Coral Vue Hydros

5.5 gallon pico log

AquaStud

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks good. I wouldn't use that metal thermometer if I were you. I'd get a glass or digital one instead.

yeah, ive been thinking about that too. I dont want anything (metals) in the tank that dont need to be there and mess up my future corals/ water quality. Im gonna pick one of those up sometime soon

I took all the Caulerpa out of the tank this afternoon and did a bit of aquascaping, and the tank looks great! My rocks look amazing under the lights now that the water has cleared up, and they are about 80% covered in purple coraline algea. I will be posting some pics up tomorrow morning, so you'll have to wait until then to see...... B)

Well, Ive decided to throw them up quick after a long night of studying. Here you have it...

cam106.jpg

View of tank on desk, you cant see the back half.

cam108.jpg

View from sitting at desk, the high middle rosk was cracked in half so there is no coraline algea on that face.

cam110.jpg

Coraline Algea!

cam107.jpg

Ricordas??? small button shaped things, some are a very bright green.

100_0482.jpg

my beautiful girlfriend next to her freshwater tank.

Hope you liked them, the water is still a bit cloudy, will post when it is clear. :D

Some new pics from today. I will probably test the water, even though all the rock came from established tanks that had corals and fish in them...it may be a shorter cycle.

100_0511.jpg

My Favorite View!

100_0512.jpg

Built in Fuge

100_0507.jpg

Front

100_0509.jpg

View from Desk

100_0502.jpg

Corner

Stocking ideas anyone??? B)

I like the rockwork, it's super cool with lots of places for corals. I'd say mushies would look cool in there, but they'd be too high up on top. Maybe if you place them below they'll reach out to get to the light.

Try going with some zoas, too.

For stocking ideas:

A trio of sexy shrimp, and some sort of nano goby.

Softies, including a large centerpiece frag of something with movement (xenia, frogspawn, or even kenya tree).

How's your flow/evap?

And btw... what is your girlfriend breeding in there?

I like the ideas... I know the local lfs has a ton of xenia frags for sale, and if i remember correctly they grow pretty fast too. I really would like a trio of sexies in there as well. Ive been looking over the "official sexy thread" researching them and think they'll bring a lot of personality to the tank.

My girlfriend has a pair of guppies in there as well as a pair of mollies, both recetly had babies, but we only have 5 in the net. She has a dwarf african frog in there that helps keep the baby population down...natural selection B)

Tank looks great. I like the Live Rock peices you have. What do you plan on putting in there, fish? coral?

Bruce

Tank looks great. I like the Live Rock peices you have. What do you plan on putting in there, fish? coral?

Bruce

I've opened it for discussion on here about what I should keep in the tank. As far a fish go, I was thinking about a pair of yellow clown gobies. On the topic of corals, Im not sure as to what I'll be keeping. All I've ever kept in the past were shrooms and polyps...

I think you should abuse the height of this tank! Are you going to add any sps? I can imagine some Acropora, something like elkhorn growing to the surface of the water, would be well cool.

I'm pretty sure ill be getting an xenia, i like the idea of having its long stalks waving in the current. Also some frogspawn or hammerhead corals. Some cool zoos would be nice in there, not so sure about any other sps corals though. I think an anemone crab would be cool too.

Mike Maddox

This thread rocks. My GF and I met in college (both of us were marine biology majors) and she had 5 tanks in her dorm! She just graduated, and I'm already missing the college life. Good thing she's going to grad school soon! ^ ^

Btw, your screenname is awesome.

This thread rocks. My GF and I met in college (both of us were marine biology majors) and she had 5 tanks in her dorm! She just graduated, and I'm already missing the college life. Good thing she's going to grad school soon! ^ ^

Btw, your screenname is awesome.

It's all about marine biology majors! I graduated in biological sciences in the uk, but all my modules were marine,conservation and ecology. Did you ever visit the Gerace Research Centre on San Salvador (Aka James Cook Island)

I was thinking about going into Marine Biology, but I could never leave the good old state of Wisconsin. I already own two small businesses here, so Im kinda grounded. I flip houses with my dad and during the fall I'm a hunting guide for waterfowl hunts with the other business I own with a friend from high school. Maybe one day I'll just open a huge fish store and aquarium maintnence service and play with aquariums all day! I thought it would be cool to maybe aquaculture corals and marine fish too, I'm big on conservation.

Also, what do you think would be the easiest way of getting this thing home without stirring everything up and having to cycle all over again? I only live 25 minutes away, so i thought about draining out half the water, throwing it in a big cooler, wraping it up in blankets and taking it home. What do you guys think?

Justin_Freebords

heres my advice for moving it home. I set up a tank this october and succesfully have moved the tank twice since and it has survived alone for 5 days twice as well.

I broke my tank down completely.

I drained all the water i could and individually bagged or share bagged all my coral and fish and inverts. Sexy shrimp in one bag, snails in one bag, fish in one bag, and like 3 zoas to a bag and then my expensive stuff got its own bag.

I placed all my nicest stuff in a styrofoam box that rode upfront in the car with me. Everyhting else was placed in a grocery bag infront as well. I kept the car temperature pretty warm like 78-80...sucked but was worth it.

I then placed all my rocks into a bucket where i had been draining the water and filled the bucket with all remaining tank water minus a small small thin layer to keep the sand clean.

once i got to my house i set the tank up added some water back slowly trying to keep the debris from the rocks from getting back into the tank. Once i liked how the rocks were scaped i floated as many bags of coral as i could and filled the tank with a new gallon of fresh saltwater. I let the heater run and water warm up with the fish inverts and expensive pieces being the first to go in.

eventually i put everything into the tank and just waited. The next day things were so so and for about a week everyhting looked not too happy but alive after that things went back to normal.

*the most important thing is drain all the water you possibly can*

i left like an inch of water the first move and my trunk now smells like ###### because a lot of water splashed.

good luck, its a pretty simple move to do mine was a hour and ahalf drive on ######ty california highway. Its a pain in the ass but worth the effort when everything arrives alive and well.

i get to look forward to two trips to my dorm over this next week during my spring break because im too lazy to bring the tank home and i need to top off and feed

Wow man, thanks. That was an awesome explanation, should really come in handy. Im contemplating even bringing the tank back here next year though because I would have to bring it back over winter break (almost over a month for us) and we get temps around 20 degrees and lower at those times, and I dont know how well that will work out with moving all the livestock I plan on having....

We'll see....Thanks!

went down to the pet store yesterday and got two small blue hermits and two snails. All the parameters are good, ive been watching them for over the last week and only had a tiny spike on tuesday/wednesday. No suprise since everything came from established tanks.

I have a little bit of ditrus starting to grow on the bottom of the tank, so I added three more really small blue hermits and two snails. I also did a one gallon PWC and added a new digital thermometer and stealth heater to the tank. The tank is running at about 78-79 degrees. Glass cover helps a lot with evaporation.

Archived