Cultivated Reef

Bosco's First Reef

bosco

purplefirefish
he may just give it to you ...i know my lfs in houma just gives it out when they trim the access

george wont give it away... :unsure:

its 5 bucks for a pretty decent size bag of it tho

also, check out aquatic specialties... its right down the road from coral connection

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't really seen any answers to your questions here sooooo.. Your salinity NEEDS to come down to around 1.024-1.025. Your margarita snails are a temperate snail meaning they like cooler temperatures and will eventually die in 80 degree water. Watch out for your nerite snails as they like to leave the water for periods of time and can even end up on the floor. Cerith snails typically like to burry themselves. I think you have too many snails for your tank, if just one of them dies it will decay in around 8 hours totally poluting your system and causing a major spike in parameters. I would also drop your water temperature to 76-78 degrees it's a happy medium temperature. You mentioned that your salinity might be high because you topped off your evaporation which doesn't make much sense unless you are using mixed water for topoffs instead of RO/DI water. Always topoff with freshwater otherwise your salinity will continue to rise. I would definitely work on getting your salinity lowered first though over the course of the week you should slowly lower it as to not cause a shock to the inhabitants. Oh and you should find some way to seal off that pipe going into the sump, or you could end up coming home one day to a saltwater tidal pool in your mom's house.

Tank looks good! and good luck!

So today I stopped at a place called Coral Connection and picked up a pair of Ocellaris Clowns. While I was there I also picked up a couple of corals (kenya tree and green star polyp) Since I was in the neighborhood I visited a local reefer that sold me some zoa frags (fire and ice and another kind i forgot the name) and he also gave me 2 frags of SPS (i forgot the names of them but will get it soon from the guy who gave em to me) I didn't want to put SPS in my tank yet and wanted to just stick with softies and easy to keep corals but he gave them to me, said they were hardy, and since my parameters are all in check said they would thrive... Guess we'll find out (please don't yell at me!!)

Anyway, I picked up some Kent Marine Lugol's Solution, Tetra MicroCrabs Cyclop-eeze Granules, some frozen mysis shrimp, and DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton.

The coral is floating in the water in their baggies and have been for about an hour while I read about iodine dips. The clowns are in a bucket and I'm slowly adding cupfuls of tankwater to it... I tried to drip acclimate but completely failed at it so I read this is another way to do it. About to empty half the water out the bucket and begin adding more tank water.

Pics to come soon for those that care :P

Oh yea I also tested my water again just to make sure everything was perfect before putting everything in so might as well add them to my log book here :)

Water Parameters

1.025 Salinity

8.4 pH

0 Ammonia

0 Nitrites

0 Nitrates

440 mg/L Calcium

9º dKH

0 ppm Phosphate

dirtwheelsfl
Pics to come soon for those that care :P

hey im following the fellow 20 long here, im not much into the commenting though... lets see some pics!

did your clowns come out of the huge tub downstairs??

yea... is that bad :o

hey im following the fellow 20 long here, im not much into the commenting though... lets see some pics!

YAY someone cares <3

Alright the guy got back to me and let me know the SPS he gave me was Pocillapora and Montipora Digitata.

Everything is acclimated and in the tank :o That took a while. The clowns are actually pretty happy swimming all over the place but keep going to the far back right corner. I guess there's not much flow back there and they can chill out and get used to the new surroundings. None of the corals are opening up yet which is to be expected.

I turned the lights on for a few minutes and snapped a few pictures. I hope they didn't mind :o I got a pretty good macro shot of the Pocillapora but the clowns kept zipping around so fast I couldn't get a clear shot of them. Maybe it's time to get a new camera?

I also got the Aqua-C Remora Skimmer cleaned up and turned on. No foam yet but we'll see what happens tomorrow. Such an exciting night has got me all tuckered out. Ready to catch some ZZZZzzzzzzzzs :)

Introducing Bob and Marley :)

bobandmarley.jpg

bobandmarley2.jpg

The green star polyp all closed up :o

greenstarpolyp.jpg

The kenya tree also all closed up :(

kenyatree.jpg

The two SPS corals and the two zoas

spsandzoas.jpg

A closeup of the Pocillapora

pocillapora.jpg

My chaeto full of whatever the heck those wormlike feather duster looking things are :huh: The guy I got the chaeto from said they were good to have so w/e they look pretty cool

chaeto.jpg

The skimmer hooked up and going :)

skimmer.jpg

Oh almost forgot the new FTS

fts.jpg

purplefirefish

i got one from there about 2 weeks ago... its been pretty shy! and a picky eater...

until today it only ate live food! it finally went after a few pellets this morning

where's your thread btw? i wanna follow you back :) not many 20 gallon longs on this site

i got one from there about 2 weeks ago... its been pretty shy! and a picky eater...

until today it only ate live food! it finally went after a few pellets this morning

did you deal with the guy that talked like the shamwow guy? i swear i was expecting him to say "ya followin me camera guy?" or at the very least "BONK!" like the scout from TF2 :lol:

he said the store was feeding them the cyclopeeze granules i bought and loved them. he tried to sell me live food but i'm not at that stage yet. hopefully they either eat the granules or the frozen mysis cubes i got em. guess we'll find out tomorrow when i get home from work.

Lookin' good man. I just started my 20L you can check it out in my signature link.. I love the clowns, frags, skimmer you got.

