• Created
  • Last Reply
danimal1211

Fish

Only

With

Live

Rock

It was a 75 gallon tank I set up back in early '02 but had to take it down late '03 because I got deployed over seas. I've been wanting to set up a tank ever since but the opportunity wasn't there, I finally said "F" it and set this one up.

Cheers dude, i guessed it was something to do with live rock. Thats a good point to be honest with the Ca and alk. I guess i have that to look forward to in the months to come once i am happy the tank is safe for some acropora. I am trying to add a fungia plate coral, will push the bioload a bit more but hopefully will help push the tank in the direction i am aiming for.

Nice tank, is that the Solana Stand? It looks like the same stand that I have for my Solana that I got from current.

Bruce

danimal1211

Thanks for the complements to all! Today has been a practice in patience. Since today and tomorrow are my days off, I figured I'd kill a little time going to one of our better LFS'. There's a few things on my list of wants such as pump upgrades, and calc. alk. and mag. test kits, that I don't really need now, but plan on getting some time in the near future. I also wanted to ask about ordering the sexy shrimp for my tank. Well as I was browsing I ventured over to their frag tank, where they have some very nice Zoa and Paly colonies and frags. The owner was over there so I asked how much for the frags and he said they were only $15 :o . It took a lot of will power not to bring any of them home with me. Especially the AOG frag he had. Anyways, they're setting up a section of the store strictly for inverts, that should be up and running in the next couple weeks, so I'll have to be patient a little while longer (always better in the long run) before I get my sexies or first corals.

danimal1211

well, looking at the tank I noticed a little bit of brown popping up on the glass and a little on one of the rocks. I think tomorrow will be a good day to add snails after my water change.

danimal1211

Well yesterday I got some snails for the tank. Diatom bloom is still very light and I'm sure they'll be able to stay on top of it no problem. The store I went to had a red banded goby like the one I wanted but he didn't look so healthy. I ended up getting a Citron Goby as he looked very healthy and, at my request, was fed. He was more than willing to take the mysis shrimp, so I brought him home. I fed once more last night and he seemed to like the pellet food. He's still a bit reclusive so as soon as I can snap a pic I will.

Well yesterday I got some snails for the tank. Diatom bloom is still very light and I'm sure they'll be able to stay on top of it no problem. The store I went to had a red banded goby like the one I wanted but he didn't look so healthy. I ended up getting a Citron Goby as he looked very healthy and, at my request, was fed. He was more than willing to take the mysis shrimp, so I brought him home. I fed once more last night and he seemed to like the pellet food. He's still a bit reclusive so as soon as I can snap a pic I will.

Any pics yet?

danimal1211

no he still dives into the cave every time I get near and I can't get a good shot of him under the rock because my camera really blows. Hopefully in the next month I'll be able to buy a better camera. :(

no he still dives into the cave every time I get near and I can't get a good shot of him under the rock because my camera really blows. Hopefully in the next month I'll be able to buy a better camera. :(

I know how you feel about the camera, my pics are all off the camera on my phone samsung sgh600, quality is whack!

danimal1211

well unfortunately my citron goby chose to take the low road sometime this morning. My son and I went out for breakfast then to the fish store to by some frozen food, because although he has eaten it has been intermittent at best with the pellets. When I got home I put a little bit of the spirulina enriched brine in the tank, watched it slowly drift down to his hiding spot and nothing. Looked in his hole, not there, looked in all the nooks and crannies, nowhere to be found. Looked on the ground, couldn't find him. looked in the back compartments, nowhere. I finally found him shriveled up under the table the tank is on. :( one of the other LFS' has some young Naked Perculas, I think I'm gonna get one of those, then when he outgrows the tank, find a bigger home for him and find a replacement. I knew it was a risk putting a goby in an open top aquarium, it was an irresponsible one.

well unfortunately my citron goby chose to take the low road sometime this morning. My son and I went out for breakfast then to the fish store to by some frozen food, because although he has eaten it has been intermittent at best with the pellets. When I got home I put a little bit of the spirulina enriched brine in the tank, watched it slowly drift down to his hiding spot and nothing. Looked in his hole, not there, looked in all the nooks and crannies, nowhere to be found. Looked on the ground, couldn't find him. looked in the back compartments, nowhere. I finally found him shriveled up under the table the tank is on. :( one of the other LFS' has some young Naked Perculas, I think I'm gonna get one of those, then when he outgrows the tank, find a bigger home for him and find a replacement. I knew it was a risk putting a goby in an open top aquarium, it was an irresponsible one.

Thats why i went for my saddleback clown.

danimal1211

Well last night I went and got a new fish for the tank. They didn't have the Naked Percula's that I originally wanted but what I found was a True Perc. that I really liked. He's eating really well and seems to be adjusting to the tank, and unlike the goby, I can actually get pictures of this one.

DSCF0005-1.jpg

DSCF0007-1.jpg

I really like the three dots on one side and one on the other instead of the typical bars

danimal1211

Not sure exactly how ORA gets the hybrids, but where i got mine sells only ORA clowns. He has the typical True Perc. characteristics and thats what he was sold as.

Not sure exactly how ORA gets the hybrids, but where i got mine sells only ORA clowns. He has the typical True Perc. characteristics and thats what he was sold as.

True and common are very identical so i can see how they breed these, their website shows you the crosses, I am more interested in Claki and Saddleback cross breeds, i doubt they would, i was just interested from a biology point of view. I did alot of work in my degree about particular birds that live all over the world that can breed with similar birds from close areas but can't breed with birds past certain locations, they are known as ring species, gulls are an example.

danimal1211

Ahh, not real sure. I thought ring species was a term given to a group of similar species where type A can breed with B, Type B can breed with both A and C, but type A cannot breed with C.

danimal1211

BTW, how do you get a link to your tank thread in your signature? I was trying to figure it out the other day but couldn't find it.

danimal1211

I guessed my wording was confusing, I wanted to put a link to this thread in my signature, like you have a link in your sig to your tank thread.

Paleoreef103

Hey. Are you still looking at putting an ATO on the tank? Try a JBJ with an aqualifter. It really has such a small amount of flow that it should work for such a small tank.

danimal1211

Thanks for the advice I'm still marinating on which route I want to take. I've been debating a couple different ideas and am gonna make a choice in the next few days because I'm going on a two day trip in two weeks.

Archived