Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Atwater Kent Nano Aquarium

Tanque Verde

Tanque Verde

After nearly a year of scheming, compromising, and saving, I recently put this nano aquarium into operation. I call it the Atwater Kent Nano Aquarium because it sits upon a late 1920s or early 1930s radio cabinet. Inside the cabinet, behind sliding pocket doors, my sump fills the space where the radio use to be.

The equipment:

ADA 45p

70w Viper fitted with R2 Moonlight

Lifereef Nano Prefilter Box

Cadlights Nine-Gallon Sump

Octopus 110 with modified Gate Valve Mod

Eheim 3000+

Rena Smart Heater

Autotopoff.com ATO with Double-Switch Controller, Aqualifter, and custom reservoir (approximately 2 x 12 x 15")

Fuge light (scavenged from an old Aquapod 24 hood)

Nimble Super

Stock Wishlist:

Various zoanthids and palys

Hi-fin Red-Banded Goby and Red-Banded Pistol Shrimp

Crocea, perhaps?

Various macro algae

Various snails, esp. the nefarious nassarius and his friend the ceremonious cerith

And the pics:

FTS w/cabinet doors closed

P1010077.JPG

A peak behind the cabinet

P1010045.JPG

Homemade fuge light, mounted in a Target-brand utility drawer divider

P10100471.JPG

From the front, with cabinet doors open

P1010090.JPG

FTS, with live rock

P1010081.JPG

First stock, under moonlights

P1010129.JPG

Palys, with cerith

P1010144.JPG

This aquarium would not have been possible without the collective wisdom of Nano-Reef.com and the generosity of the southern Arizona reefkeeping community.

ooooohh... you're making me wish i hadn't been too cheap to go for black sand instead of used aragonite for my cube :(

any plans on upgrading the bulb? my stock viper bulb is just too white for me and i have no idea what i want to change it to.

Tanque Verde
yeah i couldn't find any astralux. i actually ended up ordering a ushio 20k from hellolights. the aqualine costs about as much as i paid for my viper!

Are you happy with your ushio? I've read mixed things. The Aqualine is expensive, no doubt, but if the corals don't sparkle, all else will have been for naught.

Are you happy with your ushio? I've read mixed things. The Aqualine is expensive, no doubt, but if the corals don't sparkle, all else will have been for naught.

i don't have it yet, i ordered it about an hour after my first post lol. but i'll let you know when i get it later this week.

• 1 month later...
Tanque Verde
lets get some updateS!

A fair demand, but unfortunately, not much has changed since my last round of pix.

Some miscellaneous items:

On the whole, the system seems to be working very well, which is a little surprising as this is my first tank with an overflow and external sump. I would not have expected my planning to have met with such little disaster.

My octopus skimmer is a quiet, dry-skimming machine. A nice change of pace from my loud, wet-skimming Remora.

Tahitian moon sand is beautiful but highly magnetic. Many thanks to CJerome for hooking me up with white scrubby pads on my Nimble or else I wouldn't see the sand and I'd be scratching my glass badly.

Because Tahitian Moon is dead sand, I bought a little cup of amphipods from a LFS. I regret this decision a bit as the pod population has exploded and I fear they are irritating my zoas. Ditto the flatworms that I imported from my frag tank. I don't wish to treat the latter chemically at this point. Hopefully my carnivorous goby (see below) will pursue them, but this may be wishful thinking.

I've got nice purple coralline growth beginning to happen. Unfortunately, the live rock I purchased from the LFS appears to have some aptasia. I am considering getting bergia nudibranchs. Between my three tanks, I have just enough aptasia that I might be able to sustain the nudibranchs for a time, and then pass them along.

I am experimenting with Coral Frenzy in all my tanks. The palys seem content, the zoas seem indifferent, and my neon clove polyps, which were on the brink of extinction, seem to love it and are making a come back.

I am not entirely happy with my 70w Viper with Ushio. I want brighter and more flourescent. I am contemplating 1) supplementing with powerbright actinics, 2) upgrading the ballast, 3) replacing the bulb with an XM 20K (less bright, but more blue). I am also keeping a close eye on Evil's oven.

I have a birthday coming up and I am hoping to use my birthday fundage to add a paired hi-fin red-banded goby and pistol shrimp. But I am also hoping that my birthday gifts might include a new frag tank, a new set of powerbright actinics, etc., and already I see that I am being greedy.

In any event, I expect big changes, if not to this tank then to others in the house, later this month.

Thanks for following along.

Archived