Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can you OVER SKIM?

pimp4cheddar

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point taken TIKE

however, I'm now in a bind...I need a skimmer/filter soon...

I have no filtration in my tank except for the Live Rock/Live Sand...

I just don't have money to spend on a skimmer...and then decide I don't like the skimmer so go buy another...thus the reason I'm asking so many questions...

I just trying to find the right buy.

Point taken TIKE

however, I'm now in a bind...I need a skimmer/filter soon...

I have no filtration in my tank except for the Live Rock/Live Sand...

I just don't have money to spend on a skimmer...and then decide I don't like the skimmer so go buy another...thus the reason I'm asking so many questions...

I just trying to find the right buy.

why are you in a rush...with good flow and enough live rock that would be good for filtration...I dont see you being in a bind cause of that.

why are you in a rush...with good flow and enough live rock that would be good for filtration...I dont see you being in a bind cause of that.

The water looks cloudy about 4 days after a water change and the surface is pretty dirty...I've also been told my oxygen levels are pretty low...

I've been told by two differnet LFS's that I need mechincal filtration...

I'm trying to increase my live stock by another fish or two...and I don't want to end up killing them due to my tank not being filter correctly.

These are your problems ,my friend. You don't have an overflow to breakup the"skum" on the surface. Next best thing is an airstone in the tank to help with this. Even if you had a skimmer it wouldn't break the skum off the surface of the water. The LR will help clear some of the cloudiness but it will take about a week for it to go away. You should have ~1.5# of LR per gallon of water.

So if I was to buy another 15lbs of LiveRock (I currently have 25lbs...an other powerhead...

Could I do without a skimmer/filter?

ALSO...keep in mind. I would like to add some mushrooms corals...small mushrooms, nothing major

air stone in the tank will do nothing but cause you headachs with lbs of salt creep..you do NOT need mechanical filtration..your LFS will will say anything to sell you one.

I ran my old 75 reef with no filtration except 80lb of rock and 2 hydor koralia #4 for like 5months...didnt have any issues.

Thanks Runner...

I know I'm draggint this thread out...but I just wanted to get a good idea from people that have been doing this for years...(compared to my LFS's that always try to throw something your way to buy)

I'll go and pickup about 15lbs of rock...and also another powerhead. ---- Theres about 400gph worth of flow...what should I aim for in a 29 gallon tank?

maybe a medium or large aquafuge with a tunze 9002 in one of the chambers? ive seen it done before and youll have a refugium in the back with lights and all =) cheers goodluck

If I just add more Live Rock and another powerhead...and do weekly water changes...

Would I be ok with just that?

What about my oxygen levels?

Thanks,

I have a hard time believing that what you posted pictures of is 25 lbs of live rock. Either way, skimmers are hardly a necessity for that size tank, but they are very helpful for someone new, such as yourself.

Also, nice avatar :slap:

If I just add more Live Rock and another powerhead...and do weekly water changes...

Would I be ok with just that?

What about my oxygen levels?

Thanks,

Who told you that your oxygen levels are low? It sounds like someone is trying to make you justify the purchase of a skimmer.

If that tank had a black back ground the pumps and powerheads wouldn't be as noticable and distracting when you looked at it.

My fix - more rock, back ground, Remora and a modified AC so you can run carbon and filter floss to give the water a clean polished look. You could even do a small fuge in one and it would be much more beneficial to the overall health of your system.

Oh yeah... and the Remora would be optional... I think you'd get more out of the fuge or carbon/floss combo.

I have a hard time believing that what you posted pictures of is 25 lbs of live rock. Either way, skimmers are hardly a necessity for that size tank, but they are very helpful for someone new, such as yourself.

Also, nice avatar :slap:

Who told you that your oxygen levels are low? It sounds like someone is trying to make you justify the purchase of a skimmer.

I was told that since there isn't anything breaking the surface of the tank...there are NO oxygen bubbles in the tank.

So here's the plan...

I will go buy 15lbs of Live Rock this weekend along with an additional powerhead (Hydor #2). This will give me about 38ish pounds of live rock and a total flow of 1,000gph according to the rating on the powerheads.

^^^ Will that be enough? Or will I still need a skimmer?

I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons...because 1 post says YAY to skimmer...while the other one says NAY to it.

ok, here is my 2 cents...

yes you can run with out a skimmer if you are dilligent in your water changes. I did it on a nano for about a year with no issues. however, the skimmer will make your life a lot easier as it will make your weekly water changes 'a good idea' rather than basically mandatory.

As for filtration, you should figure out how you are going to run carbon if you need it (you almost certainly will at somepoint). a cheapo HOB filter will work for this too, but it will mean another piece of junk hanging on your tank.

As for surface scum, you can get the surface skimmer box for the aquac which will both hide the powerhead that you find objectionable, as well as skim the surface of the water, as well as oxygenate the water. (if you cant tell i think a skimmer is a really good idea :)).

and finally regarding the price, this is one of those things you really dont want to skimp on. if you do end up getting into this hobby, spending an extra $100 now will save you a ton down the road. and finally $50 is only a good price if you buy something that works, and if that something doesn't overflow skimmate all over your floor... sorry for the long post but i hope it helps...

