Coral Vue Hydros

Becact's 2.5g Pico Build!

becact

Tank looks sweet. I like the mod you did on your light fixture. I have the same one and it gets hella hott. Did you notice a difference in tank temp?

Yes, it helped a lot. I detailed in the thread how much the tank temp dropped after modding the light :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any updates?

I am also in the process of building a aio (a 5.5g tho). I bought an aqua light for it. However I think evil's led lamp is the way I will go.

Any suggestions on how you would do things differently? Or improvements that could be made on the design?

Mark

I broke down the tank. I just didn't want to maintain two tanks, plus I was not having much success with the pico. I don't know if I had too much or too little light (probably the former), but the zoas would all shrink up. The xenia and GSP did fine, though.

If I did it again, I would go with LEDs and an ATO. the LEDs would be on a dimmable buckpuck so that you could adjust the intensity if you found it was too high or too low, and the ATO for stability. The design itself worked great, as far as the rear chambers and such.

I'm thinking of using it as a coral QT tank, now.

Well that's good to know. I'm highly doubtfull that a fish will find it's way into my tank. Coral only is the only way I would run such a small tank.

I'm sorry to hear you dismantled this tank, but understand how taxing it is to keep 2 reef's running. It's a lot to remember.

Sorry to hear about breaking down the tank. thanks for sharing and love the design and pics. I hope you dont mind but Im gonna steal your plans cause someone just gave me a 2.4 aga and I would love to have a pico that looks like yours.

Hey, I have a quick question for you, mind me off if you don't feel like answering because it might be a little rude to ask, how much did you push out so far to create this whole set-up? Like a sum of how much everything together cost? And would I be able to get a tank like that already made (the overflow part that you DIY'ed because I'm horrible at DIY)

Thanks and amazing tank,

Anthony!!

Hey, I have a quick question for you, mind me off if you don't feel like answering because it might be a little rude to ask, how much did you push out so far to create this whole set-up? Like a sum of how much everything together cost? And would I be able to get a tank like that already made (the overflow part that you DIY'ed because I'm horrible at DIY)

Thanks and amazing tank,

Anthony!!

Well, maybe $10 for the tank, $50 for the light, and $20 for the pump, but everything else I had laying around the house. You may need to buy the sheet plastic, silicone, etc as well.

Have no idea where you can get this small of a tank pre built. Part of the fun of DIY is being the only person out there with a particular tank or item :)

I am debating selling this tank, though... It's broken down and just sitting in my garage. My main tank is full so I don't need a QT tank (what I was going to use it for). Make me an offer ;)

Archived