Coral Vue Hydros

Can you OVER SKIM?

pimp4cheddar

Hey folks,

I was looking and couldn't find anything on this topic...

I have a 29 gallon tank and I'm looking at getting a HOB skimmer (the prizm to be exact) that is rated for 100 gallons....

My question is - is that too much power for my tank?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 30breeder with a 15g sump and my skimmer is rated for 150g with a light bioload

its a bubble Magus BM100

With close to 2,000 posts...anything you say...I will pretty much believe!!!

Thanks Runner...

I was just concerned that it might skim some of the good bacteria!

Your setup should not be a problem. Skimming removes disolved organics but can also remove "good" trace elements although they are replenished with waterchanges. The benefits of a skimmer outweigh the drawbacks when the tank size leaves the "nano" category or the bioload is larger than normal.

Your setup should not be a problem. Skimming removes disolved organics but can also remove "good" trace elements although they are replenished with waterchanges.

Explain ^^^

What good trace elements?

also...I have no filter...

I will only have my 29gallon tank, 25lbs of Live Rock, hydor powerhead #1, and the skimmer....NO FILTER...

I take it the skimmer would be enough...???

0 gallons, with a PITA on the side

I've read the threads and the reviews are mixed...some people think they're great...others say they suck and overflow!

That's what i'm afraid of...

I was stuck between the prizm and the remora c...with the powerhead inside the skimmer...

But i'm getting the prizm for around $50 bucks...which is a great deal

he said he has a 29gal tank, didnt specificly say he has a BC29. also he said his tank has no filter, just rock and powerhead so thats a dead giveaway.

for 50 bucks i say give it a try and see if it actually pulls anything for you. if not sell it back out and get a remora or tunze

my buddy ran a przim on a rsm since the stock skimmer sucked and he had the prism laying around. The pump stated making clanking noises and it smelled like melting acyrlic. he pulled it off his tank. Imo go with the remora.

Hey folks,

As mentioned above...I don't have a cube...

It's just a standard tank.

I figured that for $50ish dollars it would be a good move...but after reading about the skimmer overflowing and also sucking so much...I think i'm going to pass.

Is there a remora I should look for? All the remora HOB skimmers besides the nano have the powerhead in the tank right?

Thanks folks

Yes, the remora skimmers have the PH in the tank.

They are great skimmers, I have used the standard and nano versions. Once adjusted properly they do a very good job.

I"m going to have to pass on the remora...

I REFUSE to get a skimmer that places the powerhead in the tank...I need a skimmer that dosen't have the powerhead in the tank...thus the reason I was gun-ho about the prizm...

I like the look of the octopus as well...BH-100F to be exact...

I have the Tunze and love it. Either way Tunze or Remora you will be happy.

Well I guess you wouldn't like the Tunze either as the entire thing sits in your tank or sump.

I have the Tunze and love it. Either way Tunze or Remora you will be happy.

The Tunze is expensive as hell...it's like $250+

The octopus is about $150...any other options that are in the $100-$175 price range with the powerhead inside the skimmer that works well...

Also...how is it that the prizm overflows? I haven't been able to understand or gather the info from all the threads...

Well your refusal to not put a powerhead in the tank is not realistic.

Do you have a refusal for all powerheads? How will you get proper flow in the tank, closed loop?

The Prism puts the intake tube into the tank, that is pretty ugly as well.

The Remora is hands down an amazing skimmer for the price, and you will not be disappointed. The Octopus hang on back skimmers, however, I think are just a step up from the Prism, but they maybe skim 5% of what the Remora can (exaggeration, but most likely true)

BTW, would you rather have a powerhead in your display or the entire skimmer body sitting in the tank. Thats a no-brainer to me, the powerhead of course. The entire skimmer body takes up space, looks ugly, and takes up valuable real estate in a nano tank.

gulfsurfer101

I had a prism almost fry a tank because it was releasing toxic spew back into my tank. To answer your question, no you cannot over skim with that skimmer on your tank. If you must absolutely use that skimmer I would look into some kind of over skim bucket. I had mine setup to overskim into a bucket by using an airline tube and super glue and simply drilling a hole to fit the airline tube near the bottom of the collection cup. You can also find good videos of how other people modded out theirs to preform better.

Well your refusal to not put a powerhead in the tank is not realistic.

Do you have a refusal for all powerheads? How will you get proper flow in the tank, closed loop?

The Prism puts the intake tube into the tank, that is pretty ugly as well.

The Remora is hands down an amazing skimmer for the price, and you will not be disappointed. The Octopus hang on back skimmers, however, I think are just a step up from the Prism, but they maybe skim 5% of what the Remora can (exaggeration, but most likely true)

BTW, would you rather have a powerhead in your display or the entire skimmer body sitting in the tank. Thats a no-brainer to me, the powerhead of course. The entire skimmer body takes up space, looks ugly, and takes up valuable real estate in a nano tank.

It's not a refusal of powerheads...as I have a Hydor and I'm going to buy another one and place it in the opposite side of my tank...

It's just a purchased a Seaclone and was so turned off by how UGLY it looked in my tank...it was a complete eyesore. I'm just stopped using it.

I'm just looking for something that works GREAT, isn't as expensive as a Warner Marine and doesn't look bad in my tank. That's the reason I was looking at an Octopus or Prizm...the less equipment in the tank...the clean it looks.

Okay...well adding a remora to your tank is like adding another powerhead, all you will see is the Maxijet...

And comparing the Seacrap and the Prism to the Remora is not even plausible. They are in different leagues.

If you want a skimmer that works great and then some, you will get a Remora wit the Maxijet1200

yo do realize the body of the remora hangs on the back of the tank

Okay...well adding a remora to your tank is like adding another powerhead, all you will see is the Maxijet...

And comparing the Seacrap and the Prism to the Remora is not even plausible. They are in different leagues.

If you want a skimmer that works great and then some, you will get a Remora wit the Maxijet1200

yo do realize the body of the remora hangs on the back of the tank

Acid,

I'm aware that the remora hangs off the back...

I was mostly concern with what is visable inside the tank.

I just snapped a few pics RIGHT NOW of my tank and this is how it stands. I'm going to place a sheet on the back glass...so you won't see the cords hanging off...

CLICKS FOR PICS:

DSCF1189.jpg

DSCF1190.jpg

DSCF1191.jpg

So...let me get this clear.

I will simply add the remora on the back with the powerhead inside the tank...right? What else will be inside the tank besides that? Also...should I add another Hydor Powerhead?

Also...how should I aim my powerhead?

Archived