Pod Your Reef

Hydor K1

yawningp

Hi all,

I've just restarted up a tank. 18 x 18 x 18. It's in my room and the k1 is making a rather noticeable

rattle. If I remove the head from the attaching suction cup it's totally silent but when I re-attach it

to the red stick which attaches to the suction cup it just vibrates loudly.

Anyone come across this vibration issue?

Thanks.

i have two k1's and no noises at all. maybe rotate it around a bit to see if its just a certain spot it does it. also move the magnet on the outside around a bit. mine are not centered with the wet side. if not sounds like something is defective. maybe you can return it??

I have two k1's in my tank it, one of them started buzzing like you stated yours did. What I did was I rotated the powerhead on the red post, I also centered up the magnet a bit and I also unplugged it and plugged it back in ( incase something got in next to the shaft of the impeller.

i have 2 #1 in my tank..once I had one making a vib noise..but its because the shell didnt fully snap close..so after I opened it and snapped it closed good again...it has been dead silent ever since

Thanks for the replies guys. I've had limited success with doing all of the above.

I ended up shouting at it and well I've given it till the weekend. Then I kill it.

Hahaha. Did you open her up and check the shaft? I took mine apart and found some gunk surrounding the shaft, causing the impeller to rattle a bit against the casing.

Also, the lower you put it, the less resonance you will get.

For anyone who has this problem, apparently it is an issues with some of the 1st batch of Koralia 1s.

There is a fix for it, two small washers that your Hydor distributor can get for you.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthr...1060&page=2

I've contacted mine and they are sending me the washers so hopefully thats that.

I've resorted to wrapping a rubberband around the front end of the shaft which

seems to have stopped it rattling, but on occassions also stops the propeller

when it touches.

Cheers.

I dont know if the koralia 1's have an O-ring but when I was cleaning my Koralia 2 there was a rubber O-ring under the impeller shaft that fell out and went down the drain. It makes a vibrating rattling noise so I use it to mix my saltwater now. I'm not sure if the Koralia 1's have O-rings or not but that could be why it makes a noise.

Archived