Top Shelf Aquatics

The adventure begins New pics 07/19/10

cichlidtx

I would like show an update to my tank progress. Let me know if you think its going ok.

nvdiz- the lighting is 2 x 24w 50/50's.

FTS

071309_2.jpg

New inhabitant

071309_1.jpg

side view

071309_4.jpg

071309_7.jpg

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brianbeck27

Tank is looking good, I was thinking about picking up a trumpet for my dx. Hows the growth been under the stock lights? Also do you have a second fish in mind for your tank or are you staying with just the one clown?

Brianbeck27

nevermind about the fish question i forgot you had the other fish besides the clown just didnt see the other in the last fts.

Tank is looking good, I was thinking about picking up a trumpet for my dx. Hows the growth been under the stock lights? Also do you have a second fish in mind for your tank or are you staying with just the one clown?

The coral has split once within the first 2 months with the current 48W. It is getting ready to split again as I noticed a second mouth on one of the heads. I'm getting ready to order new bulbs and I am going to add a third 24W bulb as I have an extra ballast. Thanks for the comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another update to my tank. I just updated the bulbs and added an additional 24W bulb for a total of 72W. The bulb combo is a 10K, actinic, actinic. The third was supposed to be a 50/50 and it labeled as such, but it is exactly the same as the actinic. I'm waiting on a response from the online store that I purchased them from. It'a looks ok, but a little to blue/purple. Anyway I'm still enjoying this adventure. Here's some pics.

FTS no flash

080909-2.jpg

FTS w/flash

080909-1.jpg

New fish as I lost my Clown

080909-6.jpg

New Toadstool. It was opening when I first added it but now its looked like this for about a week. Anybody have an idea what may be happening? I've read other people having this issue when it was getting ready to split.

Your help would be appreciated.

080909-8.jpg

Thanks.

Tank is looking great. Sorry I dont have an answer for you for the toadstool. I was thinking about imitating the fuge light you built for chamber two as I currently have a large ball of chaeto hanging out in the display which is a little unpleasant to look at.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been almost a month since my last update. My toadstool is fine, it was shedding. I haven't added much except a free pink birdsnest from a fellower reefer. I did lose my damsel, I believe the Pseudo had something to do with it. Anyway here's some pics. Please feel free to comment.

Toadstool

090309_4.jpg

Birdsnest

090309_3.jpg

new baby red mushroom

090309_1.jpg

Unknown Zoa and spotted mushroom

090309.jpg

right side

090309_2.jpg

Green ric growing really nice

090309_5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Green Ric. Do you know why it looks like this? The other one looks normal.

060609_2.jpg

Normal ric

That almost looks like a green hair mushroom...

Tank is looking great! That green ric is amazing!

Here's another update of my tanks progress, actually I was bored so I took a few pics. Enjoy because I am.

FTS- The yogurt container is my first try at fragging mushrooms as they are growing like crazy. The Xenia will be next.

092409_3.jpg

shrooms, toadstool, ric, anthelia, hammer

092409_7.jpg

GSP- Any reason the tips are curling?

092409_2.jpg

Zoas

092409_8.jpg

On a side note, I'm in the process of setting up a 5.5 pico with oldest son and another 12gal nanocube for a frag tank. I will post on that later in another thread.

• 3 months later...

I was doing a water change today so I thought I would snap a few pics to show the tanks progress. Comments or criticism appreciated.

FTS

123109-14.jpg

rics

123109-12.jpg

123109-5.jpg

pink BN. 2nd pic is out of the water

123109-8.jpg

123109-10.jpg

Candycane, zoas, green shroom and unkown coral(Favia?)

123109-9.jpg

GSP

123109-6.jpg

123109-7.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nice update. That pink birdsnest is coming along under the PCs.

Thanks knox. The birdsnest seems to be fine with the PCs as it is growing quickly and turning more pink.

• 2 months later...

Just got done reading your tank thread. Looks awsome! Watch that Xenia it will soon take over. Here is a pic of my over-grown colony in my 40g

AquariumPics083.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. I wish I would have researched a little more about the Xenia before getting it or at least placed it at the highest point in my tank. But the only good thing is my LFS said to bring him some to trade for other frags.

I'm using a MJ1200 for return and a small pump for extra flow. I plan on replacing the MJ1200 with a Hydor Pico Evolution 1200 as it only uses 8W and either a new Koralia Nano or a Sicce Voyager 1 for additional flow. This will help reduce heat in the tank. Your tank is really nice. What coral is that in the front left side? Your sand is spotless. Thanks.

wow an mj1200, isnt that alot?!?!?! im even thinking about downgrading to a mj600 from my mj900

the coral in the front is a type of gorgonia

It's really not that much flow. I think the Y that I have on the output helps. Thanks for the info on the coral, I need to find one for my tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my latest tank update. I removed/added a few things from a recent local tank tour that I went on. Comments appreciated.

Green Torch. I couldn't pass for $10

032510-2.jpg

Duncan, another $10 frag

032510-3.jpg

Frogspawn, again $10

032510-8.jpg

Ric garden is growing. I attached them to LR.

032510-5.jpg

Side tank shot

032510-4.jpg

Archived