Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ryan's 4.45 gallon acrylic AIO pico

Ryan_H

Nice little tank! I like the 14k phoenix better as well.

thanks!

yeah, i REALLY wish phoenix made a 70w 14k. the ushio is better than the stock bulb from the viper, but it pains me to think i paid $50 for a tiny light bulb that i don't really like and the only other option is a $90 light bulb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks!

yeah, i REALLY wish phoenix made a 70w 14k. the ushio is better than the stock bulb from the viper, but it pains me to think i paid $50 for a tiny light bulb that i don't really like and the only other option is a $90 light bulb.

I would get the 70w current usa bulb. It's a perfect mix.

I would get the 70w current usa bulb. It's a perfect mix.

yeah i should have just ordered that from work. could have gotten it for $35 and gotten better results :rant:

• 4 weeks later...

So i've added a few more corals recently--some red mushrooms, gold zoanthids, dragon's breath favia, mint green pipe organ, and a mystery blue branching LPS that some guy dropped off at my store because his high nitrates were killing it. let me know if anyone has any ideas on the ID.

The other day my store got in some sexy shrimp and a tiny candy pistol as a special order for a guy, and he flaked out and said he didn't want them. they were too tiny to release in our systems and would be a definite loss if we did, so my boss told me i could have them! so now i have 3 tiny (about the same size as a big 'pod) sexy shrimp and an equally sized candy pistol roaming the tank.

one of the sexies:

downsized_0503091955b-1.jpg

Dragon's Breath Favia:

downsized_0503091955a.jpg

Mint Green Pipe Organ

0503091959_0001.jpg

Mystery LPS

downsized_0503091955.jpg

Red Shrooms

0503091958.jpg

FTS

downsized_0503091957a.jpg

Woo hoo! looks great! another cool thread I missed <_<

why thank you :)

I am now sitting here about to leave work debating whether or not i want to take the flower anemone that is starting to turn red and put it in my tank.

• 2 weeks later...

added the flower nem, and the sexies love it :)

downsized_0512091635.jpg

also replaced the ushio with a current 14k. to my disappointment, it's not any bluer. actually it's a little whiter. BUT the colors seem to pop a little more and it seems a lot brighter, so i guess i don't mind too much.

awesome pico!

now if only i didn't have to wait til next pay period to bring home some more ricordea :P

• 1 month later...

Time for an update!

Unfortunately, my sexies liked their flower nem a little TOO much, as in they decided that it was kind of tasty :eek:. despite daily feedings of spectrum grow pellets, which the shrimp were gorging on, they still picked at the anemone. i finally had to move him to another tank. My yellow ric, which i had moved to accomodate the new flower nem, disappeared on me shortly afterwords as well. the fish are still doing awesome and are potbellied from pods and spectrum pellets. the zoas have been growing pretty well. i'm tired of stressing over the acrylic every time i need to clean the tank, however, and i ordered a nano cube 6, tank only, from nanotuners to "upgrade" the tank. it should be here thursday. i'm also switching the sand to the carib sea indo-pacific black, which is the black and white aragonite mixture, when i upgrade the tank. i'll be adding a koralia nano as well, because i'm still not thrilled with the flow in this tank, much less with the pump on the NC6.

i also have a new addition. sort of a rescue, or at least an attempted rescue. we ordered some various pipe fish at the store, and this little guy came in WAY smaller than we had planned or could accommodate in our systems. so instead of releasing him to certain doom in the tanks at work, i took him home so he can have somewhat of a shot in my pod-infested little tank.

African blue striped pipe fish, with a penny for size reference (penny is beneath the cup, NOT in it!)

0630092039_0001.jpg

by the time he grows up i should have my 58 gallon established and waiting for him.

maybe the little pipe stands a better chance than i thought, he's been in the tank for about 5 minutes now since i finished acclimating him and he's already pecking pods off the front glass :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey brotha, i just found this thread from someone who linked me. I realize you have a problem with the overflow not being able to handle more water.... i do apoligize for this and i would like to correct the problem. In order to do this i would need for you to modify your overflow a bit and i will send you a new piece with the teeth in this style:

IMG_4196.jpg

these are about 1/2" so just 3-5 of these will do the job probably just 3 lol. Again Im sorry about that, and i wish you would have contacted me....

Only thing you would need to do is take a dremel or some type of cutting tool to remove the teeth in the middle and I will send you a new piece along with some weldon, and an applicator bottle to install your new overflow.

let me know bud, by the way the tank is looking great!!! I was trying to breed the blue stripes for a while and i was able to get 1 of them to eat kept it alive for about 3 weeks, and then it just disappeared on me :(

Thanks.

Hey brotha, i just found this thread from someone who linked me. I realize you have a problem with the overflow not being able to handle more water.... i do apoligize for this and i would like to correct the problem. In order to do this i would need for you to modify your overflow a bit and i will send you a new piece with the teeth in this style:

IMG_4196.jpg

these are about 1/2" so just 3-5 of these will do the job probably just 3 lol. Again Im sorry about that, and i wish you would have contacted me....

Only thing you would need to do is take a dremel or some type of cutting tool to remove the teeth in the middle and I will send you a new piece along with some weldon, and an applicator bottle to install your new overflow.

let me know bud, by the way the tank is looking great!!! I was trying to breed the blue stripes for a while and i was able to get 1 of them to eat kept it alive for about 3 weeks, and then it just disappeared on me :(

Thanks.

thanks for the offer but i ended up "upgrading" the tank to a 6 gallon nano-cube after too many close calls with scratching the acrylic and sold it to a local reefer looking to keep dwarf seahorses in it, so flow shouldn't be an issue for them. and i would of contacted you but i got a good deal on the tank and you were fighting in the desert, so it really wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things :).

Gotcha, i just wanted to make sure you were happy brotha thats all.... I want to stride for good customer service and quality work ;).

Thanks again and if you ever need anything hit me up i will hook you up :)

Archived