Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bosco's First Reef

bosco

i got one from there about 2 weeks ago... its been pretty shy! and a picky eater...

until today it only ate live food! it finally went after a few pellets this morning

i tried to feed them saturday with the cyclopeeze pellet things i got but they wouldn't eat. i tried again yesterday and they were greedily munching on them :lol: also gave them some of the frozen mysis and they seemed to love that. even the crabs and shrimp came out of hiding to scoop up some mysis :) i was happy that they were eating

Wow, you have to get the name of those green and brown zoas...They are cool looking! B)

your guess is as good as mine :(

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I followed Stevie T's glue guide and got all my corals where I want them :) I'm not sure if the GSP will be okay in the corner I have it. Doesn't seem like it's getting that much flow :( I want it to grow all over my sand and on the glass though (not the front, just the side)

Also I think I have some aiptasia on one of my zoas... Gonna post the pic in the ID forum and find out. I tried to grab it with my long tweezers and it shrunk back into its hidey hole :(

reef001.jpg

reef005.jpg

reef007.jpg

reef009.jpg

reef012.jpg

reef013.jpg

reef014.jpg

reef016.jpg

reef017.jpg

reef018.jpg

reef019.jpg

reef020.jpg

dirtwheelsfl

ya, a pep shrimp should take care of any aiptasia you have, which is what it looked like to me..

i have those same exact green and brown polyps, they kind of remind me of a coconut tree or somethin, but opposite, and that "boring" one looks like a monti digitata, glue the base to a rock and it will branch out and look real cool, ive got some with purple tips that look pretty bad

im working on some pics too, my new rock arrange is looking good i think...

ya, a pep shrimp should take care of any aiptasia you have, which is what it looked like to me..

i have those same exact green and brown polyps, they kind of remind me of a coconut tree or somethin, but opposite, and that "boring" one looks like a monti digitata, glue the base to a rock and it will branch out and look real cool, ive got some with purple tips that look pretty bad

im working on some pics too, my new rock arrange is looking good i think...

i'm wondering if i can just pop the frag from the live rock and dip it in something to kill the aiptasia... i really don't want it to spread. and yea it's a monti digitata but looks boring right now. i glued it down to the rock the kenya tree is on. we'll see if it gets bigger and more purple :)

look forward to your pics? get on it! :lol:

Hey, Bosco

Your tank is looking sweeter and sweeter for each day that goes by...

Look at your pics, and yes aiptasia. Also in the last pictures, kind in like the back of the rock, I think of seeing a majano. Just check, if is a majano. Then try to get Joe's Juice. You can treat your Aiptasia and Majano before spreads out.

Check Majano picture

I think Joe's Juice will be OK to use, taking in consideration the size of your system. Don't think it will harm any other of your corals.

I know, I don't have enough experience in this hobby yet. But I'm been reading and researching plenty for a about a month now.

Keep the nice work and of course, ENJOY! B)

P.D I also found the name for your zoas Kryptonite

Hey, Bosco

Your tank is looking sweeter and sweeter for each day that goes by...

Look at your pics, and yes aiptasia. Also in the last pictures, kind in like the back of the rock, I think of seeing a majano. Just check, if is a majano. Then try to get Joe's Juice. You can treat your Aiptasia and Majano before spreads out.

Check Majano picture

I think Joe's Juice will be OK to use, taking in consideration the size of your system. Don't think it will harm any other of your corals.

I know, I don't have enough experience in this hobby yet. But I'm been reading and researching plenty for a about a month now.

Keep the nice work and of course, ENJOY! B)

P.D I also found the name for your zoas Kryptonite

oh my i didn't even notice that, thanks for pointing it out i'll check it when i get home.

i might have to call around the local shops to see if they have joe's juice or aiptasia x. i went to order it online but the cost of shipping is almost as much as the product. i hate that :angry:

i looked at the pics of the kryptonite and i'm not sure. the "mouths" on my zoas aren't nearly as big as those but i like the name kryptonite :lol: anyway we'll see when they get bigger/spread/whatever they do.

thanks for your help and kind comments !!!

Pico & Guac

I've got a 20L sitting on my back porch going to be moving my 6 gallon stuff into it this summer. I wasn't sure if i wanted to do saltwater with it, but looking at your pics have convinced me that the 20L is the place to be.

