ReefCleaners.org

starting out and want some advice

reefgrl4U

hi all, I'm just about ready to set up my tank:bling: and I don't want to make any silly mistakes so I wanted to ask a few questions.

I have searched and found some answers but some of these I was overwhelmed with and thought it might be easier to ask the experts :ermm:

I'm an idiot, I almost forgot the most important stuff :nerd:

7 gallon aga bowfront

12 pounds live rock

2-3 inches of sand. someone is going to give me a scoop of live sand to go with the southdown (not sure what it is but he said it was ideal)

hang on back filter with no spongy things in it.

a small powerhead for circulation

heater

lighting. well here is where I am a bit stuck. I want to keep all kinds of corals and not be limited because of my lights. I also know that I won't be ready for the prettier and harder corals for a while but I don't want to spend more money upgrading later. I will probably get either a small metal halide hood (70 watt?) or some powercompacts that are very bright.

ok, question time???

1. I was planning on putting two fish in there. I know that it means more bio load (still not sure what that means either) but I will do water changes every week. I want to get one clown fish or a goby (they are so cute) and I wasn't sure what the second fish should be. so, any suggestions?

2. is there a site anywhere that gives a rough idea for how many clean up crew animals per gallon? those kits are so big and I don't want to buy stuff and kill it.

3. how do I know what hitchhikers are good and what ones are bad? when I put the rock in the tank I want to try and get the baddies off before it becomes too difficult.

4. um, I'm a bit embarrassed here. cleaning question. I read all about doing water changes but how do you actually change the water? is it just taking some out and replacing it with new water or is there some kind of technique that must be followed?

that really covers it for now. I'm sort of nervous about starting this but I think it shouldn't be too hard if I take it slow:*(

slow and steady is always best, right?

also, I've checked out the picture thread and all I can say is we have some good looking guys here (ladies too). I'll be posting my pic as soon as possible (I'm not too bad to look at).

thanks for all your help

reefgrl4U;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. clown and a neon goby are fine choices

2. 1-blue legged hermit per gallon, 1-astrae snail per 2~3 gal.

3. good/bad hitchhikers depend on what else is in the tank, so the answer is 'it depends'

4. you can use air tubing to actually vacuum up stuff and thus slowly take out the water (my pref) or just scoop it up with a cu or measuring cup (there are lots of basic essential items, others chime in pls)

woo hoo, i'm first this time! :D

>>I don't want to spend more money upgrading later<<

Good thinking! yeah it sucks upgrading things over and over. Definitely buy the best you can from the start.

looks like tiny covered everything else......

hmmmmm looks like were all here again hahaha

nano-reef.com, where being small is necessary.

::sniff:: s'ok, i should've been covering my sac anyway when approaching that fast. good lesson.

::groan::

Bio-Load = ######

The small metal Halide would totally kick azz, but I think that might be too much evap for you (no offense, but you might forget, and sg would go through the roof) some people lose 1gal a day! what if you are gone all day and night, fill it up in the morning before you leave, then come back and water is way low...

it happens all the time to newbies...

***THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVISE ANYONE COULD GIVE YOU***

when you top off water (put in more water to compensate for the 'missing' water) use FRESH RO/DI water... dont put more salt water back in, I cant stress how many Noobies make that mistake, because your Salt in the water is to heavy to evaporate...

Good Luck

B)

no need to cover up tiny, I don't bite, unless you want me to:blush:

thank you again for the advice.

Desk Jockey (hmm, I picture a short guy in a green and white satin hat smacking his desk with a riding crop) I was told by a friend that I will end up upgrading anyway so why not do it now? If I am going to upgrade later, I want it to be a bigger tank, hopefully a second.

thanks phish. I know about the evaporation issue. my friend warned me that a small tank has bigger issues with it. I am home all day and I work nights and I never ever travel so I am not too worried about not being able to fill up the tank. If I do travel, one of my roommates can add water for me. We are all getting into the hobby together (one tank for the three of us - cheaper way to start).

we have a nice tank at the club we work at and we wanted to try and get that same look at home too.

>>I picture a short guy in a green and white satin hat smacking his desk with a riding crop<<

I am sooooooo glad thats not me.....

A larger tank later would be nice and everyone would like to make that upgrade, its just the mundane upgrades that will drive you nuts.

BTW, sorry not into riding crops....handcuffs are okay though

Don't start your tank with tap water and never use tap water for top-offs or water changes. You've got several options- most LFS' sell saltwater ro RO/DI water so you can mix your own, or buy distilled water from the supermarket, may want to check to make sure there's no copper in it, or third, buy a RO/DI unit. Tap water will most likely lead to algae down the road.

desk jockey you're too funny.

not into riding crops eh? too bad.

where do you fellas do most of your equipment shopping? I have been getting most of my stuff locally but there are a few odds and ends that I might need to order online.

also, I keep reading about aiptasia in the different threads. are they hard to identify on the rock. it seems to me that they are a pretty distinctive looking animal but there are sooo many people here that seem to have a hard time identifying them.

>>also, I keep reading about aiptasia in the different threads. are they hard to identify on the rock. it seems to me that they are a pretty distinctive looking animal but there are sooo many people here that seem to have a hard time identifying them.<<

We have ALL been wondering the same thing

Archived