Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Becact's 2.5g Pico Build!

becact

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my light in today! It was running quite hot, so I modified it B). I cannibalized an old PC for it's CPU fan, and found a cell phone charger with matching voltage, so this project was free. I didn't think it was going to move much air, but there is actually quite a bit of air exiting from the fixture. If this doesn't cool it enough to leave the light on the tank like I have it now, I will build some risers to raise the fixture an inch or so off the glass.

pico4.jpg

pico5.jpg

pico6.jpg

Before I modified it, both of those side panels were solid plastic. I am letting it run for a few hours then I'll check the water temperature to see what happens.

Also, I did a water test last night:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

Phosphate: 0

pH: 7.8

My biocube pH started low too, then slowly raised to it's current 8.2. So I will wait to see what happens with this tank. But other than that the parameters look good! Still no evaporation of the original water volume.

I also added a tennis ball sized piece of chaeto in the back. Hopefully this will introduce some pods and take care of the nitrates.

Well, after being on for a few hours, the water temperature was 81. Before the light was on, it was 79.2, so that's about a 2 degree swing. Do you guys think these temps are fine? I'm used to my biocube always being at 79, since it's open top.

Well, after being on for a few hours, the water temperature was 81. Before the light was on, it was 79.2, so that's about a 2 degree swing. Do you guys think these temps are fine? I'm used to my biocube always being at 79, since it's open top.

Those temps seem fine to me. :)

My tank is just about 80 degrees during the day at its peak... and dips down to 78 or so at night. My apartment stays relatively cool though and not to mention the high today is still only going to be 55 degrees. :P

I woke up a few days ago, and the tank temp was about 76! So I found a 25 watt heater that fits in the pump chamber. After a few days with it, the temps are pretty stable. It goes down to 80 and maxes at 82. So I am pretty happy with that. I put the light up on some PVC lifters, too.

Did some more tests:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Phosphate: 0

pH: 8.2

I guess the chaeto is doing its job! Also, my tank is having it's diatom outbreak, which is a good thing. I will get a few snails for it in a few days. How many do you all think I need? I was thinking 3 astreas and a hermit should be enough. Too many?

pico7.jpg

Added an astrea from my BC14, a cerith, and a really cool black and white striped hermit. Also got a cool frag for $10!

New FTS:

Pico-3-26-09-3.jpg

Frag:

Pico-3-26-09-1.jpg

Hermit (I named him Beetlejuice due to his black and white stripes, can't really see them in the pic, though):

Pico-3-26-09-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the tank to a stable 79 degrees by removing the glass top. The light is still standing on those PVC risers (very close to the water), but I glued them to the tank. So I guess the fan mod is working.

No new stuff, I'm putting all my money into the 90g, but hopefully I will put a few frags in soon :)

What power head are you using for this project? Is it a rio 180 by any chance? If so, how strong is the current around your tank?

Do your chambers stay all at the same water level?

I am actually using a Rio 90, and it is plenty of current. Whenever I drop a pellet or piece of seaweed in there if whips around, and my zoas sway in the current, too.

The display keeps a constant water level, the back chambers lower in water level due to evap. This was part of the reason for going with the fuge.

I like the frag, tank is looking cool. I'm picturing a Yellow Clown Goby and shrimp combo chilling on the canopy rock!

FallenMonkey
I like the frag, tank is looking cool. I'm picturing a Yellow Clown Goby and shrimp combo chilling on the canopy rock!

Clown gobies don't pair with pistol shrimps.

airman_verde04

thanks for stopping by my tank design page the other day!! your Pico is epic! I love how you used whatever you could find! I could do something like that.. just using old supplies I find at work (thank you Air Force for waist lots and lots of money!) what light are you using again?

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I am using a coralife 2x18w PC fixture, Airman. They were (maybe still are) on sale at DFS for $35, so I couldn't resist.

I got a ricordea frag yesterday, I will try to get a pic tomorrow.

I am doing a 1/2 gallon water change every week, I hope that is enough! I feed the hermit pretty much by hand (with tweezers) because the pump blows the pellets away otherwise, lol. Evap is about a half cup per day, but worth it for the cooler temps. The pump has broken in to become pretty quiet, which I am happy about! The two snails are keeping up with the algae and are always on the move. I think they have enough to eat, though.

If the LFS gets a blue neon goby in ever, I am going to get one. Otherwise, no fish! I don't think the tank is big enough for a cleaner, and sexies are out (they are coral eaters).

A pic of the ric. Of course, like all ric pics, it looks a lot more vibrant in real life:

Pico-4-7-09-2.jpg

The rock its on has a bleached out LPS of some kind on the other side (can anyone ID?). It still has some color on it, maybe it will come back?

Pico-4-7-09-3.jpg

I think I may steal some frags from my biocube to add some more life in there today. I'll put some pics up if I do :)

FTS:

Pico-4-7-09-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
1337TANKHAX

That lps skeleton is what used to be an acan echinata. It won't grow back if it doesn't have any mouths.

• 3 months later...
very impressive DIY skills man :).... any updates?

Thank you!

The tank is still up and running but to tell you the truth I haven't been doing much with it. I think the light is too powerful because it causes zoas and rics to shrink. So far all I've found that work really well under the intense light is xenia and GSP, so there is not a beautiful coral garden in there like in some picos. I might try raising the light a few inches...

• 1 month later...

Hey Brian, What kind of heater are you using? We just set our Fluval Edge up, actually for freshwater, and I will be monitoring its temps, but Imagine it will end up needing a heater....how small is the one you have?

Tank looks sweet. I like the mod you did on your light fixture. I have the same one and it gets hella hott. Did you notice a difference in tank temp?

Archived