Lookin' good man. I just started my 20L you can check it out in my signature link.. I love the clowns, frags, skimmer you got.

thanks! i'll check out your tank :) i can't wait until everything is full of corraline and corals oh it will be so beautiful

the clowns are so funny! they're swimming all over the tank happy as can be but when they notice me watching them they rush over to the far right corner :wub: they're so cute

argh even though i have the heater fully submersed and set to 86 the water temp is still 77 :angry: going to petsmart to pickup a new heater after work :(

purplefirefish
did you deal with the guy that talked like the shamwow guy? i swear i was expecting him to say "ya followin me camera guy?" or at the very least "BONK!" like the scout from TF2 :lol:

he said the store was feeding them the cyclopeeze granules i bought and loved them. he tried to sell me live food but i'm not at that stage yet. hopefully they either eat the granules or the frozen mysis cubes i got em. guess we'll find out tomorrow when i get home from work.

i dealt with the owner... and he continued to puff his cigar while talking to me... <_<

dirtwheelsfl
where's your thread btw? i wanna follow you back :) not many 20 gallon longs on this site

dont have one, i need to work on taking pictures with my sisters camera, then maybe ill make one...

your tank is looking good i think ill set up one like it i like the 20 long

i'm already looking into a 40 gallon breeder :blush:

it's got the long look that i really like and twice as big wee! lol

going to be at least a year before i decide to upgrade. think i might leave the 20g here at home with my mom and teach her how to care for it. she loves coming in here just to look at the crabs :lol: now that there's fish she can't wait for me to feed them

So today I picked up a new heater (Visitherm Deluxe 300w) Kinda overkill with the wattage but she only had aquaclear heaters that were 50/100/150 so i said what the hell. I put it in my tank, set the temp, the indicator light comes on saying it's heating, then after a few minutes it turns off :mellow:

The water went from 76 to 78 and then the heater thinks it's warm enough even though I have it at its max setting :( I decided to move the heater. I had it in the bubble trap so water was constantly passing over it. Maybe the space is too small for it to tell what temp it really is ya know? Maybe the water in that little hole heats up enough and even though it's constantly flowing the heater shuts off?

So anyway I put it in the main part of my sumpwhere the chaeto is and the light came back on. We'll see if it can push it to 80º properly. I really dig that it's fully submersible so i have it sideways in the tank completely underwater. I was scared to do that with my other one. Also I love the indicator light. I was hoping to pickup a hydor theo but I read good things about visitherm so figured what the hell.

I also picked up an Aqualight 1watt LED moonlight thingy so I can watch the fish when the lights are off and to also give them a sunrise/sunset deal. Plugged it in and it's dead <_< so I have to go back to the LFS to exchange it.

ALSO picked up a skunk cleaner shrimp :lol: I can't quit spending money. I got a water changer syphon dealio and was able to drip acclimate him proper. I think maybe the water was a bit more than a drip though but I'm sure it was better than pouring cupfulls of water in. He's hiding behind the rocks so we'll see how he does. I'll take pictures later when my lights kick on.

I need to research what to do with these corals and how to feed my clownfish exactly. The plates the corals are mounted on are a PITA and I need to trim them or something so I can put them on the rocks correctly. Also the 2 SPS that the guy gave me aren't even on a tile thing so I have no idea what to do. I just have them all sitting on my rocks right now so they can enjoy the flow and soon the light. None of them have really opened up yet except for the kenya tree but when I moved it, it shrunk all tight. I hope they come out and play when the lights come on.

Oh wow the temp is already to 79... I better turn down the heater I think it may be warming the water up too fast now. It being in that bubble trap must have been the problem hmm.

Weird now it's back down to 78.1 before I even touched it... WTF dude why can't I keep heat properly in this tank :angry:

Wow i would not be running a 300W heater in that tank if anything happens it will fry everything in no time flat. How large is the compartment the heater is in? It will need a ton of flow around it since it is such a large heater, the water around it will heat up super fast.

Wow i would not be running a 300W heater in that tank if anything happens it will fry everything in no time flat. How large is the compartment the heater is in? It will need a ton of flow around it since it is such a large heater, the water around it will heat up super fast.

yea it's gonna get replaced in 2 weeks when i get paid again. going to order a 100 or 150w off the intrawebs and just use this 300w for water changes and will probably put it in the bigger tank when i upgrade ;)

i swapped out that aqua light and it's very dim :( not worth the 30 bucks at all... thinking about returning it and just getting a cathode or something. i do really like how the fish and coral look so much different under the blue light though. man i wish i had ballasts that let me turn on just actinics :(

Pictures

heater and moonlight purchase today

reef001.jpg

bob and marley welcoming their new tankmate (don't have a name yet for the little guy)

reef003.jpg

A crappy picture of how dim this single LED is (waste of $30 if you ask me)

reef006.jpg

New FTS

reef012.jpg

my shrimp all happy and acclimated chilling in the corner while getting used to his new home

reef015.jpg

my green star polyp opening up and saying hello

reef037.jpg

the kenya tree

reef019.jpg

This thing looks awesome

reef025.jpg

No idea what the name of these are but they're cool looking

reef029.jpg

Fire and Ice Zoas

reef031.jpg

This guy is pretty boring :-/ Supposed to turn purple if I give him some more light (was on the bottom of the guy's 125 gallon and getting no light)

reef032.jpg

Archived