Top Shelf Aquatics

5.5 gallon pico log

AquaStud

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some updated pics... Some ditrus has formed on the bottom of the tank. This pic was before I did the PWC yesterday.

100_0533.jpg

100_0534.jpg

Tank before rescaping

100_0538.jpg

Tank after, moved back piece

100_0519.jpg

CLAM!!

100_0532.jpg

The clam moved to the other side of the tank on the sandbed.

100_0537.jpg

Different Angle

100_0546.jpg

King of the Mountain!

I'll be adding some corals in the next week or two. Xenia for sure and maybe some frogspawn or hammer coral. Enjoy..

MichiganReefer

I'm in the process of finishing the same 5.5 mod. Should be done this weekend. I'll be following along to see how yours works out since they are identical. I too have to move and my tank will have to travel 6 hours every three months. I've done it before, its just not fun.

I'm in the process of finishing the same 5.5 mod. Should be done this weekend. I'll be following along to see how yours works out since they are identical. I too have to move and my tank will have to travel 6 hours every three months. I've done it before, its just not fun.

I had to travel an hour with the contents of a 40g and a 20g tropical tanks, i had three buckets of plants (5g buckets) 30kilo of substrate a tank that weighs too much and the 20g tank plus all the fish i think 15, took me over an hour to net them. All big cichlids, i didn't have to do much in terms of emptying the tank and the fish and splashed most of it out whilst i was netting them! Moving tanks is a PITA. I'm not looking forward to next christmas both my tanks are in the two locations that the christmas tree has always been in. I don't think the parents thought about that when i located the tanks!

Well, I got two new additions to the tank today. A nice green frogspawn and a pulsing xenia frag. After acclimating them I ended up doing some aquascaping and busting up the large rock I had in the back of the tank into smaller pieces to make more room so I could put the frogspawn on the sandbed. At first the frogspawn was all closed up but is pretty well open now. Still not quite as full as at the fish store, but about 90%. The Xenia on the other hand has perked up a little but still seems a little droopy. It didnt help that I stired up the tank a lot after putting them in either though...

PICS!

100_0553.jpg

After being put into the tank

100_0556-1.jpg

After a few minutes it opened up pretty good!

100_0554.jpg

Xenia

NotGumbelWV
I was thinking about going into Marine Biology, but I could never leave the good old state of Wisconsin.

There are many famed marine biologists, you know ...

79169-304137.jpg

:lol:

great stuff!

just finished my 2o gallon long version......haha i noticed u had the same problem drilling the hole for the return pump!

it kinda pops out the plastic!

like a bullet hole!

Actually, since im at school I melted the hole by heating up a philips screw driver and welted the hole there. But yeah, it did bubble out a little bit. The xenia is also extending its arms out a lot further today, and the frogspawn keeps looking better and better. :)

I checked on the tank quick before heading over to my campus job (pretty much two hours well spent here on NR) and its looking a lot less cloudy since I lowered my flow rate. I think im gonna have to break one of my rocks into a few smaller pieces though in order to do some serious aquascaping. I got three really nice pieces in there but they just look jumbled as of now.

Very cool, i did samething with my rock. All the rock on the right side of my tank used to be one piece hehe. Only suggestion i can think of is instead of the sponges I would use filter floss. It's cheap at fabric stores 1lb is usually $3 something and that goes a long ways. I love the internal fuge! i kinda wish i had done that looking back.

yeah, Ive got a good size piece of cheato in there now and a piece of that blue filter floss pad. Works out pretty good. I looked at your thread and saw the new goby, looks good. I think ill be adding a YCG this summer while im at home and hopefully some sexies. We'll see.

yeah, Ive got a good size piece of cheato in there now and a piece of that blue filter floss pad. Works out pretty good. I looked at your thread and saw the new goby, looks good. I think ill be adding a YCG this summer while im at home and hopefully some sexies. We'll see.

Yeah i REALLY wanted a YCG but was worried about the adjustment period on them and sometimes they won't eat. Get the fattest one you can find :) I still wanna get one, maybe for my other tank. Anyway, i love your fuge setup :D

Thanks man! The GSP and Green Eye palys are in the mail that I bought from reefCrawler on here, so hopefully they get here sometime tomorrow or on wednesday and are in decent shape, its been kinda cold here...

well I was sitting here at my desk and all of a sudden I noticed something I hadnt seen in my tank before...a bristle worm. he's gotta be about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in length already, so i tried pinching his head with the end of the fish net, but he got back in his hole too fast... Anyways, the hunt is on tonight!

I love my bristle worms, they are fun to watch, those suckers can eat! I watch tiny ones eat up a full size flake in like 2 secs then watch it travel down their body lol. Excellent scavengers for sure!

Well I got the GSP and Green Eye paly in the mail this morning and they are slowly but surely opening up.... will post pics later, as for now, I have to finish a stats project!

From what i read from others bristle worms shouldn't cause any harm. There are only a couple varieties out of the 100 or so species that are known to cause any issues with coral. They are however awesome scavengers!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I moved the tank today, and it worked out really good but was still a frustrating experience. All my corals opened up really nice once I got them home and got the tank back together. I bought a yellow watchman goby a few days ago and he is loving the tank. Ill post pics next week once I get home. The Xenias have really grown.

MGDMIRAGE

nice! welcome to the 5.5 YWG club lol i never see mine since i added the pistol shrimp. I may move them to my 20H cause the shrimp keeps burying my zoas :(

Archived