Top Shelf Aquatics

Ebay Buyers be warned! My purchase from Chris Little explained!

Acoustic

Okay so I bid on and win this auction-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2345629663

I then received my purchase on 09-29-2003. The purchase was shipped via UPS ground in a new box from Staples. I open the box and find that the hood was shipped in crumpled up printer paper that was only packed on the left and right side of it. Not on the top and bottom. So I remove the hood from the box and find it to be completely fallen apart! To my utter disbelief Mr. Little actually shipped the hood with the BULBS STILL IN THE HOOD! Needless to say they were shattered beyond recognition!

I was a little upset because of the way he packed the item. But I figure no big deal. I then cleaned and put the hood back together.

So on 09-29-2003 @ 9:59 PM I sent this email to Mr. Little:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I received my light hood today. The bulbs inside were completely broken. I need them replaced. If you could order (1) one 28 watt sqaure pin 10,000k and (1) one 28 watt acintic03 from HelloLights.com and have them shipped to my address:

-Edited for Confidentiality-

Here's the order in question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2345629663

Please let me know what you plan to do ASAP.

Thanks in advance,

Investigator1@cox.net

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So after 72 hours I still have not received a reply from Mr. Little!

So on 10-02-2003 at 12:00 am I sent this email:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to your lack of response within 72 hours of initial contact. I have been forced to take more action. I have now filed a complaint with UPS. I did pay for insurance. I will also contact PayPal and Ebay of this matter is not resolved in another 72 hours.

-Investigator1@cox.net

It is now 10-04-2003 and I still have not received ANY form of contact from Mr. Little. On 10-05-2003 if I have not received any type of contact from UPS or Mr. Little I will file a complaint with PAYPAL and Ebay!

Be warned.......I will post updates. :rant:

Side note- I am a real investigator so I am very informed on how to deal with this type of situation.

One ?. Why did you not mention the poor packaging and ask why the bulb was not wrapped seperately in the first email? I just figure if I was the one who had shipped that and I got an email like yours that I'd wanna hear your reasons. Seems like it would bea good thing to add especially if these emails end up being forwarded to paypal, ebay, and UPS.

Cameron

bad times man, i hope you get this straightened out =

i've boxed and shipped over 50 jbj's now and for anyone reading this who is planning on shipping their lights to a buyer, i strongly suggest you package the bulbs separate (outside) from the hood. i usually strap the bulbs, in their boxes together and roll it in bubble wrap as a coushion. if the hood is heavy (2'-4' hoods get bulky) you're going to either want to create some sort of exoskeleton for the bulbs (cardboard bent in thirds to form a triangle tube) to redistribute the weight if the hood ends up on top of the bulbs, or, (for instance in the case of straight 96w tubes) ship them separate. in my opnion, these extra precautions should be taken (and paid for) by the seller for the sellers sake. spending 10 more minutes with the utility knife and some tape and maybe a buck or two surely outweighs having to reimburse for broken goods!

acoustic, as for your replacements, i think you should only request the same product you purchased - two custom sealife 28w 10000k pc tubes. or to be reimbursed for this at the cost+shipping of a dealer (marinedepot for example) of your choosing.

however, i'm interested to hear what chrisaggie has to say about this. moreover, i do not think you should have posted this thread in to the public without having heard what he has to say first. i would have given him at least a week

::shrug::

again, good luck

Same guy, ex friend, lives across the street. He knows better. Long story about the ex-friend part, and neither here nor there. Though I have tons of personal reasons why i dislike the guy, I have to also say that he tries to be stand up about his affairs. I do know he goes away alot camping, fishing, etc, so he may just be out of town.

If you don't get resolve soon, let me know.

Thanks and very sorry for your/his less than stellar transaction.

Peace, Bryan

'koos... By no means am I an investigator but I've operated a number of business websites and have bought and sold on eBay hundreds of times. Even ran a part time biz on eBay for a while. I read the ad/listing and nowhere is their a guarantee - implied or otherwise.

Insurance was an optional $2.00 and if you did pick up the insurance than that is where your claim will ultimately fall.

chrisaggie may have been guilty of not fully padding the lights and hood as it's arrival proved... But then again it is between the buyer/seller on eBay to come to an agreement on the complete transaction itself. Payment methods, communications, feedback, shipping methods, etc.

