Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lani's 10gal Coldwater

Lalani

:lol: Sorry about that, Richie. :flower:

Alright, the air bubbles are still going strong which can only mean that they are coming from the joints of the intake tube. After I spray paint all of the pieces with black Krylon, I'll have to seal it all together with rubber cement or some such substance. Going to switch on the chiller now.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds cool. :)

I think we may have to wait to have anything shipped to me though. It's already getting up in the mid 90's. :(

gah! it's 50-something here. >.<

yay chiller! but if I'm not shipping you stuffs for a while, what're you gonna put in it? :huh:

Bah..

I dunno, I'll either keep it dry until the weather starts cooling off... or I could set it up with sand and rocks and cycle it with flake food or something. Hrm..

Needreefunds
Bah..

I dunno, I'll either keep it dry until the weather starts cooling off... or I could set it up with sand and rocks and cycle it with flake food or something. Hrm..

:o no way! Get 'er up and running. Then sweet talk Daniel for a tiny berry or two for now....

Then wait for Jamie's package of awesomeness to arrive in the fall.

Must I think of everything around here? :P

Whew, I'm tired after all that, time for a Sammy.

Then sweet talk Daniel for a tiny berry or two for now....

Hahahahaha, good one, Richie!

<_< @ D

Needreefunds
Hahahahaha, good one, Richie!

<_< @ D

Oh, c'mon now I know deep down D wubs ya.

Well, I mean he really likes you alot....

umm, meh

mebe talk to A? :huh:

:P

Nah, he wubs ya. :P

btw, I'd berry ya if I hazdedd dem. but no, I no haz. :(

btw, I'd berry ya if I hazdedd dem. but no, I no haz. :(

I know you would, cuz youz a sweetheart. :flower:

i think i'm gettin an early boot here...she ain't even got the temp down yet!! <_<

Temp is already down from 74 to 68. :happydance:

Edit: 58 degrees!

58 is cold to the touch *shiver*

Alright, for Jamie, I'll crank that sucker down and see how low it'll go this afternoon. Then I'll start on the 'beautification.'

kamikaze_fish
58 is cold to the touch *shiver*

Alright, for Jamie, I'll crank that sucker down and see how low it'll go this afternoon. Then I'll start on the 'beautification.'

You don't need anymore beautification.

Oh, the tank. Yeah, it could probably use some but more so, we could use some pics.

what are you going to put in your tank. i live by the puget sound there is lots of stuff around here

what are you going to put in your tank. i live by the puget sound there is lots of stuff around here

ooooo wanna get stuff for my cw tank, too? Please?? :flower:

:lol:

You don't need anymore beautification.

Oh, the tank. Yeah, it could probably use some but more so, we could use some pics.

:blush:

Well.... not much to see really. I still need to cut the pieces of insulation down to size... Oh, and I need to cut one for the bottom of the tank, then paint them all black, along with the intake tube pieces. Bah, I'll take some pics later of what it looks like right now.

o, stfu.

:P

Wha, it is cold. :P

:o

Well, I was planning on keeping a few strawberry nems to start off with. What type of things would you be able to find that would do well in a 10gal tank? :flower:

ooooo wanna get stuff for my cw tank, too? Please?? :flower:

Hey!!! :lol::P

Wha, it is cold. :P

just tellin you what you told me. NOW you know -_-

i expect an apology forthwith.

dtfleming
You don't need anymore beautification

Dude are you serious? that's the lamest interwebz pickup in the world, worse then lgreen on craigslist.

Dude are you serious? that's the lamest interwebz pickup in the world, worse then lgreen on craigslist.

osnap128634711932786739.jpg

there are lots of small anyimes if i knew how to ship things i could ship you some next time we go to the beach

:flower: You rock

Shipping how to by Weetie

link to actual post w/ pics http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1446025

SHIPPING TUTORIAL

There's more than one way to ship, but this is what works for me.

-I like to use 6x6 or 7x7 boxes. I get mine from Wal-Mart, they're pretty cheap.

