volitan Lion under one of the 7 gallon display tanks. (Evil) They have some salt water hardware, it's pricier than other places so not really a great place to go, but if you're desperate, it's there.

2. Pets etc. (Eh) Pricy, and they have a larger fresh water selection than anything. The salt water tanks are better cared for than Petco's but again, not the best quality. The prices on corals are nuts (they wanted $80 for a frogspawn no bigger than a golfball!) If you can stand the smell of rodents, it's an ok place to go, but there are better.

3. Aquatic World (*insert angelic hymn*) This is about the best place that I have found close by. The people are knoledgable, the fish are healthy, the corals look pretty good, and they have about the most reasonable prices I've found (without going online.) The only downside is their hours, and the fact that sometimes it's closed around lunch because the owner steps out to get a bite to eat. There is a woman that works there, her name escapes me at the moment, very nice and informative. Awsome display tank (also has a display pond with a shark and a ray... very cool.) Where I do most if not all of my fish shopping.

Addresses:

Petco (EVIL)

200 Fort Evans Rd NE

Leesburg, VA 20176

(703) 669-3517

Pets etc.

512 East Market St.

Leesburg, VA 20175

(703) 771-7347

M-S: 10-9

Sun: 11-6

Aquatic World

1049 Edwards Ferry

Leesburg, VA 20176

(703) 779-7692

M,T,Th,F: 10:30-8

Wed: 12-8

Sat: 10:30-6

Sun: 12-5

(Crazy hours)

So that's it, of course the marine scene, never been there but I've called. A bit rich for my blood, but perhaps I'll take a trip there one day.

• 2 weeks later...
purple_stardust
Originally posted by NOFX1207

Aquatic World

1049 Edwards Ferry

Leesburg, VA 2017

Hey, do these guys have a nano tank set up back at the start of the aquaria section? We went to a pet store in Leesburg once, which was where I saw my first nano tank... just wondering if it was the same place.

• 2 weeks later...

Aquatic World has a 220g on the wall and below it is a shark pond with rays, cow fish, groupers, and tangs. Nice store for this area. Best I have been to in the VA, MD, WV area. Never been to Marine Scene.

TroyT

LFS DIRECTORY IN BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON AREA (print this...IN ABC ORDER:)):

------------------------------------------------------------------

Aquarium Center

Randallstown, MD

www.aquariumcenter.com

800-813-8172

------------------------------

Aquatic Creations Ltd.

Urbana, MD

301-831-8200

Aquatic World

Leesburg, VA

703-779-7692

Blue Lagoon Aquarium

Rockville, MD

301-

Centreville Aquarium

Centerville, VA

703-266-2100

Congressional Aquarium

Rockville, MD

301-881-6182

Dr Mac's and Son

Salisbury, MD (ONLINE ONLY UNTIL JULY 2004)

www.drmaccorals.com

443-614-1955

Exotic AquaticS

Baltimore, MD

www.exoticaquatics.com

410-668-1200

House Of Tropicals

Glen Burnie, MD

410-761-1113

The Marine Scene

Reston, VA

www.marinescene.com

703-689-2815

Maru Petsits

Fredricksburg, VA

540-891-2704

Neptune's Den

Bel Air, MD

(410) 515-7744

RD Fish & Pets

Waldorf, MD

(301) 870-9311

The Reef Tank

Fairfax, VA

http://www.reefstore.com/

703-978-1700

Rick's Fish & Pet Supply

Frederick, MD

301-831-4747

Roozen's Nursery and Aquatics

Ft. Washington, MD

www.roozens.com/

301-248-2500

Superpets

Annandale, VA

703-256-2400

That Fish Place

Lancaster, PA

www.thatfishplace.com

888-842-8738

Ultimate Saltwater Aquariums

Ft. Washington, MD

http://www.usaquariums.net/

301-292-8351

Pets Etc.

Leesburg, VA

703-771-7347

-----------------------------

Vienna Aquarium

Vienna, VA

703-242-0553

Wally's Aquarium

Alexandria, VA

http://store.yahoo.com/wallysaquarium

703-354-3399

Somebody may call me picky though... I basically want to buy something from friendly people who treat their customer like "a customer", not like "you don't know sh!t".

I went Wallys, SuperPetz, Roozens, Reef tank and Marine scene to see what they have... from time to time.

