Cultivated Reef

Dan's new 6g thread

danimal1211

danimal1211

Well went by Mr. Coral today, to brows and ended up buying three test kits, mag, cal, and alk. They had some pretty nice stuff there as far as corals as well. Came home and tried out the new tests, since I use Instant Oceans I knew params would be a bit low: mag=1200, calc 360-380, alk is at 10dkh, which is higher than some keep it but within range. Alk is somewhat inversely proportional to calc, so as I bring calc up alk should come down to a bit right? Well I'm gonna get a two part here in the next week and start supplementing my water changes, so I can slowly bring these params into normal ranges. The clown seems to like his new home, every morning he's up at the surface begging for breakfast. He loves the brine shrimp. I've just been using a flat ended toothpick to administer small globs at a time, and he eats right off the toothpick, usually two or three globs then wait for lunch. He doesn't seem interested in eating at night though.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahh, not real sure. I thought ring species was a term given to a group of similar species where type A can breed with B, Type B can breed with both A and C, but type A cannot breed with C.

Yeah thats what i was getting at, seeing as some of the less common clowns come from certain areas. I was reading the other day that trumpet fish are now considered a ring species, ocean changes have seperated and reintroduced species over evolutionary time and now it is being noticed that pacific and atlantic colonies are able to reproduce together.

danimal1211

It's been a few days since I updated so I figured I'd take a couple pics. Tank is still fine. The New clown fish is enjoying his new home quite well. Every morning when I wake up he's up at the surface begging for food. He'll eat the pellets if I feed them one by one, but he won't chase them. He really loves the brine shrimp though. I'd like to say I feed until he's content, but it seems he'll just eat no matter what, so I usually give him either a couple gobs of brine, or 5-6 pellets. A couple of the snails have taken to burying themselves in the sand, I presume their eating detritus. The diatom bloom was hardly noticeable, they kept it well under control, in fact I'm not sure they've got enough food there's really no algae in the tank (knock on wood, but I'm sure it will come). This week I'm planning on adding my first corals. I'm gonna go pick out some zoa's from the LFS I mentioned earlier since they have some really nice stuff cheap. I'll go into more detail once there here though.

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0047-1.jpg

Really fast Clown :D

DSCF0048-2.jpg

1337TANKHAX

Dude I have a false perc that I swear has the exact opposite pattern. It has a regular front stripe, no third stripe, and on it's left side (=< it has a small beginning of a stripe in the middle, and a circle on the opposite side. CRAZY. haha

danimal1211

Nice, The place I got him had several other True's with broken line patterns, I liked this one the best though.

• 2 weeks later...

I made an ATO for my biocube 14 for $20 that would work well for your tank. I bought a float switch from ebay and a electronic relay from ebay to. The float switch turns on the relay and the relay turns on a air pump. The air pump pumps air into a pop bottle full of ro/di. The air pushes water out of the bottle up to the tank. The hoses in the bottle have to be seilled well in the lid of the bottle. oh the relay needs a small voltage DC power supply like a 3v or 6v. Im not the best at explaning it but its easy to make.

danimal1211

Thanks I ended up getting the DIY ATO from a LFS and set it up very similar to your discription. Right now I'm using a Nalgene bottle but I need to get something bigger in the future because I have to refill it every couple days.

danimal1211

He isn't breaking any weight records although he seems to want to eat like he might. He's been hosting in (or more accurately on) one of my zoa frags lately, which is kinda funny to watch as he just lays sideways on it. Unfortunately, he developed a malpigmentation syndrome because of the zoa's. I thought he was sick at first but after some research it seems to happen to clowns sometimes when they try to host in zoas.

DSCF0034-1.jpg

• 3 years later...

Thanks, this tank was taken down back in Jan, 2011 when I relocated to Columbia, SC. It did quite well until then, I just stopped updating. I currently have a new tank started (aqueon evolve 8) but want to let it mature before I show it off.

Archived