Innovative Marine Aquariums

LED Dual Retro - BioCube29 & Custom 3.5g AIO Acrylic

C Jerome

Keep in mind that if you need a heatsink width that falls between the stock sizes that HeatsinkUSA offers, they will cut to size for free.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep in mind that if you need a heatsink width that falls between the stock sizes that HeatsinkUSA offers, they will cut to size for free.

Your right about that Evil...they actually said they would cut those notches out for free too.

Cjerome....How big would you say those notches are that you cut out for the fans?

I want to put my order in for the heatsink but I am at work and can't measure it?

From the pic it looks like an inch and half or so?

Look a little further back in the post and you will see a diagram that I uploaded in real size that you can print out on legal paper and measure.

Jerome

Look a little further back in the post and you will see a diagram that I uploaded in real size that you can print out on legal paper and measure.

Jerome

Oh, thanks... I usually have no idea how to read stuff like that so I kind of skipped right over it. Thanks again for sharing all of this information!

Jerome

Hey Jerome,

You may have covered this, but did you have to shave down two of the screw posts in the hood? I just got my hood in, and I'm laying my diagram over top of it, and it appears that two of the tall screw posts are in the way.

Yeah, I think I just removed the extra tall ones that I did not need. I just kept those three on the left and three on the right that are sort of in a of in groups.

Yeah, I think I just removed the extra tall ones that I did not need. I just kept those three on the left and three on the right that are sort of in a of in groups.

Awesome - did you screw into those shorter posts (3 left, 3 right) for your brackets? Did you use all three on each side?

I used the two posts that are pretty much in line, I think it was the top and bottom one, the middle one is a little off set if my memory serves me correctly.

just ordered everything i saw in your thread for the bc29 retro. =) gonna be interesting... whats your thoughts on using 60 degree optics?

Could not say definitively because like a lot of projects it was spread out over many small installments. Could it be done in a solid weekend, I think so if all parts and tools were on hand.

Jerome

Aliasnumber1

Thanks for the write up, I'm ready to ditch my sunpod because of shading and tissue loss on my acros. I just have to get a new hood now.

• 1 month later...
crazy tarzan

I just purchased a 29 gal bc today, it's used got a great deal on it. This post is awesome, and I'll be doing the led mod sometime in the future. But do you have any full tank shots with the led lights on the tank? Or did I miss them on one of the previous pages?

• 5 weeks later...

I'm really interested in this DIY. I want to do it and you have a good description and links to parts but I noticed you need special equipments for drilling holes in heatsink and the hood. Are there places where you can bring em and do it yourself or get someone to do it for you?

Also, I have 3 Moon LED lights from stock biocube hood and I also have another set from another hood I happen to have so that's total of 6 LED moon lights but only have AC adaptor for 3 of them. Do you know a way to get an AC adaptor for all 6 and is there room for those on your diagram?

I would only use three moon lights, that is what I am using and its quite bright. As for the holes a few people asked me and I know some of them ended up finding friends with drill presses or club members and others said they were able to find local machine shops where they could do it. Possibly some of them will chime in and share...

My reservations about hand drilling would be thats its going to be a lot harder than with a press, the holes will not be as perfect and it may make the tapping part of it harder. I had to drill a few replacement holes by hand after I broke a tap and it was not as easy as the press. Though my cordless drill is not that nice so maybe that plays into it.

I have a electric screw driver. I doubt that's gonna work for drilling the metal plate? Is that what you guys are talking about? The hand drill thing? Also, the stuff you listed under 29 biocube is the only things I need to buy? I guess I still need to find ways to cut the top somehow.

Just bought a new house and moved, so I've been at a stand still with this project.

But I'm about to get back in it. Someone previously linked to the poor mans drill press. Bought one at sears for like $20. I plan on trying this, but I'm not sure if the build quality of the "press" is exactly enough to drill with such small bits. I think the wobble in it may not work out. I'll have to see. Short of free-handing it with a cordless drill, I had thought about using a dremel. Secure the small drill bit in there and go to town. Light weight and fast. Plus you'll need the dremel to cut out the opening(s) on the hood.

Tell me how it works out. $20 is nothing int his hobby. Can't electric drivers have the same function as electric screw drivers if you put the sideways pizza cutter thing on the end to use it for cutting the hood? I'm not familiar with these things but want to become more handy.

Electric drills have considerably higher rpm than a screw driver. If you want to drill holes, get a drill. You can find decent rechargeable drills for pretty cheap now.

Electric drills have considerably higher rpm than a screw driver.
Exactly. And speed is what you need for anything other than screwing.

Yeah. That's right. I just said that. :D

• 2 months later...

Jerome- very sweet build. I have a BC29 and and doing a similar build.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

I bought the same size heat sink you did but didn't have heatsinkusa do the cutouts. Do you (or anyone with knowledge) know if I can cut using a jigsaw with a metal blade?

I see everyone breaking the taps in the heat sink. Can self-tapping screws be used instead?

TIA

Archived