Pod Your Reef

To chill or not to chill?

nyfishguy

how many ppl here use chillers for there nano? and if so what are the pros and cons about them (if any)....my house gets super humid in the summer b/c we live 100ft away from the beach and was wondering if a chiller was the way to go

How big is your tank?

If your house is really warm in the summer... then a chiller might be the way to go...

You can try lights on during day time + clip on fan.... if that doesn't work...

If you can get a breeze in during the afternoon or at night time...... a lot of people might choose to 'reverse' their photo period during summer time... like instead of 12pm to 8pm lights on... they switch it to 9pm to 5am lights on... this way it be cooler at night and the lights won't heat up the tank too much.

If this way doesn't work.. you can reverse photo period and use a clip on fan during day time to keep the tank cool during the day while the lights are on at night....

Try everything..... before investing on a chiller...... but if the worse come to worse... chiller is the way to go... just don't sacrifice your livestock and risk it... I did and lost 300 dollars worth of corals/fish... which was the same cost for a small chiller :angry:

As for pros and cons....

Pros: Drop your tank temperature and have stability...

Cons: More electrical cost and plumbing...and always a risk of flooding... that all I can think of right now....

I've always wondered do people who have chillers just not have A/C in their house and or do they let their house get up to the mid 80's in the summer or something. If you keep your house in the lower to mid 70's would your tank temp still get up to the upper 80's even with a fan?

i live in my parents house and b/c we're soo close to the beach in the summer they feel like a/c is usless...they'd rather have the windows open and have a warm summer breeze flowing through the house.

my lizards love it....the tank on the other hand probably wont fair too well

i live in my parents house and b/c we're soo close to the beach in the summer they feel like a/c is usless...they'd rather have the windows open and have a warm summer breeze flowing through the house.

my lizards love it....the tank on the other hand probably wont fair too well

Ah, you are probably right...I've wondered that about peoples A/C for quite some time now. I keep my apartment at like 72-75 in the summer (I hate being hot) so I'm hoping I wont need one.

Ah, you are probably right...I've wondered that about peoples A/C for quite some time now. I keep my apartment at like 72-75 in the summer (I hate being hot) so I'm hoping I wont need one.

hehe i hate being cold but love the heat :D..i dont like A/C because too much gives me a headach and makes me congested

hehe i hate being cold but love the heat :D..i dont like A/C because too much gives me a headach and makes me congested

I've known a couple people that A/C gets them congested...Never did that to me though...Guess I'm strange....

I've known a couple people that A/C gets them congested...Never did that to me though...Guess I'm strange....

:P haha...im getting a used 1/10 hp chiller tomarrow because it gets pretty hot and muggy here in the summer and esp in my room.

I've always wondered do people who have chillers just not have A/C in their house and or do they let their house get up to the mid 80's in the summer or something. If you keep your house in the lower to mid 70's would your tank temp still get up to the upper 80's even with a fan?

This all depends on where you live and if cooling is available. I run my cooler most the day in the summer but this apartment still gets to 90 degrees. If I dont turn on the ac it will be over 120 in the summer. Its due to the big sliding glass window in the room.

How big is your tank?

If your house is really warm in the summer... then a chiller might be the way to go...

You can try lights on during day time + clip on fan.... if that doesn't work...

Try everything..... before investing on a chiller...... but if the worse come to worse... chiller is the way to go... just don't sacrifice your livestock and risk it... I did and lost 300 dollars worth of corals/fish... which was the same cost for a small chiller :angry:

As for pros and cons....

Pros: Drop your tank temperature and have stability...

Cons: More electrical cost and plumbing...and always a risk of flooding... that all I can think of right now....

+1 ... Try using some fans first ...

This all depends on where you live and if cooling is available. I run my cooler most the day in the summer but this apartment still gets to 90 degrees. If I dont turn on the ac it will be over 120 in the summer. Its due to the big sliding glass window in the room.

You need to get your apartment manager to check your place...There is NO WAY your apartment should be 90 degree's with the A/C on...I live in NC on the 3rd floor of an apartment that gets direct sunlight in the heat of summer and I don't think my apartment has gone above 75/76...Then again I do run my A/C ALL day in the summer...lol...Again I hate being hot...

I've always wondered if you were to get a nano chiller for a large tank (like my 75), but hook the chiller up to the water in the sump (that is only like 10 gallons), and then let the primary return pump, pump the cool water from the sump back into the display if that would work better/same as getting a massive $1000.00 chiller for a large tank?

What do you guys think?

I've always wondered if you were to get a nano chiller for a large tank (like my 75), but hook the chiller up to the water in the sump (that is only like 10 gallons), and then let the primary return pump, pump the cool water from the sump back into the display if that would work better/same as getting a massive $1000.00 chiller for a large tank?

What do you guys think?

It probably won't work...just the same reason why people still use huge heaters in their sump. There is just too much initial water to chill from your display tank coming into the sump.... it might work? but on a hot day ..it might not be strong enough or fast enough... .who knows...that just 'theory' wise...i never tested it out

HecticDialectics

What do you guys think?

Nope, won't work. You can't fool physics ;)

how many ppl here use chillers for there nano? and if so what are the pros and cons about them (if any)....my house gets super humid in the summer b/c we live 100ft away from the beach and was wondering if a chiller was the way to go

I did not use one last summer, but will this year. Last summer I had to keep a fan on it and the lights off. Luckily I did not have any corals. So if you are thinking of getting one, dooooo

i think there un needed, unless your house gets way way hot in the summer, if you have AC you do not need it,

i get those cheapo box fans from walmart and use them, for my 20L i just take the box fan and lean it on a angle from the floor with a bucket so you can feel the air going over the water, for my biocube i have a couple of those Styrofoam boxes 2 of them stacked up i take a box fan and do the same thing, i also open up the top lid and back lid and it keeps my tanks cool and no need to shell out over 200 a piece for a chiller. it also sucks up your electric bill.

just make sure the top is open and air is brushing past the water you will be good to go, you dont have to have ac on, only when its super super hot during the day

just picked up the new aqua euro 1/13 HP......im going to plumb it in a couple of weeks...

guess you made up your mind before really any of use put input in, it was suggested you try everything BEFORE getting a chiller.

my APT gets HOT i mean 80 degrees if not more and a box fan on my tanks does the job and my ac is not on for 24hrs.

Your decision to use a chiller is yours...no one else's. You have your own circumstances. If you've got the scratch to shell out for a chiller, I'd say do it (and, you obviously did). I've got one of those PCI Model 150s. Marvelous thing about them is that they both chill the water AND heat it when needed, saving the need for a separate heater. Mine was on a 20G long tank that I had two Jack Dempseys in...it's now going to be the cooling unit for my JBJ 6G when I get the 70W MH up and running. (Note that I said 'when'...I've a few other things on my plate more pressing right now...like trying to buy a house, raise the down payment, etc.)

Let us know the results.

I'm pretty interested to see the results here too. My house frequently darts up over 105 degrees most of the year, and because I live in the subtropics it's that humid I'm not exactly sure how effective evaporative cooling with fans will be (saturation point of the air being relatively closer than in a less tropical climate, etc), especially once I get a 150W halide...

yup....got mine from my buddies store for cost....couldn't say no....just have to find the right sized pump to fit in the back of the RSM

Archived