ReefCleaners.org

To chill or not to chill?

nyfishguy

Your decision to use a chiller is yours...no one else's. You have your own circumstances. If you've got the scratch to shell out for a chiller, I'd say do it (and, you obviously did). I've got one of those PCI Model 150s. Marvelous thing about them is that they both chill the water AND heat it when needed, saving the need for a separate heater. Mine was on a 20G long tank that I had two Jack Dempseys in...it's now going to be the cooling unit for my JBJ 6G when I get the 70W MH up and running. (Note that I said 'when'...I've a few other things on my plate more pressing right now...like trying to buy a house, raise the down payment, etc.)

Let us know the results.

nice..how much did you pay for your PCI 150? i have the 280 but it doesnt have the heating option

just picked up the new aqua euro 1/13 HP......im going to plumb it in a couple of weeks...

sweet! yeah its your decision and nobody elses..they can give advice but you know what you need and what the weather is like where you live..if you have the coin and need a chiller because your house is hot then thats good. i got a used 1/10 HP for 150 so you can find deals on them too..fans are nice but a chiller is more stable and offers more reassurance.

nice..how much did you pay for your PCI 150? i have the 280 but it doesnt have the heating option

sweet! yeah its your decision and nobody elses..they can give advice but you know what you need and what the weather is like where you live..if you have the coin and need a chiller because your house is hot then thats good. i got a used 1/10 HP for 150 so you can find deals on them too..fans are nice but a chiller is more stable and offers more reassurance.

im just trying to figure out what kind of pump id need to get 300-500 gph through it and still be able to squeeze it in the back of an RSM sump

I've always wondered do people who have chillers just not have A/C in their house and or do they let their house get up to the mid 80's in the summer or something. If you keep your house in the lower to mid 70's would your tank temp still get up to the upper 80's even with a fan?

Hey now, the cost of running A/C 24/7 @ mid 70°C is alot more than running a chiller to keep a tank at ~78°C. From a energy conservation point of view, why would anyone keep an empty house (minus the fish and coral) @ mid 70's while away at work? <_<

Here in California, our house often gets up to the mid to upper 80's during the day time, so it would cost much more to run the A/C constantly, than to run the chiller which comes on intermittently throughout the day. FWIW, for my 25gal tall, with 1x250W DE MH, with a 10 gal rubbermaid sump, I'm running the Current Prime 1/15hp and it keeps the tank at 79°C during the summer time. Using a fan is a great way to keep your temp in "check". It wouldn't work if your indoor temp is already north of 78°C, plus you'll have to top off more with the higher rate of evaporation. Chillers add a peace of mind.

Oh, I use the QuietOne 1200 for my chiller, flow rate is 296gph, works perfectly.

-Jeff

neanderthalman

0000016929_20060921081625.jpg

Chill....buddy...

I'm picking up a chiller soon, our apartment is plenty cool over the summer, but gets to about 78 in the winter. Stupid unbalanced heating system.

Hey now, the cost of running A/C 24/7 @ mid 70°C is alot more than running a chiller to keep a tank at ~78°C. From a energy conservation point of view, why would anyone keep an empty house (minus the fish and coral) @ mid 70's while away at work? <_<

Here in California, our house often gets up to the mid to upper 80's during the day time, so it would cost much more to run the A/C constantly, than to run the chiller which comes on intermittently throughout the day. FWIW, for my 25gal tall, with 1x250W DE MH, with a 10 gal rubbermaid sump, I'm running the Current Prime 1/15hp and it keeps the tank at 79°C during the summer time. Using a fan is a great way to keep your temp in "check". It wouldn't work if your indoor temp is already north of 78°C, plus you'll have to top off more with the higher rate of evaporation. Chillers add a peace of mind.

Oh, I use the QuietOne 1200 for my chiller, flow rate is 296gph, works perfectly.

-Jeff

Not to seem like a jerk, but if your tank was at 79°C during summertime, you've not got a chiller but instead you've got a really good water heater :P

Not to seem like a jerk, but if your tank was at 79°C during summertime, you've not got a chiller but instead you've got a really good water heater :P

Haha, I thought 79 was pretty good for water temp (with a 250W MH hanging over the tank). :P Imagine without my chiller what the water temp would be when the room temp is well over 80 degrees.

-Jeff

Haha, I thought 79 was pretty good for water temp (with a 250W MH hanging over the tank). :P Imagine without my chiller what the water temp would be when the room temp is well over 80 degrees.

-Jeff

79 IS a good temp, just not 79C ;) That's the problem with the Fahrenheit-Celsius scales, their incompatibility leaves little to be desired. The ideal temperature range in the Celsius (ºC) scale is about 24-29. 79C is nearly boiling! :P

-Jeff

One could argue the fact that if you turn your thermostat up to 80 when you leave your house, then back down to 70 when you come back home then back up to 80 when you leave and then back down to 70 when you come home your A/C is going to work a lot harder to drop the temp 10 degree's everytime you turn it back down (especially if you get home during the hottest part of the day), then it would be just to keep the entire place at one constant temp.

HecticDialectics
One could argue the fact that if you turn your thermostat up to 80 when you leave your house, then back down to 70 when you come back home then back up to 80 when you leave and then back down to 70 when you come home your A/C is going to work a lot harder to drop the temp 10 degree's everytime you turn it back down (especially if you get home during the hottest part of the day), then it would be just to keep the entire place at one constant temp.

And one could be assured that anyone who argues such a thing has no idea how an air conditioner works...

Archived