Pod Your Reef

Gulf's AP24

gulfsurfer101

aw that stinks. but the tank sounds awesome! can't wait to see some pics. :) I want to build a sump too. I know how to set them up, but idk how to do the plumbing to the tank and stuff..... :P

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101
aw that stinks. but the tank sounds awesome! can't wait to see some pics. :) I want to build a sump too. I know how to set them up, but idk how to do the plumbing to the tank and stuff..... :P

I got the plumbing figured out and it's just a simpl diy duruso style pvc drain into the sump then a simple hose from my return to the tank. It should do the trick but I'm on my way out to the hardware shop to pick up lots more silicone because the stupid overflow box has a leak on the bottom corner that I can't seem to fix and that is NO BUENO for business. My 40 was so close to gettting some water this weekend but looks like it will have to wait another week which shouldn't be a problem. As far as the tank on this thread I am getting some nasty stuff going on in there that looks like long brown strands of hair that is really annoying to look at. I'm starting to wonder if it's because it is by a window and getting a very long lighting cycle since my lights don't kick on till around 4 and stay on till about 11pm.

gulfsurfer101

I decided to put the 40br project on hold since I might be making yet another move in about 2 months and don't want to move a big tank as soon as it's getting settled. I was having some aglea problems so I decided to move the tank away from the window it was near and also saw this as an opportunity to remove the sand that seem to be a detrius trap and possible cause of nitrates and other junk. I just kinda tossed everything back in there and said the hell with propper aquascaping today. Here it is after the new transformation. I have the black sand sitting in a deco tank with water and I'm not too shure what I'm going to do with it just yet.

24gbb001.jpg

Here is a frag of mohawks I'm selling to get some cash towards a T-5 retro for my future 40br. Look for the add on the classifieds.

24gbb004.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Thanks buddy, those things just seem to explode under high lighting. I also have a frag that I placed under direct lighting and have morphed bright gold. I'm going to let those grow out to see what becomes of them

gulfsurfer101

Yesssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, that is awsome to hear. I love when my stuff seems to rock in somebody's tank as much if not better than in my own tank. I was looking into my tank today and with the new bb scape I was looking at these zoas I have overlooked for a while now and was thinking on how purdy they looked today so I decided to get a pic up. I have no clue as to what the trendsetters call these things but I think they look phukkinnawshumm!

24gbb015.jpg

Lizzie1324

i have some too! not quite as bright, but close. I'm not sure what they are either, but I luv them!

looks good.

:)

gulfsurfer101
i have some too! not quite as bright, but close. I'm not sure what they are either, but I luv them!

looks good.

:)

Isn't tommorrow a shcool night for you, get to bed already sheesh! JK, I think the shcools here are shut down due to one kid coming down with that new flu. SUcks for him but I'm shure all the other kids are at home studying hard and what not. As far as the zoa pic I added yesterday I had them stuffed inbetween a few oter zoas that seemed to take the brightness out of them but alone they stand out like bamm. I like the way that rpe looks in your tank, what kind of lighting does your rsm have, I've never really looked in to them.
Lizzie1324

haha, yeah it was. that was after the FFA banquet so i got home late :P our district is stupid and won't close -_- but yeah. they look good. and my rsm has T5's. I have had bad luck with hard corals but I think it is my alk b/c I have been slacking on water changes... so hopefully I can fix that :P

gulfsurfer101
haha, yeah it was. that was after the FFA banquet so i got home late :P our district is stupid and won't close -_- but yeah. they look good. and my rsm has T5's. I have had bad luck with hard corals but I think it is my alk b/c I have been slacking on water changes... so hopefully I can fix that :P

Do water changes like religously. I top off everyday since my float switch burnt out while I had my 12gAP set up and have been to lazy to order a new one. I think I'll do that tommorrow. I do a 5g wc every sunday and I've kept some sps thriving on that alone. It seems that I have the most trouble when I try to dose instead of just doing wc's that seem to work fine. I tried to have glennr give me some pointers on dosing but most of it went right over my head. I'm going to try to get away with no dosing and see how it truns out.

gulfsurfer101

Latest fts

tankandvid001.jpg

I'm loving the bb scape and the water looks so much clearer and I've been expeirencing no kind of nasty dino or cyano outbrreaks as was the case just a few weeks ago.

gulfsurfer101

WTH, here are the pics I took earlier of the dendro before the lights went out.

kidsvidsNcoral017.jpg

kidsvidsNcoral015.jpg

kidsvidsNcoral016.jpg

kidsvidsNcoral013.jpg

I got rid of a lot of my less tolerable sps to help fund the 40br I've been putting together. I plan an adding lots of nice frags when I get that tank going.