I was told that since there isn't anything breaking the surface of the tank...there are NO oxygen bubbles in the tank.

So here's the plan...

I will go buy 15lbs of Live Rock this weekend along with an additional powerhead (Hydor #2). This will give me about 38ish pounds of live rock and a total flow of 1,000gph according to the rating on the powerheads.

^^^ Will that be enough? Or will I still need a skimmer?

I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons...because 1 post says YAY to skimmer...while the other one says NAY to it.

You don't NEED a skimmer.

You can point a powerhead at the surface and get good surface aggitation.

Adding the new rock may cause a cycle - your options would be to cure the rock outside of the tank or to add the rock and be prepaired to soft cycle your tank in the event of another cycle.

Even if you buy cured LR there still may be some die off on the rock while in transport.

Also seriously... WTF are you thinking with that avatar?

Also seriously... WTF are you thinking with that avatar?

i guess it's his subtle way of saying that he spends too much time on these forums and needs someone to physically remove him from them.

Okie... good responses so far... let me beat this finally to death... :lol:

1. You need more liverocks no matter what... with/without skimmer ... with/without refugium....

2. Why are you so concern with powerheads in your tank or not? Once you have corals/liverocks everything will be covered .... Your tank going to grow vertically/horizontally with livestock/liverocks .... a powerhead is your least concern as coraline algae grows all over it...etc...

3. The Tunze 9002 does not cost 250+ .... you are looking at the bigger models.... as some are posted here used for 100 buxs... a brand new one can be had for 160 buxs....

4. Remoras are good skimmers, but watch out for noise.... no matter how people say its silent...there is NOISE.... if you are concern with noise go with a Tunze 9002....

5. IMO a skimmer + refugium + water changes ...made my life a lot easier... my parameters are always perfect..

The refugium from Aquatraders for 50 buxs are a steal!! and does the job right... but if you are afraid of stuff sticking into the tank... then I don't know.... Don't get the recommended PH... get the a smaller minijet 404 or 606....

Here is a picture of my tank with the refugium pump and Tunze 9002 in there... IMO its barely noticeable as it blends into the background .... the Tunze 9002 in the corner just looks like any overflow box you see in larger tanks....and the pump for the refugium is concealed by the liverocks....

Another picture of the tank with the Remora Maxijet 1200. for comparison....

Either way things are nicely concealed .... if this is also annoying to you... i think your last resort is plumb the tank.... overflow it ..and get a sump ... then all you see is the overflow box and nothing else..... Also the heater in your tank.. that is annoying too B)

Here is a picture of my tank with the refugium pump and Tunze 9002 in there... IMO its barely noticeable as it blends into the background .... the Tunze 9002 in the corner just looks like any overflow box you see in larger tanks....and the pump for the refugium is concealed by the liverocks....

Another picture of the tank with the Remora Maxijet 1200. for comparison....

Either way things are nicely concealed .... if this is also annoying to you... i think your last resort is plumb the tank.... overflow it ..and get a sump ... then all you see is the overflow box and nothing else..... Also the heater in your tank.. that is annoying too B)

Thanks for the pics Chironerd...and your totally right. You can barely see the Tunze in the tank...it blends in perfectly!

I called around last night and found a place that carries the Remora in stock...I think I might pick one up along with the surface skimmer...that should conceal everything pretty well.

Thanks for the pics again!

i guess it's his subtle way of saying that he spends too much time on these forums and needs someone to physically remove him from them.

Also...to the senior citizens of the site...please note:

I CHANGED THE AVATAR...CALM DOWN AND HAVE SOME LEMONADE...

Also... a thank you to everyone that gave their inputs and commented!

Seriously...it makes a difference to hear what people that have been down this path before have to say...

Also...to the senior citizens of the site...please note:

I CHANGED THE AVATAR...CALM DOWN AND HAVE SOME LEMONADE...

Yeah, because racism is totally acceptable if you're young :rolleyes:

Oh well, it's good that you changed it, I'd hate for you to be banned for something as stupid as an avatar.

Not to burst your bubble... but the skimmer box for the Remora is HUGE... so i don't know how it will look..and i read you need to put a mod for it to stay put in the tank... anyways...i think no matter how big it is ...it should be like size of the Tunze...and if you put the skimmer box in the middle it will look like overflow box...

Good luck

i havent read the other responses, but yes you can overskim.

How will you know? your coral growth will be very very slow.

Few years back I ran a 15H with no fish. Tank remained like that for a long long time. Growth was relatively slow. Excellent water conditions, lots of flow and lots of light...

...consider that I dont dose anything, just a bit of phoyto weekly.

Then one day a friends tank crashed and I took her fish. After the fish I added a shrimp too. And what happened? A month later my coral growth was way higher. Why? the introduction of nutrients via feedings.

If I had a skimmer during my fishless period, I bet growth would have been terrible.

So whats the bottom line? its all about balance. If you plan for a decent bioload, plan for a skimmer to match. But if your going for a very light bioloads.. well you might just do better without a skimmer. And if you have a big skimmer and alight bioload.. ya you can overskim.

Archived