There wasn't any indication of how things were to be packed or not. Just a description, payment methods and optional insurance if the buyer wanted it. Pretty straight forward. Were the packing methods to be predetermined? Possibly chris believed the lights to be packed adequately? Who knows right?

I've received packages which were damn near bulletproof, to where the handlers HAD to go out of their way to bust up the box. Almost a challenge to them I think! LOL

Go after the shippers since you have insurance. Leave negative feedback if you believe it's deserved. Or perhaps chris will front you the cash for new bulbs. But if you took insurance, I as shipper, would send you there.

n00b's should chalk this up to a lesson of doing business on eBay, and not with reputable online businesses with guarantees.

Sucks to be you 'koos! Hope it works out. $80+ is a lot to pay for damaged goods... And not even you should be treated that way 'koos! ;)

P.S. Don't be a stranger! Swing by JCT once in awhile!

Originally posted by SeaMountain

ran a part time biz on eBay for a while.  

ebanned and ebay aren't the same thing Sea. stop confusing them

I am shipping a Coralife 2x96 watt fixture soon. The bulbs came standard in the Fixutre. There were no boxes for the bulbs. Would Ample Bubble Wrap suffice, or what would work best. I really am not into creating a mess for the Buyer.

Jahk, I bought a supernova retrofit from someone here on NR and they wrapped the bulbs separatly in quite a bit of bubble wrap. In fact all of the pieces were wrapped snugly in bubble wrap. Everything arrived perfectly fine. Just be sure you get a big enough box so you can stuff those packing peanuts in between each component of the fixture.

Hey Acousticdidn't you know it was Chris Aggie from the name "chrisaggie01"? What kind of investigator are you? Are you a police detective or are you like Spanky and Alfalfa in the all seeing eye club?

Originally posted by LiQuiD

Hey Acousticdidn't you know it was Chris Aggie from the name "chrisaggie01"?  What kind of investigator are you?  Are you a police detective or are you like Spanky and Alfalfa in the all seeing eye club?

"Damn!!! The All Seeing Eye Club!!!", Sea mutters as he grasps for paper towels to mop up coffee spilled on the keyboards!

The only thing that would make that reference funnier is if LiQuiD was referring to the ORIGINAL black & white episodes and not the movie. Our Gang has GOTS to be the classic of all time with the Bowery Boys a very close second!

Update-

I finally got a response from Chris Little after I filed with PayPal. He assures me that UPS will take care of it since I did pay for insurance and has filed the paperwork.

Originally posted by Crakeur

chris little is chris aggie?

I got some sweet zoos from him.  not a problem at all in that order.

Me too.

I Hope this gets straightened out, I would be ticked to.

It's been 15 days and the matter is still not resolved. My constant emails were ignored until PAYPAL was contacted. Mr. Little stated in his last email that UPS was going to take care of it and that all he had to do was send in a paper. That was 7 days ago. I am ####ed!

:::yawn:::

My transactions went very well with Chris and his chartreuse & sunburst zoos. I'd deal with him again without a second thought.

This announcement has been paid for by the Reefers For Chris Aggie Fund, and is in no way associated with The World Is Against Me Coalition or the Raelian Revolution. Any similarities to this being a true account of the transaction between 'koos and chrisaggie is purely coincidental. You will now be returned to the 'Koos For Cool Guy sponsors.

Originally posted by Acoustic

Thanks but I can't! I am super banned at ReefCentral! My opinions and personality are not wanted there.

What's caja say?.... "This is too easy!!!"

Sounds like you might want to turn those investigative powers around 'koos, and attempt a bit of introspection there PI Guy.

For the record here's what happened:

A thread was made in regards to some guys skimmer making to much noise in his living room. He stated that his wife was complaining about the noise. I replied about 2 weeks after thread creation and told him to step up to his wife and tell her to deal with it. (In jest of course) Well, I guess in that 2 week period this guys wife DIED! I didn't know. I never saw a thread or post in regards to that. So the Mod who saw that and knows the guys got all ####ed at me and banned me forever. I don't feel that it was my fault.

Originally posted by Acoustic

I don't feel that it was my fault.

Ever think most of the fault lies within your own cognitive reasoning process?!?!

Hey know what?!?! I bet nothing in your World ever is your fault 'koos... At least not in your version of it. But thanks for straightening out the "record". We were all wrought and worried about it.

Archived