Innovative Marine Aquariums

ON HOLD

miniwhinny

I FINALLY did it hahaha.

I think it's taken me an entire year to make this plunge but today I jumped in :D Today I bought myself a 40 breeder. Finally you guys don't have to listen to me whine about wanting one hehehe. Wow, they're BIG !!!!!

I'm so happy :)

So as this will end up being my tank thread can I ask you guys to help me decide something....

what's better....this way.....

or this way...

in the pics it's a little close to the wall..I'll move it out a bit to fit my lights and equipment.

Thanks in advance :happydance::happydance::naughtydance::haha:

Oh and thanks NR for allowing "us" with such big tanks to be part of this nano reef forum ;)

yah, I just kind of positioned it up there to get an idea of which way to angle it. It will be 90% out from under the cupboard. We never use the breakfast bar so I'm comandeering it lol (hope it will hold the weight...oh, never thought about that lol)

I like it on the peninsula (pass-through tanks are nifty), but I agree with Scott on the cabinet. imo, shore up the edge of the island nearest the wall and move the tank there. A few 2x4s and some painted or stained plywood to box it in, and you're good to go. It'll give you more counter space by the dishwasher, as well.

No sunlight. That side of the house faces pretty much due north and there's a large covered porch out there too.

I thought I saw a patio cover but wasn't sure. Still, there does seem to be a lot of light.

GrandpaFeathers
I thought I saw a patio cover but wasn't sure. Still, there does seem to be a lot of light.

Scott's got a pretty good point. It dones't need the sun directly shining on it to still be getting light.

also, welcome!

Looks amazing! I love for long ways facing the table. Totally in the way but it would be so pretty to view from the table.

You have to reinforce the cabinet though. My friend broke through that exact kitchen set up and he was only about 200lbs. Granted he threw himself up there, but 2 inches of pressboard aint going hold for long. Easy fix though. Good luck!

Looks amazing! I love for long ways facing the table. Totally in the way but it would be so pretty to view from the table.

You have to reinforce the cabinet though. My friend broke through that exact kitchen set up and he was only about 200lbs. Granted he threw himself up there, but 2 inches of pressboard aint going hold for long. Easy fix though. Good luck!

OMG !!!!! I may have to go buy a stand for this monster lol. I can just see hubby's face when his precious corian counter is in splinters all over the kitchen floor...oh worse...40 gallons worth of WET splinters hehehehe. I'm really glad your friend broke his or I never would have known it wasn't strong enough. THANK YOU :bowdown:

How much will that thing weigh fully loaded - 300lbs? 400lbs? Yeah, either get a stand or do some serious reinforcement to the counter. ;)

So, stocking plans? I don't keep up very well in this part of the forum, lol.

I like it peninsula syle! :D

If you decide to go the stand way..build one! the stands for the 40B are short about 36" and you have to bend down to view the tank..that was one of my regrets when I had mine set up

can't wait to see it up!

I like it peninsula syle! :D

If you decide to go the stand way..build one! the stands for the 40B are short about 36" and you have to bend down to view the tank..that was one of my regrets when I had mine set up

can't wait to see it up!

'

36" isn't that short, the stand for my 29g is about 30". But it is the perfec height to see from my bed.

I think it would look cool peninsula style on the counter. Throw some 2x4s under the counter for support and you sould be good to go.

OMG !!!!! I may have to go buy a stand for this monster lol. I can just see hubby's face when his precious corian counter is in splinters all over the kitchen floor...oh worse...40 gallons worth of WET splinters hehehehe. I'm really glad your friend broke his or I never would have known it wasn't strong enough. THANK YOU :bowdown:

You are very welcome. Dont let this derail your plan though. The cabinet should be mostly open making it super easy to reinforce. I know nothing about that stuff, but maybe just a 4x4 post-like leg under the center? I am sure there are capenters on this site who can tell you exactly what to do.

Yay for the corian! Formica might warp eventually with the water drips and whatnot.

Thanks everyone for sharing my excitement.

I have to store it until I get the stand figured out or get some bracing in place.

Stocking plans...hahah gee I haven't even thought that far yet hehehe

One question about the daylight...We have a very bright house. The kitchen has a skylight right by the tank area (but the light wouldn't hit it) are you mentioning the light as a good thing or bad?

IMO, stand. Its about time you got one, now you can stop making threads about if you should get one or not. :P JK

I though the same thing myself hehehe

One question about the daylight...We have a very bright house. The kitchen has a skylight right by the tank area (but the light wouldn't hit it) are you mentioning the light as a good thing or bad?

Well, two issues come to mind, heat and algae growth. Even indirect light could have an effect.

Don't fear the sun. If the ambient temp doesn't make giant swings when the sun is streaming in, you should be fine. It doesn't look like you would have issues where you are placing it. I'm one of those that lets their tank get direct sunlight, couldn't keep the blinds closed if I wanted to in my house, and the sun gets a bad rap.

I don't think I'm worried about the sunlight. There's no light that could hit the tank on that side of the house and I've had a 10 gallon that sat on that counter for over a year and it never had temp problems.

I would add some 2x4 bracing under the cabinet but that corian top is very strong stuff. Spread over the area that the tank will cover and with the addition of some bracing you won't have any problems putting it on the counter.

Oh and by the way peninsula style looks much better.

I don't think I'm worried about the sunlight. There's no light that could hit the tank on that side of the house and I've had a 10 gallon that sat on that counter for over a year and it never had temp problems.

I was just mentioning it. If you're comfortable with it, then no worries IMO.

Archived