Innovative Marine Aquariums

If you had to pick a good shrimp...

brianm

I've never had problems with my cleaner stealing food from corals, but I always feed him first. He does enjoy stomping all over my corals, which pisses them off, but other than that he is fine.

Mine stole a chunk of scallop from my anemone yesterday... stood on top of it and chopped of a chunk for himself... I still like him though, a whole lot!

+1 for fire shrimp!

(cleaners are fun too. they're like hyper little kids)

I agree, my cleaner shrimp, which I just got last week, is all over the place! And when ever I take my camera and stick it in front of the glass, he swims over and just has to be in every shot. Diva. Anyway, he does like to gobble up my fish food before my fish can get to it.. I have to start spot feeding him first, he loves shrimp pellets. So far, I love him.

I had a pep shrimp once, loved him too. He ate food from my hand as well, but he was rather camera shy. Once I started getting corals, he starting picking on the zoas.. so I had to take him back :mellow:

I want sexies, but my lfs never has them in stock. They're popular and entertaining. Plus you can have lots of them. it's all up to personal choice, or whether or not you have a distinct purpose for the shrimp in your tank. I bought the original pep for apstasia clean up (which he did) and I bought the cleaner for fish ick clean up (which he might be doing.. not sure). Good luck!

pimp4cheddar
Shrimp are nothing but trouble in a reef..my 2 cents.

Please explain...I'm looking for a cleaner...but I don't want to pay $30 for one...

The place that sells them for $16 is always sold out...

masterbuilder
Please explain...I'm looking for a cleaner...

Ok...Most shrimp become over-active and very agressive pests. They will dig food right out of the insides of most corals and bother them to no end. Shrimp and crabs usually end up causing problems. When they are small they seem less of a problem...but...as they grow larger...nothing but reef pests at best and some become downright nghtmares. Every wonder why you seldom see shrimp in a Tank or the Month? (they have learned)

A Mantis is another creature all together and not much in common with cleaners/peppermint/etc. Belongs in a tank to itself.

However, shrimp are cool in tanks without many corals or fish only tanks.

Just my 2 cents

Mark

pimp4cheddar

Ah...makes sense MasterB

I guess I'll stick with the snails and crabs I have...The crabs are slowly killing each other. I wake up every now and then and find out I'm missing a crab...or find the arms and claws thrown around the tank.

I have a peppermint and MasterB posted an accurate description of it.

During feeding time for the Trumpet coral it steals as much food as it can hold and finds a hole so it can stuff himself, it doesn't eat much and then leaves the rest to rot. It's mostly a SPS tank and it doesn't bother them at all but if big chunks of food go to an LPS you can bet that shrimp will be on it.

I vote for a pistol shrimp/goby pair

Nano sapiens

Fire Shrimp are pricey, but cool. They do tend to be a bit more reserved than the other cleaners, but they are one beautiful shrimp!

To keep cleaner shrimp successfully in a reef tank just feed them first, then feed the fish/corals. After 4 months I have only seen my Fire Shrimp steal food from a coral's mouth once.

funkyfish77

I've had a blood shrimp for 7 or 8 months now and never had a prob with it stealing food from my corals

maybe with age it may get more aggressive but it spends more time chasing pods around than anything .

just my 2 cents

Deleted User 6

shrimp/goby pair or sexies. they'll cause you the least worry. My fire and pepp shrimps stole food from my corals and made feeding time a pain.

My pep is a thief also. I watched him wrestle food from a hermit crab last week, which was funny, but typical. It gets all over my leather to pick it clean of food. Yesterday I glued a new coral onto a rock, and the pep even came out to pick at the glue.

I bought him to take care of aptasia when the rock was new, but am considering catching him and sending him back.

erichatesmice

I love cleaner shrimp and have had them in the past but in a small nano tank I have a very hard time keeping shrimp away while I feed my coral. Feeding them in advance just adds to the bioload and doesn't really stop them from coming back later.

My old ones also took a liking to stomatella snails.

Peppermint Shrimp!!!

mine was pink when I got him but now he is blood red color

he has a lot of personality and is very active

does many funny things too

Archived