ReefCleaners.org

The adventure begins New pics 07/19/10

cichlidtx

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an update to my tank. All seems to be going well. I'm still having an outbreak of a dark red algae. It almost looks like velvet. My ammonia is finally 0 so I added some CUC, 2 astrea snails, a hermit, 4 dwarf blue leg crabs, and I think a mexican turbo(seems to be eating the red algae). I still need to get a reef test kit to check all parameters, but here's what I have tested.

Amm - 0

Trites - 0

Trates - 5

Ph - 7.8

Temp - 79-80

Since my Ammonia is finally down should do a 20% water change or give some time. It's been running for only 4 weeks now. Thanks and please provide some input.

post-41930-1238191266_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1238191309_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1238191327_thumb.jpg

Since your Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0, then typically tanks are seeing Nitrates higher than 5 by now, but it appears you do not have much die off contributing to the usually predictable higher nitrates and the normal green algae blooms. Since you've added a CUC already I would go ahead and do a WC but keep checking those Nitrate numbers, because IMO they will start going up, and you will need to protect the CUC.

• 1 month later...

I haven't updated in awhile so I thought i would share my tanks current state. It finally finished cycling and I have recently added my first corals. Here's a few pics showing my tank at this time. Feedback appreciated.

post-41930-1240970315_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1240970337_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1240970400_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1240970429_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1240970447_thumb.jpg

Also nice asst of zoas, with good color contrast. I recommend adding some red skirted zoas to the mix. See Lalani. Makes me want to set up the 12g NC I bought used a while back.

Thanks for the comments on the tank. Yes, that is a blenny on the left. It has some much personality, I'm glad I made that purchase.

knoxvegas, thanks for the recommendation on the red skirt zoa, I'll keep an eye out for those.

cichlidtx

I was bored so I took a few more pics. Let me know what you think about my coral placement. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

FTS

002.jpg

005.jpg

42.jpg

007.jpg

latteslave

Realized I never posted even though I have looked at this a bunch of times for ideals... I especially like the rockscape with the cave. What's next for the tank?

cichlidtx

Thanks for the comments. latteslave, I plan on giving everything a chance to grow and add a few frags as I come across good deals. Here are couple more pics, the Xenia is starting to look really healthy and I believe the Trumpet is starting to split. Just being patient and enjoying watching the growth. I started using Reef Plus this week as well. I've read about some people on here having good success using it.

post-41930-1241733396_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1241733409_thumb.jpg

knoxvegas

The trumpet is definitely splitting. Although it's not necessary, you will see faster growth from the trumpets if you feed them. You may have to wait 'til actinics or moonlights come on, and/or you may have to prompt them a little with food several times in order to get the feeding tentacles to come out, but they will definetly respond. Mine eat mysis, brine or even small pellets.

Here's a pic of a couple mushrooms that I got recently. These grow amazingly fast as it was only about a 1/2" two weeks ago and now is close to 2". Anybody know the name of this mushroom?

Thanks,

Mushroom.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to share an update on my tank. Everything seems to doing well as there is continued growth. We are really enjoying this tank. Here's some recent photos. I would like to thank everyone that has helped me out so far. Please continue with your input on the tanks progress.

052109_1.jpg

052109_2.jpg

052109_3.jpg

052109_4.jpg

052109_6.jpg

052109_7.jpg

052109_8.jpg

I wanted to share another update on my tank progress. All seems to be growing well and I have added a couple new additions.

FTS

060609_1.jpg

Green Ric. Do you know why it looks like this? The other one looks normal.

060609_2.jpg

Normal ric

060609_3.jpg

Mushroom

060609_4.jpg

New Mushroom addition

060609_6.jpg

Yellow Polyps, growing like crazy.

060609_7.jpg

Zoos

060609_8.jpg

Older Zoos growing

060609_9.jpg

Firstreefer

You're tank is looking really good. What are you running in the rear chambers? I'm just getting a 22 gallon started and so far haven't figured out what to put in for good filtration.

Thanks for the comment. My nanocube is an older one that has 4 chambers.

1st- filter floss (Walmart) and heater.

2nd- fuge with chaeto

3rd- chemi-pure elite

4th- maxijet 1200 for return

I also started adding Reef Plus once a week after 1gal water change.

Firstreefer

Thanks for the reply. I'm running the same filtration, less the chemi-pure. My tank looks to be doing well without, but I want the best quality water for my corals.

I love that big shroom...what type is it?

Nice tank dude.

Thanks. I think the mushroom is called a spotted mushroom. I'm new to SW so I'm not quite sure. I really like the mushrooms, I will add some others soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to share some recent pics of my tank. I have aquired a few more corals since my last update. A fellow reefer was breaking her tank down and made me a great deal. Let me know what you think. Thanks,

FTS (1st w/flash and 2nd without)

061409_5.jpg

061409_1.jpg

Red Mushroom

061519_6.jpg

Striped Mushroom

061519_10.jpg

061519_2.jpg

Zoas (not sure what there called)

061519_3.jpg

061519_5.jpg

Blue Mushroom

061519_4.jpg

Nice. I like really like the idea of lower light, simple tanks. I picked up an older 12g NC to do this with, but it's still sitting and waiting. Eventually.

Archived