-Line the box with some type of insulating material. A lot of people use simple styrofoam, which can be found in any store that carries craft supplies. I actually prefer to use an insulating foam that can be found in the Building Supply dept. of any hardware store. It really helps to try to get a tight fit with whatever type of insulating liner you use.

This is a pic of the insulation I use. The white piece w/print is the back of the insulation, the small silver slivers are pieces showing the front surface of the insulation:

-Just inside the insulation, I like to put a large plastic bag. This is to prevent Post Office freakouts and damp boxes in the event that some water leaks out of the frag bags. I use plastic shopping bags.

-According to Post Office regulations, it is okay to ship liquids as long as there is enough absorbent material in the package to absorb anything that leaks. Therefore, I use either newspaper or paper towels as packing material around the bags.

-For bags, I like to use 6" x 20" 2 mil bags from kensfish.com. Here's a link:

http://www.kensfish.com/shippingsupplie.html

If you're bagging zoas, you can put 2-3 frags in one bag as long as you wrap each frag in a paper towel to protect them from jostling each other. This will also keep them damp if water leaks out of the bag. I only use paper towels w/zoas.

For other corals, one frag to a bag is probably best.

They don't need to have a whole bagful of water, just enough to keep them covered during shipment.

I like to double bag my frags, and fasten each bag individually with a rubber band.

-Place bag in box, fill remainder of space w/newspaper or paper towel, and close larger outer bag over the whole w/tape.

This is what your package should look like before closing and taping the outer bag over the contents:

-For heat packs, I like to use 40 hr. heat packs from kensfish.com, see above link.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE THAT YOU SHIP W/A HEAT PACK DURING WINTER MONTHS!!!

Wrap heat pack in newspaper or paper towel, place on top of outer bag, place top piece of insulating foam, then close box, tape well, address and ship!

Heat Packs, opened and unopened:

Make sure you remove your heat pack from the outer wrapping before shipping.

This is what your package should look like w/the outer bag closed and the newspaper wrapped heat pack placed on top:

A couple of last tips:

-Don't ship in a thermos. The thermos will not allow enough air in for the heat pack to work, and the coral/s will become dangerously cold.

-Make sure that your insulating liner is very tight, with no holes or openings. I HAVE noticed over the last couple of months that the kind of insulation that I posted a pic of above keeps corals substantially warmer than simple craft styro. It literally makes the difference between corals received in 63 degree water and corals received in 79 degree water. I can verify this by personal experience.

-Corals shipped in larger boxes/containers do not stay warm as well because the heat from the heat pack disperses over a larger area. Tight packaging makes a difference.

-Corals can be shipped in much less water than you would think. For a frame of reference, I can and have successfully shipped 3 zoa frags in one bag with 1 1/4 cups of water, or 6 squirts from a turkey baster.

The less water there is, the less the package will weigh and the lower the shipping charges will be.

-MAKE SURE TO WAIVE THE SIGNATURE ON THE PACKAGES YOU SHIP OUT!!!

Edit: For shipping coldwater anemones use coldpacks instead of heatpacks. Woudn't want to cook the anemones. :lol:

just tellin you what you told me. NOW you know -_-

i expect an apology forthwith.

lol, yeah right..

What?? My tanks already running :lol::P:D

You wrong fo' dat. :P

there are lots of small anyimes if i knew how to ship things i could ship you some next time we go to the beach

Oh oh, that would be awesome. Check out the guide that arwndsh posted, and if you have any other questions, ask away. :happydance:

Btw, temp is down to 55 (experimenting because Jamie requested it). Didn't see any condensation on the tank at 58, but as soon as the temp dropped to 57, the front pane fogged up.

lol, yeah right..

Btw, temp is down to 55 (experimenting because Jamie requested it). Didn't see any condensation on the tank at 58, but as soon as the temp dropped to 57, the front pane fogged up.

-_- no more cold hands complaints then

Wait til summer - you'll be getting a bucket for all the dripping water.

Wait??? Summer is here already. You forgot the seasons here go: Summer, one week of Fall, one month of coldish weather, one week of Spring, Summer. ;)

Archived