I've got a 20L sitting on my back porch going to be moving my 6 gallon stuff into it this summer. I wasn't sure if i wanted to do saltwater with it, but looking at your pics have convinced me that the 20L is the place to be.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

thanks. it's really not much to look at yet though. needs more age

i noticed this morning that i'm getting a nice bit of purple coralline spotting on my back glass :D

that makes me happy!

there's still one small stalk of aiptasia that the peppermint isn't eating. i'm going to give him another week to get to work on it then i'm gonna end up catching the shrimp and isolating him with the frag somehow and not gonna feed him till he eats it up :lol: cruelty? i don't think...

everything has been pretty great so far. no problems at all. i haven't added anything to the tank since the last update so no need to post pictures. spending most of my time right now on the 10 gallon i'm setting up at work but once that project is done i'll be doing some more to my home setup :D

WoW! Excellent another tank! :P:) I'll be following too!

Bosco, please remember to check my tank threat and let me know what u think...

I'm glad everything is going good at home base tank....

i've been lurking in your thread jdantunes, i never know what to say though. i'll try to contribute though :D

as far as my tank goes, i'm a little sick of coming home almost every day to the pump blowing bubbles :( the thing evaporates water like crazy and i think it's the lights being right on the water like they are. i picked up a 2x4 at lowes while getting yet another piece of acrylic cut for the 10 gallon :unsure: and had them cut it in 13" chunks.

spray painted them black and used them to elevate the lights a bit above the water. they aren't unstable but if anyone goes and pushes them around they may fall which worries me although nobody should be doing that. we don't get earthquakes around here so i think it'll be okay. overall i like the look and i can now look down from the top into the aquarium which is nice. i can also feed them and test the water and all without having to move a light out the way so i'm pretty happy. the one downside is the light now spreads across my entire room :lol: makes it bright in here when i love the dark. oh well i can live with it.

i think my hammer coral hates me :( apparently i had too much flow on it even after redirecting the maxijet. i lost 3 heads and a 4th head looks like it's about to detach from the skeleton. i can't find where the heads went in the tank :unsure: but there's definitely 3 empty thingies now and only 3 heads remain... i moved the maxijet once again where it's aimed straight at the glass and up a little... lets hope the rest of the heads make it. i wonder if it will use the empty skeletons to start new heads?

so anyway, onto the pictures.

new FTS

10gallon020.jpg

zatarain in his usual hangout

10gallon014.jpg

bob and marley being camera shy10gallon016.jpg

i'm not sure what these little white circular things that are forming on some of my rocks. i can only hope they're good :unsure:

10gallon017.jpg

i love my yuma :) hey look one of the clowns stopped being shy!10gallon018.jpg

yay coralline yay!

10gallon019.jpg

yea well the next 3 pics are crappy but it's the first time i get to look into my tank from the top so it makes me happy :)

10gallon021.jpg

10gallon022.jpg

10gallon023.jpg

oh forgot to mention... i removed the little live rock that had a few zoas on it. the guy i got the yuma from gave it to me as a freebee but even after trying to remove the marajo it came back. the zoas never looked healthy anyway and only a couple of them even opened so it wasn't even worth keeping it and having a pest in the aquarium.

i'm picking up some leathers monday from a local who's tearing his tank down. he's selling a rock with 4 leathers on it and some red sea pom pom xenia for $35 so i can't really pass it up. the problem is they're attached to an 8"x6" rock :o i hope i can find somewhere for it in my tank... Maybe I can move the rock the yuma is on forward and put it in the back corner ..... i wonder how you acclimate an entire rock :unsure:

5v8a2s.jpg

Bosco, everything looks great! You should be very proud! That Yuma :o is AMAZING....I got one too but mine is little... :lol:

Hey, just leave a random comment in my threat, I'll appreciate it...

About the new rock you mention, I think is great. But, be very careful were you place it. Xenia's have tendency of walking to the light, and every step they make, the leave a new Xenia behind. And they spread FAST...

Other than that, you'll be fine... LOVE the 40's threat..love the 10's threat...and great ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS GUIDE!!! ROCK ON... ;)

Looking good! Bob & Marley are :wub: I think I'm goint to raise my light for a little hand room too. It gets irritating removing it and putting it back and always worrying I might drop them.

Just recording parameters.

