Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Krispy's 10g Algae Farm

MrKrispy

I am very impressed by your tank! It looks great. I have been thinking about starting my own 10g tank (freshwater to saltwater conversion in my case). I am primarily interested in the way you have your lights mounted on th top of your tank. Where did you get the kit for that? It also looks like you have an open space in between your lights and the tank. Does that work well for a saltwater tank? Because I know you want to keep a freshwater tank covered. Thanks!

The mounting legs are an additional $6, they screw in to the frame and are adjustable lengthwise, but not vertically. I keep the tank uncovered, I use a fan over the surface for a few hours a day. No problems with it yet...

Krispy,

Just wondering if you did anything special to rid yourself of the hair algae? My tank is about four to five months old and its really starting to pile up. :-

-mike

I use the Polyfilters, either brand. My phosphates were very low for over a month now, that had to help. My trochus and nerites keep it from growing on the glass. UNfortunately I think the biggest help is now a bigger scourge. I got about 4 different types of macros growing in the tank, don't know where they came from. They outcompeted the hair algae most likely. Finally, I have a fuge going now with a ton of brillo macro, I am trying to pull out the tank macro and see if the brillo can keep it from regrowing. It never ends, argh!!!!

Oh, I have read on ReefCentral that the Phosguard stuff releases aluminum compounds, so I avoid it...

Very nice. Do you dose kalk? I found that hair algae and other such nuisance algae go away rapidly during the tank startup process if there is plenty of calcium and a high alk, as the coralline algae go crazy. A nice tank even with the algae. Keep at it, you'll have an awesome tank soon. :)

try this to get rid of all that hair algae:

1. More water movement. Get good circulation.

2. Raise your Ph. HR doesn't do so well and it's a plus for ur SPS.

3. Water Change.

4. Manual Termination. What a better way to release stress?

IMO - doing all this shouldn't be so hard for a nano

• 2 weeks later...

The macros were killing me. I pulled a ton out and threw in ANOTHER emerald crab (2 in a ten!) and 4 more scarlets.

Most bubble algae is gone, some of the macros are getting eaten, phosphates are still low. Just got my light going for the fuge, that should help.

Coralline will grow back. Dont worry. I too have a Godzilla sized cleaner shrimp. My gramma keeps nipping his antennae short every time he molts.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived