Cultivated Reef

Eggcrate Causes Snot Algae?..... unless you paint with

Weetabix7

You should be fine with rigid PVC if you are worried about it. It is one of the reasons I decided with rigid PVC. I think CPVC is overkill, they use it because it has a higher temp resistance.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should be fine with rigid PVC if you are worried about it. It is one of the reasons I decided with rigid PVC. I think CPVC is overkill, they use it because it has a higher temp resistance.

Agreed.

I've been using flexible PVC for a long time and have never seen any problems I could attribute to it. Face it, if we don't use plastic we'll be using metal. I get so much corraline growth on both rigid and flexible PVC that I'm having a hard time imagining it produces much of a harmful effect.

Even if flex PVC leaked PO4, I bet the flux into the water would be strongly inhibited in lighted areas during lights on. The photosynthetic organisms living on it would sequester it.

• 3 weeks later...
johnmaloney

I am sold on this. Every single customer I have had in the last month that has had "some weird brown goop algae" had just recently added egg crate.

Nick's Reef
I am sold on this. Every single customer I have had in the last month that has had "some weird brown goop algae" had just recently added egg crate.

Yep, i got this crap all over my foam wall from the eggcrate. i found that strong flow keeps it off at least for now, i've got all my powerheads pointing at it after I brucshed it off and did a wc.

I had algae issue with my 20g long frag tank. Was doing perfectly fine without eggcrate, added eggcrate, almost immediately (i.e. within the week), had algae issues. Not snot algae, but some type of fuzzy hair algae. Removed eggcrate, algae problems went away. Nothing else was changed within this time frame, nor any frags added.

Soaked the eggcrate in some fw for a while, put it back in, no issues now.

Definitely not a scientific method, but thats the results, and you can pull your own conclusions from it. This was the cheapo white eggcrate from Home Depot.

I had both the brown snotty and green fuzzy algae growing on my little frag rack. I took it out and bleached it. It didn't take long for it to come back.

Nick's Reef

if this stuff is leaching sillicates, isn't there chemical media we can use to get rid of it? I thought gfo removes sillicates aswell as phosphates but for people like me dosing a carbon source (vodka, sugar, vinegar, or brightwell biofuel) we can't use gfo. Dose carbon remove sillicates?

Militant Jurist
Once again: Krylon Fusion.

+10

I'm going to be doing it even for the crate I'm planning to use to support the lights over my tank, just to be safe. Wash, rinse, and then Krylon Fusion. I was thinking about making a mini-rack using a magfloat, so I'm glad I read this well beforehand!

does this only happen when it exposed to light? would a nice hot soapy bath prevent this?

I bought some egg crate to make a media rack and now thinking twice about it. I want to try the cheato route again and would be using this for sure.

For years I have used eggcrate and haven't had issues with it except in sump areas. And there I really don't care.

I honestly think that what happens when most people introduce eggcrate into their system that the most simplistic organisms take hold.

I've used eggcrate for years and got nothing but corraline growing on it..... until this year. Something changed in the formula or releasing agent or something.

• 3 months later...

So I put a DIY frag rack in my 29BC about a month ago, and got the "snot" algae within a week. Its been about a month now and coraline algae is beginning to colonize the rack, snot is almost gone from the rack itself, however now the snot is on the sand in a few places.

I am going to manually remove as much of it as possible.

My question is, should I leave the rack in place and let the coraline cover over the rack? Will this keep the "chemical" or "chemicals" from leaching into the water?

i made a rock wall (look at my sig for the link) with homedepot egg crate. i soaked it in bleach water and then dechlorinated tap water to remove the bleach water... then sprayed it down with krylon fusion.

After those steps i went on with the rock wall application (attaching the dead live rock and applying "great stuff pond and stone", along with sand and silicon so the sand sticks). So far my rock wall has been completely gunk free.

PAINT EGGCRATE

</thread>

Jesus.

Maybe I should have been more specific. Short of spraying, if the coraline covers the entire eggcrate, will that be as effective as Krylon?

Jesus.

Militant Jurist

Are you saying that you've already got it covered in coralline, or that you'd like to wait and let it get that way? If you are talking about waiting, the time frame required can be quite lengthy, and I'd just paint it to avoid the problems.

I've not had any real problems with my Krylon painted frag rack. The only things growing on it are the same things growing on my tank walls: Spirorbis, coralline, and a bit of random algae that's the same as what has always grown on my glass.

I'm not sure how I feel about saying this, but I agree 100% with Kraylen on this one. If you can paint it, paint it. It takes only a few minutes, and it can save all kinds of hassles.

Thanks for the quick replys.

The coraline is covering about 20% of the eggcrate, and it seems like every week it covers a noticable amount. ( Alot more and lot quicker than coral skeletons I frag on) The "snot" algae is isolated to the sand bed. Im thinking what ever is causing the Cyano or what ever it is, is also fueling the coraline...

jc anyone else notice this?

Archived