1.028 salinity (sump was about to blow bubbles, a gallon of fresh was added to correct evap so should be 1.025-1.026 when it all mixes properly

80º F Temperature (stays steady all the time now that the lights are lifted... no more 83º moments for me :) )

440 mg/L Calcium

9ºdKH Carbonate Hardness

0 ppm Phosphates

8.4 pH

0.5 ppm Ammonia

0 ppm Nitrites

5 ppm Nitrates

Think maybe one of my crabs died. Haven't seen him in like a week and the other one that usually comes out every time i feed didn't come out today :unsure:

No real explanation why the ammonia is up unless something died. I'm not overfeeding and I've been staying on top of the weekly water changes. Grrrr -_-

so a coworker let me borrow his nikon d50 and i'm learning how to use it... took some new pictures but not sure how i feel about them. i have a lot of reading to do about how this thing works :(

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

so the shrimp still hasn't touched the aiptasia on that rock in the back but it has found a home underneath it :angry: sooooo i bought a chisel and some safety goggles and that rock is going down tonight!

going to pull the xenia off and try to get it attached to my other rocks and also going to break up the rock to get rid of the weird algae and aiptasia leaving the leathers still attached to the pieces

will post pics of the rock massacre once done :lol:

so yesterday i chopped up the rock that had the leathers, xenia, weird algae, and aiptasia on it... i wasn't able to save as much xenia as i wanted but i still got a little so hopefully it spreads because i like how it looks :)

i found my cleaner shrimp in the corner of the tank dead :'( nah just kidding he was only molting :lol: i thought he was dead though and pulled him out and saw there was nothing on the inside so i was like hahah that's a relief... he was hiding under a rock and is now up in his favorite position on my sump drain. i still only see 1 crab... i think the other kicked the bucket but i can't find his body anywhere -_- ah well hopefully the other crab eats him because i'm not ripping apart my rocks

sad to say the purple coralline on the back wall is turning green :huh: i guess my tank and purple just don't work together. i don't mind the green look and i don't have to scrape the glass all the time so i'm cool with it. the little white specs on my top rock are getting more and more abundant... no idea wtf they are but oh well looks cool at least :lol: anyway here's some new pics

reef004.jpg

reef001.jpg

reef003.jpg

reef008.jpg

Mean joke about your shrimp, Bosco! :lol: For an second you make me feel bad...

You did great breaking the rock, Leathers and Xenia look good! Also your latest FTS is great, but I wish that you look to zoom in more in your tank leaving tour light fixture out of the frame ;)

What kind of lightning do you use to keep your reef? T5?

About purple coraline....Do you have any piece of rock with it? Because, if you don't, you should get one and direct your flow to hit the purple rock first and then your aquascape. Read in other threats that's the easiest way to get it to grow.

Mean joke about your shrimp, Bosco! :lol: For an second you make me feel bad...

You did great breaking the rock, Leathers and Xenia look good! Also your latest FTS is great, but I wish that you look to zoom in more in your tank leaving tour light fixture out of the frame ;)

What kind of lightning do you use to keep your reef? T5?

About purple coraline....Do you have any piece of rock with it? Because, if you don't, you should get one and direct your flow to hit the purple rock first and then your aquascape. Read in other threats that's the easiest way to get it to grow.

sorry didn't mean to be cruel about the shrimp! thanks for the compliment about the leathers/xenia. i like it a lot better that way then the big ugly aiptastia filled rock. i'll make sure to zoom in more next time to cut out the lights but it's hard with my crappy camera (had to give the other one back)

i have t5ho lights but not exactly sure about the bulbs... i want a better combination of bulbs but just not sure what to get. i think right now it's the ones that originally came with the ballasts (bought it used) 2x 10k and 2x actinics. i was wondering about mixing it up a bit though. they're the cheap ballasts though (no individual reflecters) but everything seems to be happy under them

yea i have a couple rocks that have purple coralline spots but they just don't wanna spread. i'll have to search for those threads. thanks for the help :)

well i found my peppermint shrimp dead in the corner... he hasn't been coming out to eat lately during feeding and i guess there wasn't any more aiptasia for him to feed on :( RIP lil fella

Ok so over the weekend both of my emerald crabs were found dead... wtf is going on o.O my coral all looks great, the clowns and cleaner are happy as can be.. i just don't understand.

when i get home i'm going to test everything and probably do a big water change. not sure what could be killing stuffs. perhaps the shrimp was sick and the crabs eating it made them sick too? i have no idea...

well ran all the usual tests...

1.026 salinity

80.5º F

8.4pH

0 ammonia

0 nitrites

10 nitrates

so wtf why is stuff dying?!? grrrr

Archived