Pod Your Reef

5.5 Pacific Coast coldwater tank

horusmachine

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL, I was in Carmel in August. I did some tidepooling at San Gregorio State Beach.

Cool! That area is my stomping ground. I am up and down that coast at least 2 times a month. I was there last week, but there was no low tide due to a storm. Instead extreme high tides carving up the beaches

and ripping up sea palms. Still the protected harbor at Pillar Point is a great place to see strawberry anenomes and metridiums. Funny thing too all the small boats tied up at the docks were all capsized due to rain. That way you can see the undersides of their hull which are covered with barnicles, sponges, tunicates and strawberries. Quite a site to see.

H

• 1 month later...
horusmachine

Thought I would post a pic of one of my beadlets. This particular one creeped up to the edge

of my tank which has direct flow from the AQ 30. I believe it enjoys the surface disruption

of the water. It also usually gets fed first and the most.

H

strippedbeadlet2.jpg

Neat pic! One of my nems likes hanging out near the surface, the foot isn't out of the water though haha.

horusmachine

Yes it looks like the foot is out of the water

but it is actually covered underwater. I keep

my water level to the very top. One of my

waratah anenomes did the same thing and was

well fed also. It has become shy lately and hides

behind a rock.

H.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow awesome tank! Your seriously making me miss my hometown of Monterey, CA. Moved to this desert a few years ago. :( at least I still have sand. . .

horusmachine
Wow awesome tank! Your seriously making me miss my hometown of Monterey, CA. Moved to this desert a few years ago. :( at least I still have sand. . .

Thanks. Monterey is a beautiful place. You a lucky to have lived there for a period of time.

I go every other month just to see the seascapes and tidepools.

H

Ya it was pretty awesome growing up their I must say lol. Loved the water from an early age. So what brand of chiller do you have and how is it working out for you?

horusmachine
Ya it was pretty awesome growing up their I must say lol. Loved the water from an early age. So what brand of chiller do you have and how is it working out for you?

I am using a Pacific Coast Imports CL Mini 1\13 HP. It works well for my 5.5 Gal tank. Keeps the temp

at a constant 52 degrees. Before that I used 2 Coolworks Iceprobes mounted from the top to chill my

tank. That work well only during the cooler months. Summer was a little too much heat for the dual Iceprobe

system. Lots of temp fluctuations with the dual Iceprobe system, but it chilled my tank for a year.

H

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
horusmachine

Hi all, It has been a while since I posted.

Summer vacation and all have keep me away

for a bit. I have new updates coming in the

future, so stay tuned. I will be getting some

new Beadlet anenomes soon. I will post picss

when I receive them.

H

Horus

Great tank!!!

I have a 180 sps tank, but I have always wanted to set up a small cold water tank with a bunch of nems & a couple Catalina gobies. Two things have stopped me, one was I didn't want to get another chiller just for a 5gal tank. Well I'm in the process of setting up a 30 non photosynthetic tank that will slowly circulate water from sps tank through the nps tank. This nps tank will need a chiller. It just hit me that I could circulate the chilled water from from the sps tank through a small cold water tank at 60 or so & let it overflow into the 30gal nps tank which needs to be about 72-74. I think if I got the flow right one chiller might do both tanks.

Which brings me to the other problem. I live in Tennessee, so collecting is not in the cards for me. I saw the email ad. for nems from the UK you posted & was wondering if you or any one else knew any place else cold water live stock could be ordered?

Have really enjoyed your thread.

thanks Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Updates?

Sorry for the delay, but I have stumbled on to

a little misfortune. First I drop my camera into the water

while kayaking. Then a few weeks ago my computer died.

That is way I have not updated lately. I have say though

that a lot interesting things have happened in my tank in the

last weeks. I can write about that, but no pictures and sloppy

typing using my iPod touch. Stay tuned lol

H

Archived