Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is it safe to cut the center brace off a tank?

Lebowski_

I've got a MH pendent (CL 150w) and I just put it on tonight. I knew the center brace would force me to place the unit to one side only.

The set up looks decent but I'd rather have it centered.

Can I cut the brace? Safe?

Cheers.

The manufacturer wouldn't have put it on unless they felt there was a risk of the tank bowing out and breaking. One alternative is to put two braces on, offcenter of where the one now is. That way it won't shade the light. But that's a real bummer to do.

Don't do it. Especially if it is full of water. I have seen some tanks that removed the center brace when empty and replace that brace with clear acrylic using heavy zip ties or nylon screws and nuts. That brace is important to the structure of the tank and keeps the pane of glass from bowing too much. It'll be cheaper to buy another light than crack that tank.

Steve

I've got a MH pendent (CL 150w) and I just put it on tonight. I knew the center brace would force me to place the unit to one side only.

The set up looks decent but I'd rather have it centered.

Can I cut the brace? Safe?

Cheers.

that's not advisable.....lol had one break on me once on a 72 bowfront....it wasn't pretty after that

that's not advisable.....lol had one break on me once on a 72 bowfront....it wasn't pretty after that

lol i guess im one of the few people with a 62g oceanic tank with out a center brace but then again the tank is 1/2" thick :P. 36Lx18Wx22H and holds all my water with out bowing :)

Hmm, we have a lot of guys at work who cut them off...but then again, i dont need a swimming pool in my house.

Time to buy another halide I guess :)

What do you guys recommend I do for the actinics? I have two retrofit PC's just sitting on panels of glass on the front. But if I have two halides, I won't have much room for actinics?

Could I just get 20,000k bulbs and not add the extra actinics?

get a thin piece of stainless steel bar..and bend it at the ends like a C...cut out the brace but leave like 1" on each side and drill a hole in there and put the bar in there..make it as tight as you can...then you wont have any light blockage maybe 1/8"

If it's not already filled with water (which it sounds like it is unfortunately) you can cut the center brace out leaving about 2" of the brace in front and back. Get a piece of plexi cut to size and drill 2 support screw holes both in the front and back old brace remains and corresponding plexi. Get nylon screws and nuts and attach the new plexi brace to the tank with nylon screws and also epoxy in between the new brace and the old ends if you really want to make it secure.

I did this with a 56 gallon and it held quite well for years while producing no shadow from my MH.

So the new plan might be to set up another tank...

I might get a 40 breeder, make that the reef, turn the 65 into a FOWLR again.

NO NO NO! Dont cut the brace!

My genius roommate decided to pick up my empty 55 gallon by the center brace and promptly snapped it. Since it was my first tank I thought nothing of it. I filled the whole thing only to watch the glass literally bow. Panicked I bucketed all the water out and had to replace the whole top. Urgh.

Advice about the brace is good. Just dont cut it until you have something else in place.

That sounds like the smart move. As far as the actinics, I like them even with 14K bulbs. Some corals will Pop more with them. You will be ok without them but I'd leave room to add them later if you don't now. Either way you have a good plan now.

Steve

Phoenix bulbs are great in color and the spectrum makes corals POP..When I ran them I felt no need to add any actinic to the water other then if I wanted to waste electricity

Thanks for the support guys.

What kinda of quality and colour differences will I find between Phoenix 14k and Coralife 14k?

I'm saving for college and can get the 14ks from Coralife for free. In a tough spot.

Archived