To make a long story short...

Wallys is ok store even though they don't have a lot of saltwater stuffs.

SuperPetz is amazing store with good drygood/freshwater section and a lot of attitude.

At Roozens, I was impessed with selection, but not impressed with condition. Their Fiji LR price went up about $1 per pound.

Reef tank.... ahhhh...

Marine scene is nice place for salt water stuffs. Very polite and professional. They carry DT's plankton too. Nice little place worth check out.

Other info. Freshfield in Annandale sells RO/DI water at 0.39 per gallon. I think it is good deal. Don't know about other stores. Talk to Michael at the store, and he told me that they usually change filters in two weeks.

hey lee! i pretty much agree with all your conclusions about the stores...fortunately/unfortunately that all we have in the area. gotta' love that shallow reef tank at wally's :P thay helped get me started!

anyone knows of other aquarium dealers/distributors/retail stores in the wash dc/balt md/mid-atlantic areas? if you know of any that you feel should be included in the list above, PM me and I will edit my post:) also, forget alphabetical, we could do a number rating system for the stores...which one should be #1? #2?

"Won brothers" is at somewhere in MD.

I am not sure that they sell stuff to public or not. However you always can try if you want.

Ah, I found the address.

11050-F Livingston Rd. Fort Washington, MD. 20744

I think for best oeverall health of livestock go to marine scene without a doubt, but they are high on some things but ok on others. The reef tank I don't know which guy you talked too, I talked to the kid there and he was nice and friendly although you are right they don't have much of anything, but got a nice fire shrimp from them for $28 and so far so good got him on the 13th of jan. Roozens, well, just know what you are doing when you go there, seriously, they do not have the best setup but do have the best prices around hands down I think buying coral from them is ok but be careful if you purchase livestock from them besides who else around has shark ponds filled with leopards :)

Superpets is ok, pets etc is leesburg was disappointing when I made the trip up there, Vienna aquarium is good for fish but still a little high, I havn't been to the aquarium center or exotic aquatics yet but the month is not over yet either so I will go check them out. Later

krackerg, thanks for organizing the list. i'm sure it'll be very helpful for me in the near future when i start up my tank.

there's a lfs (Neptune's Den) here in Bel Air/Abingdon that i'll take a look at in a few days. report too follow.

seaside, didn't know you already found the thread when i responded on the other thread about lr. i guess lfs must really be that bad in our area if you want to mail order.

EtOH_is_good,

Yes I already found this thread.

The one and only reason that make me start the other thread about LR is... I didn't impressed by quality of LR at LFSs w/in an hour driving range.

When I got Marinescene 2 weeks ago, their Fiji didn't look good as before. Their Tonga was great. They told me that their Fiji is not very good at the moment, which is real shame. And they recommend me come back next month or so. I think they are honest. I also knew they used to have nice Fiji about 2 months ago. I could check them later sometime.

Ok, KrackerG.

Sorry to add questions after that PERIOD.

Can you explain more specific about Dr Mac's LR?

Is the BEST LR you talking about Fiji or Tonga?

How his website works? (It's a mess. Can't find order/purchase button.)

Any personal experience you can share with?

Have any pic available?

I personally have no expirence w/ Dr Mac's rock, but my reef friend (my mentor) has 50+ lbs of mixed mostly Tonga in her 55g...which has been up for years but she still swears by it and said it came pretty much like that when she got it!

I think his website is fine...on the righthand column in purple towards the bottom, you will see LR info...read up about his practices and how he runs his facility. If I had to buy rocks, I would buy his "in house" Tonga Ultra show rock..:P

here's a good starting place:

http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/fijiro.../view_all.nhtml

Just another NOVA reefer joining in on this thread... I'm heading to Roozen's this weekend. I think it is cool that they are open from 8am till dark all year round.

Roozen's is nice! Have you been there before?? FYI, the aquaria dept is ALL the way in the back...through the greenhouse and to the left. I almost left the first time I went there only seeing their display tank up front.:)

You will be amazed when you find out how much corals they have. More than hundred of them. See for yourself.

They have 2 very nice looking mantis. One is almost green about 5 inches, the other is colorful about 3 inches.

Let us know how do you think when you get back from the "trip". :)

Archived