Pod Your Reef

Ryan's 4.45 gallon acrylic AIO pico

Ryan_H

so i just ordered the premium top-it-off kit and an aqualifter from premium aquatics to combat my ridiculous evap. that will be nice since my fan should be coming in tomorrow or tuesday, so evap will get even worse.

i also tested everything, and NH4 and NO2 are 0, with NO3 at 5 ppm, so i added chaeto to the back chamber and turned on my fuge lighting. the rock has been sitting in a tub and fully cured at work for 3 weeks, so i didn't expect much of a cycle. i still have 0 algae though. i'll give it a few more days and add a couple of corals and see how they do.

our wholesaler has spikefin gobies on their list right now too. after talking to a couple people that have them though, i'm going to wait until my tank is several more months matured. they seem to thrive on pods and frozen food, and not so much on the pelleted diet that i stick to. but i'll be busy tracking down cool corals for a while anyway :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

went ahead and ordered a ushio 20k from hellolights.

also noticed a cool stomatella cruising around my tank :)

Wow, that fan is making a huge difference. with the way I have it situated, it's blowing directly on the fixture. the fixture itself is cool enough, after 6 hours, to touch without 5th degree burns (unlike before) and the tank temp is holding at a steady 78--my heater's set at 77.

Just got my new Ushio 20K this morning and it's fired up. As of now i'm not really impressed with it. My phoenix 14K is much bluer, and this 20K is only about 25% bluer than the stock JBJ bulb. Maybe it just has to break in?

I also added some livestock. I got 2 TINY trimma gobies from work, because some guy special ordered them and then changed his mind. They were too tiny to go in any of our systems, so it was certain death/disappearance or my tank. they have been doing excellently, and have already fattened up on the pods all over the tank in just a day. I've also added a couple of small frags from my other tank, some eagle eyes, dragon eyes (they've been pissed for a couple weeks in my other tank, and still are at the moment), orange nipples, and alien eyes (not colored up atm).

pichers!

007.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

hmm, after looking through the gobies at live aquaria, it appears my wholesaler is retarded and what they labled as "trimma gobies" are actually gold neon eviota gobies.

• 2 weeks later...

I added an aquahub auto topoff last week, and I think I have found my new favorite gadget. This tank has a very small pump chamber, and I was having to topoff every other time i looked at the tank lol. here it is installed. I had to be creative with the float switch configuration due to lack of space. the airline tubing next to the switch on the right is the feed from the aqualifter.

007-1.jpg

The gobies are doing AWESOME, and have grown so ridiculously fat on pods i can't believe the front and sides of the tank are still covered with them. i have not put any food in the tank for these guys and they have doubled in thickness in the past week on pods alone.

I tossed in 4 nassarius snails to keep the sand stirred up, and 5 nerite snails for algae control.

I added some more corals, a yellow and a blue ricordea. both have multiple neon green mouths, and despite their color put off some serious glow under the lunar light. i'll get pictures of that later tonight.

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

FTS:

005.jpg

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

here at work a customer dropped off a frag of armor of god zoas for me!

i love this job. pics after work tonight.

ME WANT SEE AOG! I have a light pink variant.

Soon. Only one polyp is open right now, the other 5 are thinking about it. My lights shut off in a couple hours, so hopefully they'll open by then and i can snag a picture.

Pico is megapimp. Good work.

I also snagged a couple of riddler palys off of a big colony we've had in the store for a while, and despite being mostly crushed during removal they've already opened. i'll grab pictures of those too.

well, this terrible picture is the best i can do right now. my camera batteries died and i have to get the charger back from my gf.

011-1.jpg

here are the night shots of the new ricordeas i promised

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Dude those are awesome man.

thanks man.

i walked into work today and my boss was like "hey, come check out what you get to take home". the customer has been telling me he was going to bring these to me for like 6 months lol. i had to tell people all day that they weren't for sale :P

this is true. i keep surfing my local reef club for good deals, but the regulars always snap them up before i finish counting my cash to see if i can afford the extra expense lol.

I feel you on that, Ive been spending a lot of money lately but Im stoked about the tank. I think Ive spent my whole tax return so far.

oh i would have a few hundred to blow but i'm trying to save up for an engagement ring. i actually feel guilty that i've spent the money i have on the tank so far.

Congrats on the upcoming engagement, stop spending money on the tank and get her a nice rock so shell let you spend money on the tank when your hitched. Gotta think about these things lol.

haha i'm trying but this hobby is like crack.

i've got a bunch of old equipment in the basement that i'm going to clean up once it warms up a little more and sell on craigslist, so that should offset the costs of this thing.

Archived