djchristone

wow they look great in your tank!

sorry i couldn't post pics like that in the sell thread...i still have no idea how to get pics out of my storm after connected to my comp...-___- all those puffed out pics are on my storm too so blah -___-

but man they stick out! i like that placing! :)

gulfsurfer101

Thanks guys, I may have had a 300 dollar dilema though. My cpr overflow box seemed to have failed for some reason when I heard water overflowing onto my hardwood floors. After I got everything under control I noticed that my vortec driver had gotten a little bit of water in it. After I got it dried up and and plugged back in I'm just getting a red light come on. I will give it a day or so to completely dry out before I come to any conclusions. I've gotten water in the driver before and it took about three days for it to become operational again.

Lizzie1324

Looking good! yeah, As soon as things calm down with school and stuff like finals, I will be better about it. right now it is just random... :P

I have a couple frags! I have some of the reddish pink ones I got and I have one of my teal ones if you are interested.

Lizzie1324

I lied, I sold my frags on marshreef :P But it won't be long before I have some more for trade. the monti never made it, even after some water changes :/ But everything else is doing good and making babies :)

• 3 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

making babies :)

Interesting,lol. I've been kinda busy at work lately and things kind of got a little sour with the tank after a little weekend vacation and I lost a couple of things. Sucks but Everything looks like it has started to settle back down.

haha yeah, I think there were like 8 or 10 polyps on the mohawks when I got them and now there are at least 20! and the RPE has one new baby. And the shrooms are getting bigger all the time :) What all did you lose?

gulfsurfer101

Some of the new dendro heads haven't opened back up and a few sps frags were toast and some of my monti's were looking a little pale but things have started to look good again now that I'm back on it after my little summer vacation. I've been cutting back on my reefing since I'll most likely be moving again shortly. I'll probably just set up the 40 at the new place since it is pretty much ready to go.

• 4 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

I stopped by a new place that's fixing to open up in my area today and was blown away by how everything was set up and running. I was able to pick up some really nice frags for some really low prices. I picked up a sweet 5-7 headed frag of purple acans for 30 bucks and a blue tipped tenius acropora about 2.5" tall for just 25 bucks. I can,t wait till this place is opened up next week because I can see my self throwing a whole paycheck in there and running out of room in my tank over the weekend with prices like this. I'll try to get some pics of the new stuff later on.

gulfsurfer101

Big break today. The dendro I picked up last month for a hefty price of 125 bucks I thought was toast after my 5 day camp trip disaster from hell is started to make a come back. All the big heads melted away but left part of the flesh behind and I thought about throwing them out and haven't bought anything for the tank since and almost gave up reefing due to the travesty. Well I got the itch this weekend when I stopped by the best place I've ever been to buy coral when I picked up a nice chunk of acans and a nicely colored sps frag so I was looking into my tank today after work,(been a while scince I've done that) when I notice at least 20 new baby heads sprouting out of those presumed dead heads where the flesh had stayed behind. If I can baby them into full grown heads I'll end up with twice as many heads that I originally bought. This makes me very happy to see life making a comback of what I had very little hope in. Also looking at trading out the slow drip for a diy ato very soon before my next trip the middle of next month.

gulfsurfer101

I decided to rethink the ten gallon sump for this tank today from a split sump fuge to a three chamber sump which should add more room to do some macro since I have pumps in both chambers now from my skimmer and return pump and K-nano in return chamber that I don't want to risk cogging with cheato. With the latest build I should be able to add cheato to the in intake section of the sump, the water would flow into the larger middle chamber that would house my turboflotor blue100 pimpazzkimmer, then overflow into the return section of the sump. I might add another baffle in there on the return side to act as a bubble catcher. I decided to start paying more attention to this tank now after deciding to not go with the 40br after all.

gulfsurfer101

I did a leak test on my new ten gallon sump today after work and everything held. It was a bit risky since it has only had 24hrs to cure but it was extremely hot today here, (107 heat index) and it prooved successful. I will let it bake out in the sun for a few more days till this sundays wc then just swap them out then. I also finally found the usb cable to import photo's from my digi so I will be getting pics of that up whenever the camera is fully charged along with some pics of the latest addition of my new acan and sps frag. I plan on stocking some more stuff this weekend also if I can get away with sneaking some new stuff in the tank without the wifey knowing. Some spending money to go to with my mom and sister for an out of town shopping weekend should take care of that though.

Archived