Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best (Bluest?) Bulb for Zoa Color in 70w Viper?

Tanque Verde

Tanque Verde

Which bulb, running in my 70w Viper with stock ballast, would bring out the most vibrant colors in my zoanthids? Generally speaking, blue in my bulb is just great (I love my 150w Phoenix 14k, but wouldn't mind an even bluer bulb) and dim will not be a problem in this shallow tank. Growth is not particularly important.

Astralux 14K?

Ushio 20K?

XM 20K?

Aqualine 20K?

Other?

(Incidentally, I have searched this extensively but I'd welcome additional feedback).

Thanks!

Astralux 14K gets to be white after a month or two. XM20K is a little more blue than the astralux, but not by much. Plus_rite 20K (ebay) sucks...don't waste your money.

XM20K is a lot bluer than the Astralux, but it is also much dimmer. I couldn't stand it personally

XM20K is a lot bluer than the Astralux, but it is also much dimmer. I couldn't stand it personally

+1 ... XM's regardless of wattage ... way too dim ... hated the look of it ...

Tanque Verde

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Basically, Astralux 14k is the favored 70w bulb on this board, but even that is not a consensus pic. And none of the 20k bulbs seem to have overwhelming support, although I haven't seen much on the Aqualine.

It is helpful to know that the XM is very blue, even if it is somewhat dim. My tank is only 1' deep, so it might work in the event that I can't get my hands on an Astralux (I fear I am shopping between group buys).

If you can justify the cost, the AB 14k is without a doubt the best bulb I have seen for 70W. My LFS set one up over the weekend and it looked perfect. Nice and bright, and a tiny bit bluer than the Astralux. I just wish it didn't cost so damn much.

Tanque Verde
If you can justify the cost, the AB 14k is without a doubt the best bulb I have seen for 70W. My LFS set one up over the weekend and it looked perfect. Nice and bright, and a tiny bit bluer than the Astralux. I just wish it didn't cost so damn much.

Thanks, Evil, that is exciting news. But can you please clarify: I've heard of the AB 10k (which is rumored to burn closer to 13k) and of the AB 20k, but I don't know and can't find the AB 14k. Is that new or was your LFS running one of the other ABs? Thanks again.

Maybe it was the 20K. It wasn't super blue, and was the closest thing I have seen to a Phoenix in 70W. I was honestly shocked.

Thanks, Evil, that is exciting news. But can you please clarify: I've heard of the AB 10k (which is rumored to burn closer to 13k) and of the AB 20k, but I don't know and can't find the AB 14k. Is that new or was your LFS running one of the other ABs? Thanks again.

the AB is a 13k bulb (says so right on the box). the bulb name is aqualine 10000 (also on the box) although I've heard years back it was marketed and labeled as a 10k bulb. its a high PAR bulb but not that blue. It is a pretty attractive white with a hint of blue becuase it has a large actinic spike. If you've ever seen a sunpod 14k bulb its very simular but performs much better. if your looking for a blue bulb that is NOT it. ushio 20k is bluer and more attactive but I'm not sure how PAR is in 70w form (its just fine in 150w form). If the XM20k is anything like the 150 and 250de versions it will be the bluest by far. ushio 20k would be inbetween the AB and XM as far as blueness.

ushio 20k (color enhancing but not overly blue). ignore the grey epoxy on the cap (it came off on its own eventually and I'm an idiot!).

30gallonsetup110.jpg

AB 13k (natural looking white)

April13thfishpic5.jpg

Tanque Verde
the AB is a 13k bulb (says so right on the box). the bulb name is aqualine 10000 (also on the box) although I've heard years back it was marketed and labeled as a 10k bulb. its a high PAR bulb but not that blue. It is a pretty attractive white with a hint of blue becuase it has a large actinic spike. If you've ever seen a sunpod 14k bulb its very simular but performs much better. if your looking for a blue bulb that is NOT it. ushio 20k is bluer and more attactive but I'm not sure how PAR is in 70w form (its just fine in 150w form). If the XM20k is anything like the 150 and 250de versions it will be the bluest by far. ushio 20k would be inbetween the AB and XM as far as blueness.

Thanks, Evilc66 and Stanlalee. I'd be perfectly content to replicate the effect of my Phoenix 14k, so it sounds like the AB 20k may be the way to go.

Tanque Verde
Based on Stanlalee's picture, it had to be the 20K. It had a definite blue tint.

thanks for the pix, stanlalee.

To the OP do you have a build thread I'm curious to see what a 1 inch deep tank looks like and how many gallons it is

You may have a link posted in your sig but I'm browsing from my phone right now so may have just missed it

Tanque Verde
To the OP do you have a build thread I'm curious to see what a 1 inch deep tank looks like and how many gallons it is

You may have a link posted in your sig but I'm browsing from my phone right now so may have just missed it

Sorry, tinctorus, that's one foot, not one inch.

i have a ushio 20k and i love it... its blue and it makes my corals pop in my 2.8g... i dont think i would even try a differnt bulb at this point

I run a 70 watt sunpod with the stock 14k bulb. I was unsure of the ushio 20 k and settled for the current bulb upon replacement. I am definetly going the ushio route next time. I have not seen an xm 70 watt bulb when I extensively searched for 70 watt replacement bulbs 3 months back. Glad I didn't find one now. According to the previous low par posts. Gl ! Keep us posted !

Tanque Verde
I run a 70 watt sunpod with the stock 14k bulb. I was unsure of the ushio 20 k and settled for the current bulb upon replacement. I am definetly going the ushio route next time. I have not seen an xm 70 watt bulb when I extensively searched for 70 watt replacement bulbs 3 months back. Glad I didn't find one now. According to the previous low par posts. Gl ! Keep us posted !

Thanks Matt and Smitty. I read that the Ushio 14K was too yellow for some tastes, so I'm glad to hear that the 20k works.

what would happen if you put a 150 watt bulb on a 70 watt ballast?

would the bulb even fire or would it just be underdriven?

I had an ushio 10k - and it sucked. Looked totally yellow. I might not have waited for it to break in, but my wife is impatient...:)

Then I got the Ushio 14k, definitely white, but didn't do anything for my corals.

Now I run the XM20k. I agree it's blue - definitely the most blue of the group. I debated on getting the AB instead at the time. I do supplement with 1 420nm PC and 1 10k PC, so that helps to brighten up the tank a bit.

what would happen if you put a 150 watt bulb on a 70 watt ballast?

would the bulb even fire or would it just be underdriven?

Probably wouldn't fire. The electrode gaps are different between the two wattages, and will require different voltages to create the arc.

Archived